GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,156
2 members and 2,154 guests
aeizabethmaarle, FrankJScott

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2016, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Recruitment Questions

Ok I'm a bit confused as to recruitment with professional - my two older daughters were in social sororities. My younger wanted professional as her entire life has been Agriculture related. Served as an officer in 4-H since 3rd grade. Officer in FFA - Girls State held the Dept of Agriculture position. Taught 4-H as a peer leader in the state to elementary children. Already had an Internship in Ag before starting her Frehman year. Raised on a large farm and her major is one in AG. She was told she could go through Panhellenic Rush but could not accept a bid. If she did she would not be allowed to join Sigma Alpha. She did go through Rush and got bids but turned them down because she knew her heart was in Ag. They Pursued her even having dinners before school started. The week following formal rush they had their week. Everything went great so she thought it was just a small number of girls. Come bid night she and one other girl did not get a bid! She was devastated as this was her life and her kind of group. She didn't drink or party and wanted professional. We will never know the reason that those 5 girls didn't pick her but her one friend who give her the notice handed it to her with tears in her eyes and the recruitment chair even cried. She later went through spring rush and joined a top social sorority on campus. However this year the same thing happen again with a friend of mine daughter. She had been a State FFA officer and was already partly running her family farm. What is going on here?? I though a Professional Sorority was there to encourage and promote women in agriculture...though the girls had Honors grades with tons of Ag leadership. It was their major field and they had many friends and connections already. I feel it's Sigma Alphas loss but why would a professional organization be turning away any women who are making this field their career? I understand if it had been grades, morals, or other rules but there was none of this here. This time they 3 girls didn't get bids. You mean to tell me a small group couldn't take 3 more girls?? Sadly this second girl gave up everything to be a part and was rejected and it was too late for her to get another sorority. Sorry but this is just very messed up! It's professional not social so it shouldn't be treated that way. Base selections on merit not on social meetings for one hour.