GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,662
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, Matthew1
» Online Users: 1,588
2 members and 1,586 guests
g41965, Goldenpansy

Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

HELP! Sophomore Rush?

Hey guys! I'm from a small (very small) little town in Oklahoma! I was a cheerleader from second grade all throughout high school before I came to college, and I am a freshman this year. Basically I have been really lonely lately. I have a few close friends, but coming out of the town I came from I knew EVERYONE. I was always apart of something with cheerleading too. I helped with my confidence, discipline, not too mention meeting new people and making friends! Ever since I came to college I have been really missing that. I have really been thinking about rushing here lately for next fall, but I will be a sophomore. I was just wondering how to the rush process works and what it's like being a sophomore and going through that. Also, I never rushed to begin with because I wasn't sure if I was sorority "material" I have an awesome personality (if I do say so myself) and I'm really easy to get along with, but I'm worried that I need more than that. I'm a true blue country girl. I smoke Marlboro reds, drink beer with the guys, and wear blue jeans and cute T-shirt most every where I go, with the exception of the occasional big party. I'm not really one for wearing heels or frilly dresses or anything like that a lot of the time. My main thing is, I want my social life back!!! I'm so lonely that I ACTUALLY miss high school a little...yuck! I want to make new friends that will last a lifetime and have fun with other girls who share my same interests, do date parties, and just have fun in college! I'm scared that my "tomboyish" personality will keep me from getting in one of the houses that I want. I don't know if I should go through rush because of this or not, but I need help! I would love for some advice from anyone who can help with this. Thank you guys so much!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Try and fail but never fail to try.

Honestly, you're buying way too much into the sorority stereotype. If you want a social life, there are clubs you can join. Going Greek is a whole other experience.

It is about brotherhood, or sisterhood in your case. If you feel like you have to act a certain way to become "sorority material" then why should you join? It is about being comfortable with them to show your true self.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

They have cheerleaders in second grade? For what? Who can climb the highest on the jungle gym?

I'm so glad I grew up when I did, and where I did.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, it's like little league.

but back to the question at hand, we can't tell you how your rush will work out, and smoking Marlboro reds is not something to brag about.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 12-12-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
They have cheerleaders in second grade? For what? Who can climb the highest on the jungle gym?

I'm so glad I grew up when I did, and where I did.
Yep for little league sports (football and basketball.) My mom coached it. THere are even competitive teams for kids that young. It's not really a Southern or other small town thing, either. It's pretty much everywhere.

/hijack.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is anyone under the age of 25 smoking?? As dangerous as we grew up knowing it is, why would you start? I can see those who started before all the health info was being pushed, but why anyone would start smoking now is beyond me. Stupid.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Why is anyone under the age of 25 smoking?? As dangerous as we grew up knowing it is, why would you start? I can see those who started before all the health info was being pushed, but why anyone would start smoking now is beyond me. Stupid.
And then bragging about it, including about what brand, like it makes them cool. No, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you sound trashy.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
And then bragging about it, including about what brand, like it makes them cool. No, it doesn't make you cool, it makes you sound trashy.
I get the "bragging about it," but are you really shocked that people under 25 smoke?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I get the "bragging about it," but are you really shocked that people under 25 smoke?
No, I'm not shocked. But I still think they're stupid.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yanno guys that's why I asked for some help. I am absolutely not bragging abou smoking. It's Unattractive, expensive and it smells terrible but I've smoked since I was 16 and it's not a big deal where I'm from. Please understand that the reason I mentioned it IS because I'm buying to much into the sorority stereo type it's all I have to go off of I don't know anything about it, that's why I came on this board and wanted help. My main point was I don't wanna change myself for other people, cigarettes and all I'm a great person and love the person I am. Once again due to the fact that the only thing I'm basing a sorOrity off of may be misleading, that's why I'm here. Please be respectful, I really would like some advice! If material things isn't what a sorority is about then tell me what is! I'm lost here and could really use some advice.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

And to Kirain-I don't want to change myself. My biggest question is I'm worried I won't find a house I fit with because of some of my qualities, such as smoking and the fact that let's face it, I don't have much of a sense of style. Basically how important ARE those materialistic aspects? Mainly in rush but for anytime time thereafter too.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM

If people wouldn't give you a bid because you smoke, or because of your personality, it probably isn't a sorority you would like being in. Screw 'em.

That being said, dressing up more is something you're going to have to do as you get older, sorority or not. Don't be That Girl when you graduate from college who goes into corporate interviews in a belly shirt. Check out some of the style guides in the bookstore to get some ideas of how to dress more grown-up.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt_Danielle View Post
Yanno guys that's why I asked for some help. I am absolutely not bragging abou smoking. It's Unattractive, expensive and it smells terrible but I've smoked since I was 16 and it's not a big deal where I'm from. Please understand that the reason I mentioned it IS because I'm buying to much into the sorority stereo type it's all I have to go off of I don't know anything about it, that's why I came on this board and wanted help. My main point was I don't wanna change myself for other people, cigarettes and all I'm a great person and love the person I am. Once again due to the fact that the only thing I'm basing a sorOrity off of may be misleading, that's why I'm here. Please be respectful, I really would like some advice! If material things isn't what a sorority is about then tell me what is! I'm lost here and could really use some advice.
Smoking not being a "big deal" where you're from doesn't make it less likely to kill you.

Anyway, we can't answer these questions because it depends on too many different factors. Your best bet is just to bite the bullet and rush. Best case scenario you find a great chapter that you fit in - worst case you meet some girls during rush to hang out with.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah I guess your right. Well does anyone know about doing sophomore rush? Are sophomores less preferred? Ive heard you really need to know someone in a house
To get a bid as a sophomore, is that kind of true?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Also I would need Recs. How does getting those work? One of my sisters friends was a G-Phi but if I rush I'd be more interested in Zeta, Theta, Chi O or Tri Delt. Can she write my rec for those houses or just G-Phi?