GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,685
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zaluscahvso8407
» Online Users: 1,213
1 members and 1,212 guests
mlanderson

Old 01-16-2004, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Positive news about Delta Chi at U of Pittsburgh

Front page story today in the Pitt news, pretty positive article. Although the way it's written it makes it seem like DX is the only fraternity that doesn't haze. From everything I've heard, they've really made a great impression on campus. This was a colonization that was done the right way. They have quality brothers, a great reputation, and are already one of the biggest fraternities on campus.

Link to Article

Colony looks to join Greek community
By ANASTASIA STERANKO
Staff Writer
January 16, 2004

While some pledges on campus were trying to make it through the infamous "Hell Week" last semester for their fraternities, the new members of Delta Chi joined their brothers to play a football game on the Cathedral of Learning's lawn.
Last fall was the first semester for the anti-hazing colony on Pitt's campus. John Martin, the group's president, began working to create a Delta Chi chapter at Pitt last May.

"What we were looking for wasn't quite out there," Martin said. Originally created as a law fraternity in 1889 at Cornell University, the Delta Chi fraternity embodies the qualities of academic excellence, he said.

The nearest local chapter, at Duquesne University, runs a charity event called "Can the Van," where they take canned goods to local food banks. Martin hopes Pitt's group will be able to organize similar charity events in the future.

"We are looking forward to being a part of the Greek Community," he said.

Matt Killingsworth, director of chapter services for Delta Chi, has worked with the founders of Pitt's chapter.

"They have taken an active approach - a lot of the members already had experience," he said.

Delta Chi does not haze pledges before they become full members.

"We feel the best way to establish a fraternity is to build members up, not tear them down," Killingsworth said. "Unfortunately, with hazing, the perception of it does damage."

That was one of the factors that led sophomore Matt Barron to join Delta Chi during the fall.

"Hazing really just perpetuates the idea that the status of 'brother' must be earned," Barron said. When Barron came to college, he wanted to join a fraternity. After reading about Delta Chi, he was impressed by the work-hard, play-hard mentality.

"[I hoped to] not join a frat just to join one, but to join one with a long history and a good reputation," he added.

Some of the famous alumni of the fraternity include President Benjamin Harrison, William Jennings Bryan, Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher.

Martin also pointed out that academics will be one of Delta Chi's main concerns.

"Everyone is going to have to realize academics remain priority," Martin said.

But he said he also realizes the need for more than just strong academic achievement in a fraternity.

"We want everyone to be balanced," Martin said.

Barron said, "The current and future members of Delta Chi have [been], and will continue to be, respected for the quality of their character and the commitment they show not only to Delta Chi, but in all of the goals they pursue."
Old 01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Positive news about Delta Chi at U of Pittsburgh

Delta Chi does not haze pledges before they become full members.

That part makes it sound like they haze them AFTER they become members. Better to have said they don't haze. Period.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
They also got the year of Delta Chi's founding wrong (1890), but who's counting?

All national fraternities intend for all of their chapters and colonies to be hazing free. I hope that this colony really is, and that most of Pitt's fraternities are also hazing free.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
They also got the year of Delta Chi's founding wrong (1890), but who's counting?

Kids today. *sigh* They just don't make Pitt News copy editors like they used to (typed while nodding in a self-satisfied manner)

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see something (mostly) good about the greek system. I don't think I've seen that since the picture of XYZ sisters canning in their bikinis they ran on the front page in the 80's!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

This article was not well received in the Greek community. In the first sentence it implies that all other fraternities’ haze and does so throughout the article. I heard that many of the Delta Chi's were not happy with the article especially because it came out only a week before the IFC recognition vote.

Just another example of the Pitt News at its best.