GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,652
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, willTic
» Online Users: 1,147
0 members and 1,147 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a note from a mother who has had a daughter go through recruitment this year: The sentence, which other posters have picked up on is crucial: Isn't this supposed to be what I want? You know, my daughter may have "wanted" a pony, but she got a puppy. Then she had a choice: love the puppy or not have a pet. She picked the puppy. Life is not always about what you want, it is about what you get and how you handle the gift that you have received.

I am sorry that you are disappointed.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifferini View Post

Also, would it be wise to contact the president of the sorority I like to ask them if they have open recruitment later on?
This really depends on your school. At some, it's ok to inquire about open/informal recruitment opportunities. At others, it's a no-no and you'have to be invited to attend. It just depends.

Keep in mind that after formal recruitment, chapters may have taken quota of new members and as a result, are over total and unable to take anymore new girls..

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, for the record, my example about my daughter in no way reflected on her recruitment. In case her sisters are reading this she was fortunate enough to get HER pony. But I now know several girls who didn't get the pony and are really happy with their choices.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I'm going to try recruitment again. Thanks for the feedback. It was just weird because the chapter that invited me back was one I didn't feel any connection with. And I felt a connection with the others so I was just wondering if they didn't feel the connection with me.

Also, would it be wise to contact the president of the sorority I like to ask them if they have open recruitment later on?
Chapters generally want every PNM to want them, regardless of how the active speaking to the PNM or the chapter feels about a particular PNM.

Some chapters have a greater number of skilled conversationalists than others.

We really don't know why you were cut, because we were not there. And even if we were there, membership selection is private and we wouldn't share it anyway.

Trying again with a chapter who cut you after round 1 seems like a long shot to me. Unless almost everyone on your campus had recs and you didn't.

Last edited by violetpretty; 09-23-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone ever gone into recruitment more than once and come out with a different result the second (or third) time?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Your greek life office is the appropriate place to ask about the chapters that participate in open recruitment. They will tell you how to proceed.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I felt a connection with the others so I was just wondering if they didn't feel the connection with me.
Maybe the actives who recruited you did feel a connection with you, but every other active may have felt a connection with other PNMs too.

Every year during Workshop week I give the same speech to our actives and only the numbers change. This year: "There are about 150 of you and Quota will be 70-80. If each of you has a "Rush Crush" or a good friend or a relative going through, then half of you are going to be disappointed."
Old 09-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ever gone into recruitment more than once and come out with a different result the second (or third) time?
Alot of this depends.

Any number of things could happen.

There are some schools where 2nd time PNMs have zero chance of getting a bid at all. Then there are some where it is no big deal.

There's the possibility that you could rush again and be invited back to the SAME chapter you were invited back to this year.

You could also be released from EVERY chapter.

It just depends. If you are going into rush a second time only wanting certain chapters, you're likely going to be disappointed

You also have to ask yourself "what is going to be so different about me next year that could change the result?" Example: Some girls get cut heavily for prro grades, get their grades up, rush the next year, and get a bid.

Generally speaking, prepare yourself to potentially have a similar outcome the 2nd time, because that could happen.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

If your college is a more selective college, then the problem is that even though you have incredible grades, activities, and positions, it is likely that every other PNM has the same level of grades, activities and positions. You all did get into the same school.

For example, if you are at at school where a person with a 2.5 GPA can enter, then the grades are going to range from 2.5 all the way up to 4.3 women who got scholarships. But what if the acceptance rate is trickier? What if you essentially need a 3.7 to get in to your college? Your 3.85 is going to look considerably less impressive. Not only that but the chapters may not even care that much about grades, seeing as 95% of the PNMs are coming in with outstanding high school grades.

In my opinion, rush ANYWHERE at ANY SCHOOL boils down to conversation. Grades and activities do matter, but at the end of the day if you come off as abrasive, or shy, or boring or a spazz then they are going to release you in favor of somebody with the same grades and activities but who is outgoing, genuine, hilarious or classy.

