GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,613
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Flukenhb
» Online Users: 2,278
1 members and 2,277 guests
FSUZeta
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Why, Biters? Seriously, why?

For all the up & coming national GLOs (and anyone who has insight), why ON EARTH do newer orgs feel the need to "borrow" significant elements from established orgs?

Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. is barely over eleven years old! And, yet, we have younger multicultural sororities (and not just sororities) B-I-T-I-N-G. As many of you already know, I keep track of the madness for Theta Nu Xi over in our spot:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=65551

I don't want this to turn into a stepping/strolling thread, because that is a Greek-wide controversy. I'm talking about organizations specifically stealing elements from established organizations.

So, honestly, why does this happen? What makes someone wake up one day and say, "hmmm...let me see what's up with Greek Life...ooh I like that shield...and ooh I like that mission statement" and then throw then together and call it a sorority/fraternity?

Furthermore, why do people join these organizations and not run in the opposite direction when they see this mess?

Thoughts?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Rhomeo once stole APhiA's pledging and hazing policy word for word on their national website..... I was like come on RHomeo's, I'm like the ONLY person who doesn't clown you and y'all want to steal my frat's policy word for word?

It's not even laziness, it's desperation. At least that's what I think of when it comes to plagiarism.

I don't know why people are more discerning when they join these things.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
For all the up & coming national GLOs (and anyone who has insight), why ON EARTH do newer orgs feel the need to "borrow" significant elements from established orgs?
They're lazy and uncreative?

Quote:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=65551
Holy crap!!

I don't get it...
Old 05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Sigma Rhomeo once stole APhiA's pledging and hazing policy word for word on their national website..... I was like come on RHomeo's, I'm like the ONLY person who doesn't clown you and y'all want to steal my frat's policy word for word?

It's not even laziness, it's desperation. At least that's what I think of when it comes to plagiarism.

I think it's laziness when people are perfectly capable of being creative and doing things on their own. As for Sigma Rhomeo, given their history, they know better!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think it's laziness bred from our present culture of instant gratification. They see something they like. And for whatever their reasons they choose not to pursue it (in the appropriate manner) or in some cases are denied access. They still want to feel/take part in the (perceived) success of the group they are emulating, so they take the easy way/short cut and steal the superficial (i.e. surface) items of a group, most likely not realizing that the group is more than just a collection of mascot, tenets, mission, and colors.

I also think part of the problem is the "I'm A Star Syndrome". Instead of doing some sort of internal reflection when they are denied admittance to an org or are not selected for the initial application process, they think they are being "hated on" by the orgs members. Many seem to fail to realize that their grades, personal conduct, service record etc. need to be improved before they can even be considered for membership. Or in the case of former interest groups turned GLO, they fail to realize that a national organization need not bend to the will of a few (who aren't even members of the org).

Sorry ya'll, that will be my rant for the day. The Youth...they just aren't what they used to be.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

One group took your subject matter one step further; they did not borrow anything, they just took it and just became SAE.
Somehow, in their minds, the addition of their Country's name made all the difference in the world
Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
One group took your subject matter one step further; they did not borrow anything, they just took it and just became SAE.
Somehow, in their minds, the addition of their Country's name made all the difference in the world
WHAT?!?!?! Is this group still in existence?

Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

i call it wannajacketitis.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
WHAT?!?!?! Is this group still in existence?
Yes-They even try to post here every so often.
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/announcement.php?f=90

They have posted on YouTube but some of it has been removed

Last edited by jon1856; 05-05-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Unhappy

It takes a lot of time, work (and blood, sweat and tears....sorry if I sound cliche) to create all of the details that make a fraternity or sorority unique. In my opinion, I really feel bad to those who join organizations that have excessively borrowed from others. It's like they are cheating their members...their own brothers and sisters. Yeah, so it makes me more sad than mad really.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror Moderator - could you just delete the previous two posts?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Make sure you report them, too.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This is interesting. So we "stole" from your frat? You should really verify your information BEFORE you say things which are inaccurate. There are SEVERAL members of APhiA who are ALSO members of Sigma Rhomeo. Some of these men were instrumental in the organization of Rhomeo after we initially seperated from SGRho in 1980.

I do not doubt what you are saying, but in this age of "cookie-cutter" orgs, how is what we allegedly did any different from one org using another org's moves on the stage or community service ideas in another region? May I remind you of the whole Masonry/Alpha dispute?

And why WOULD you clown us? Interesting, indeed.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rhomeo View Post
I do not doubt what you are saying
Then what's your point? All of that cartwheeling for nothing.

ETA: If you all did "borrow" "steal" "whatever" from APhiA, it doesn't matter if some of Rhomeos were also Alphas.

On another note:

LOL...Senusret made a Sigma Rhomeo appear.

It's like...magic.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 05-16-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rhomeo View Post
This is interesting. So we "stole" from your frat? You should really verify your information BEFORE you say things which are inaccurate. There are SEVERAL members of APhiA who are ALSO members of Sigma Rhomeo. Some of these men were instrumental in the organization of Rhomeo after we initially seperated from SGRho in 1980.

I do not doubt what you are saying, but in this age of "cookie-cutter" orgs, how is what we allegedly did any different from one org using another org's moves on the stage or community service ideas in another region? May I remind you of the whole Masonry/Alpha dispute?

And why WOULD you clown us? Interesting, indeed.
Okay, first of all, I don't think you're a Sigma Rhomeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Then what's your point? All of that cartwheeling for nothing.

On another note:

LOL...Senusret made a Sigma Rhomeo appear.

It's like...magic.

I know! Why does it take five times for Candyman and three times for Beetlejuice, but only one for Rhomeos??? UGH.
Closed Thread