GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,614
2 members and 1,612 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't know if I should purchase it or not. I've been in touch with our employee inquiry people to get more information about coordination of benefits and it sounds like I might have to meet BOTH deductibles if I get the student health insurance. At the same time, I don't want hypo to worry about how to pay for the medications or vaccinations they may deem necessary at student health service while she's having a medical issue. They won't bill any other insurance so she would have to pay out of pocket on the spot for any medications issued at health service. Given her peanut allergy, which might require emergency treatment and her asthma which might require emergency steroids or albuterol, I don't want her to NOT go in because she doesn't have money to pay for it. On the other hand, I don't want to pay $1300 for the insurance and then have an extra $250 deductible to meet either. Ugh. I have to decide by August 1st.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I really don't know if I should purchase it or not. I've been in touch with our employee inquiry people to get more information about coordination of benefits and it sounds like I might have to meet BOTH deductibles if I get the student health insurance. At the same time, I don't want hypo to worry about how to pay for the medications or vaccinations they may deem necessary at student health service while she's having a medical issue. They won't bill any other insurance so she would have to pay out of pocket on the spot for any medications issued at health service. Given her peanut allergy, which might require emergency treatment and her asthma which might require emergency steroids or albuterol, I don't want her to NOT go in because she doesn't have money to pay for it. On the other hand, I don't want to pay $1300 for the insurance and then have an extra $250 deductible to meet either. Ugh. I have to decide by August 1st.
That is a tough call! I am getting the same feedback from our health insurance company as well on deductible. The other thing is that the Health Center on her campus seems to be open so little she would have to go to a clinic most of the time anyway. That is what is holding me up...
Old 07-14-2012, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe we need a thread on this topic. lol
Old 07-14-2012, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I recommend that you just carry her on yours. Student insurance is totally worthless.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We're just going to continue carrying our daughter on my insurance. I called my insurance company and she's all set, although they will process her claims through the "out-of-state" arm that handles us if I'm sick/hurt on vacation, overseas, etc. I've never actually had any claims of that sort, so I hope it all runs smoothly.

BTW, the paperwork for adding/waiving student health insurance was specifically addressed "to the parents of_____"

Also addressed this way: a card with instructions for her to officially add our e-mail to her student account billing statements.

I also seem to recall a FERPA waiver form, so that we could see her grades.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Just went back into the thread for Texas Bid Day thread and thought, "wait, is this the right thread?"

Lol...six degrees of lane swerve...from Bid Day to Student Health Insurance.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, as long as this thread is already derailed, and we're kind of talking about how adult these kids are and where to draw the line let me just say...it isn't always the parent...sometimes the school seems equally confused about the lines separating young adults from adults and I offer an ironic little tale as a case in point.

My daughter's first school sent us an email asking if we wanted to be contacted in case of a school-wide emergency. We assumed this meant a Virginia-Tech type of situation or a serious threat, so we signed on stating we would like to be notified.

November rolls around and we get an emergency email from them. We go into panic mode wondering what the heck has happened. What's the emergency? Lots of snow. They've cancelled school. Gee, thanks. Good to know. We'll be racing right on up there to.....yeah, I don't even know what they thought we were going to do or why we needed to know this .

This same school would NOT give us one iota of financial or health information on her (not that we asked on the latter) even though we filled out all of the finacial aide paperwork, we provided all of her health insurance, and we paid all of the bills unless we had written consent from her.

So apparently our 18 year old daughter was adult enough to handle some rather complicated financial aide and family health insurance issues, but wouldn't know what to do with a snow day? Okay.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

That's HIPAA in action. You can't know your spouse's medical information without a waiver either.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Yeah, I'm familiar with HIPPA (worked for a health insurance company briefly) and was okay with that (I wouldn't call to ask about her health information anyway), but it struck me as funny that given that the school regarded her as an adult in those respects (despite the fact she had to call me constantly to get health insurance info and financial aide info straightened out), they for some reason felt it was necessary to email us and let us know they had cancelled school due to snow using their emergency system no less.

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-15-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

I like it when universities want you to sign something that says that you'll pay your student's housing bill if the loan (which came through THEM) falls through while the kid is in college. Not gonna sign that.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I also got something in the mail about tuition insurance. So if something happens, like a medical emergency, and she has to withdraw from the term, the tuition will be paid. Is there an insurance for everything?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I would check on how good that tuition insurances is. Some schools if you have to withdraw for serious medical reasons, you can take a medical withdrawal so that it will not hurt your GPA and also get tuition refunded or held to pay for the following semester.

At other schools, you can take the medical withdrawal so that it doesn't hurt your grades, but if the midterm date has already passed - all of your tuition for that semester is still due.