If you plan to rush next year, I would work on conversation. Asking questions is great, but if you ask TOO many questions you can easily fade into that "I don't really remember her" category. Maybe you asked insightful questions about philanthropy the whole time, but when the next PNM came to the active they talked about the active's favorite TV show or shoe designer the whole time...who do you think is going to stand out in the rusher's mind? Philanthropy and housing points and positions are all very important, but you do have to remember you are being rushed by 18-21 year old women. At the end of the day, most would rather have a sister that they can go out with or watch a TV show marathon with or goof around with in class.

If sophomores routinely get bids at your school, then you may have a shot next year. But, like KSU Violet said, "what is going to be so different about you next year?" I'd focus on conversation and meeting new people. Buy and read and re-read and re-re-read Dale Carnegie's "How to Make Friends and Influence People"...you would be surprised at how simple and how effective this man's advice is. It is a classic for a reason. Join organizations, not just to have them on your resume but to meet as many people as possible. Go out and be social at parties, meet as many people as possible, but also don't be that girl who blacks-out/pukes/shacks too much/does drugs/smokes, etc. And meet people to meet them, not to get into their sorority...we can smell that from a mile away.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Gone into recruitment with an open mind and not wanting just one or two chapters? Depending on the campus and the PNM, yes a different result can happen.

Gone into recruitment wanting just one chapter (that most likely cut them the previous year)? Unless the PNM is now BFFs with a majority of the girls in that chapter, it's very unlikely a different result will occur.

I wonder how many times a PNM says she didn't feel a "connection" with a chapter when what she really means is she thought they were "beneath" her.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Gone into recruitment wanting just one chapter (that most likely cut them the previous year)? Unless the PNM is now BFFs with a majority of the girls in that chapter, it's very unlikely a different result will occur.
Honestly too, I've seen women befriend half of a sororities pledge class...we are talking those were her best friends on campus...and still get released because just enough other women in the chapter STILL didn't think this PNM was right for the chapter or classy enough.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
Honestly too, I've seen women befriend half of a sororities pledge class...we are talking those were her best friends on campus...and still get released because just enough other women in the chapter STILL didn't think this PNM was right for the chapter or classy enough.

So true. It gets said alot that girls should "meet sorority women."

Well, it's true that meeting people is good...unless the girls you are meeting just happen to NOT think that you're a good fit. Then it won't really help. It will likely hurt you more than anything.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
If you plan to rush next year, I would work on conversation. Asking questions is great, but if you ask TOO many questions you can easily fade into that "I don't really remember her" category. Maybe you asked insightful questions about philanthropy the whole time, but when the next PNM came to the active they talked about the active's favorite TV show or shoe designer the whole time...who do you think is going to stand out in the rusher's mind? Philanthropy and housing points and positions are all very important, but you do have to remember you are being rushed by 18-21 year old women. At the end of the day, most would rather have a sister that they can go out with or watch a TV show marathon with or goof around with in class.
I don't think it's so much that the conversation is not "fun" when you ask questions, but more that your rusher isn't learning about what it'd be like to hang out with you.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

The one thing I have not seen written here so far, is that while sometimes it IS something you did .... sometimes, it's just not.

On the larger campuses, with hundreds of PNM's, at the top houses, it's so much of a numbers game that you may not have been actively discussed as a "cut" at all. Rather, your score averages could have been just a hair too low, and one or more groups were asked to invite back fewer PNM's than expected, and you got swept out in that process. The numerical difference between the girl who stays and the girl who goes, could be as little as .03 or .04 of a point.

So, if you know you looked fine and had good conversations, and did not spend each and every conversation using the word "I" over and over (as it appears, used often, in a post above this one), then perhaps you should just move forward and not take it so very personally.

Next year, you'll stand out because you'll have earned tip-top grades, and you'll have solid activities to talk about, interesting but not "stalkerish" questions to ask about each house, and will have an even more sophisticated look.

Yes, it's tricky at some schools to go through as a second-year student, but "stellar sophomores" typically do just fine. Chapters like freshmen because it's four years of dues -- but a 2nd year who is a great role model for her first-year sisters, is always a bonus!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
I wonder how many times a PNM says she didn't feel a "connection" with a chapter when what she really means is she thought they were "beneath" her.
I genuinely didn't feel that ANY of the sororities were beneath me. I was definitely not even thinking about that.