GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,599
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, et23
» Online Users: 1,216
3 members and 1,213 guests
oncegreek

Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Question for all my sorority girls!

Okay I am a sigma chi rush helper and brought out a friend who was a zeta to a party this weekend.
She ended up spending the night there, in one of the members rooms since her ride back had to take another person home who got sick. I know for a delta zeta this is against rules for them and can get them on probation, but I was told by a sigma chi that it was okay for alpha chi omega girls too.
what is the general standard on it is it ran by NPC, each chapter, or the sorority it's self, or what? I just know one of my friends may be in a lot of trouble, and if the other rush helpers are putting themselves at risk too. I want to be able to warn the girls who should and shouldn't be going up stairs at the fraternity houses with letters on them, that way nobody will be getting in trouble from a great weekend at sigma chi.

I am most concerned on the rules for, Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, Alpha Chi Omega, and Zeta

Last edited by Greekgal1990; 03-09-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 PM

I don't believe any national sorority has a national policy against going upstairs/sleeping upstairs at a fraternity house, but indivdual chapters may. Check your chapter bylaws for that info. NPC does not enforce such a rule, so if there is one, it is most likely on the chapter level.

I can tell you that there are some national organizations who may frown upon their members serving as "XYZ Fraternity Rush Hostesses/Helpers" but again, I'd check your national policies for that information.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Very true

Yes it is frowned upon to be a rush helper by some of our sororities on campus, but I know we do a candle lighting ceremony for when we are asked to become sweethearts, or something to that rank, or value in the fraternity, but I can't be a sweetheart until I rush help 1-2 more semesters, so until then I just don't post it on facebook, or any social networks, but once we become sweethearts it's an honor. I just know that a delta zeta asked me why I let her go in the house, so I then realized it may be an issue. I know that my friend has already been asked to stay after for her meeting tonight, which may have to do with this weekend, but thank you so much... I honestly wouldn't want to be the girl who went in there after dark. But a few of the sigma chi's just let me know our alpha chi omega is okay with their girls going in.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekgal1990 View Post
Okay I am a sigma chi rush helper and brought out a friend who was a zeta to a party this weekend.
She ended up spending the night there, in one of the members rooms since her ride back had to take another person home who got sick. I know for a delta zeta this is against rules for them and can get them on probation, but I was told by a sigma chi that it was okay for alpha chi omega girls too.
what is the general standard on it is it ran by NPC, each chapter, or the sorority it's self, or what? I just know one of my friends may be in a lot of trouble, and if the other rush helpers are putting themselves at risk too. I want to be able to warn the girls who should and shouldn't be going up stairs at the fraternity houses with letters on them, that way nobody will be getting in trouble from a great weekend at sigma chi.

I am most concerned on the rules for, Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, Alpha Chi Omega, and Zeta
qfp
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking as an Alpha Chi Omega, I have never heard of a national policy of going upstairs at at fraternity house. Fraternities are housed on my campus- but most parties are not held on their premises, so that may play a factor.

However, my general feeling would be it's either 1) a chapter rule or 2) something you guys keep passing around as fact when it's not.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Out of curiosity- why do you care? These girls are all college age students they don't need you to remind them of the rules they should be responsible to know of these rules if they exist at your particular campus.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph888 View Post
Out of curiosity- why do you care? These girls are all college age students they don't need you to remind them of the rules they should be responsible to know of these rules if they exist at your particular campus.
She's got a point. If any woman is willing to break her group's rules, then she needs to be ready to face the consequences.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
She's got a point. If any woman is willing to break her group's rules, then she needs to be ready to face the consequences.
My mom used to tell me "You can do whatever the hell you want. Just be willing to face whatever happens to you as a result of that."

To the OP, just mind your own business.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude, what do the girls who have boyfriends in the house or are habitual shackers do? I guess they don't get no satisfaction. Bummer.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's strange to have any say over whether or not a woman (over age 18) can spend a night with a man. There may or may not be technical regulations on it based on the greek org. or university housing, but I think it would be safe to assume those regulations, if they exist, wouldn't actually be followed.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

On my campus and a few others that I am familiar with, it is generally frowned upon to shack up at a fraternity house, although there are no hard and fast rules. I believe that would be up to the individual chapter, and those girls should know their own chapter's stand. Yet, on one the one hand, it can make your organization look bad, especially if your car or something is outside the fraternity house at 7 am. When people ride by, they do not think"oh.. Jane shacked at the XYZ house again." Its "a ABC shacked at the XYZs house!" Or "gracious, did you hear about the ABC that shacked at the XYZ house last night?"

On the other hand, it can make you look bad personally. You do not want to be known as the girl who always shacks at a certain house (or multiple houses!). It is just not classy or discrete.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

slight hijack/rant

I hate it when people campaign for the position of sweetheart. Its not something you can apply for nor is it something you should have to earn. Its an honor bestowed on a woman who has become a friend to the members of a chapter. You shouldn't have to do them favors or bake them cookies or do anything like that, Real sweethearts become sweethearts because they do things out of the kindness of their hearts without any thought of the possibility of becoming sweetheart in their minds. And no matter what they tell you sleeping with multiple members makes you XYZ slut not XYZ sweetheart.

End hijack.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
slight hijack/rant

I hate it when people campaign for the position of sweetheart. Its not something you can apply for nor is it something you should have to earn. Its an honor bestowed on a woman who has become a friend to the members of a chapter. You shouldn't have to do them favors or bake them cookies or do anything like that, Real sweethearts become sweethearts because they do things out of the kindness of their hearts without any thought of the possibility of becoming sweetheart in their minds. And no matter what they tell you sleeping with multiple members makes you XYZ slut not XYZ sweetheart.

End hijack.
Amen.

As to the OP, quit being miss nebby and let your friends in other sororities deal with their own sisters with their own policies. It's absolutely none of your business.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the Mu Omicron Mu sorority is the only one with IHQ policy against shacking. The DAD fraternity will actually kick you out.

ETA: when you say you'd hate for anyone to get "in trouble" with a smiley face at the end do you mean like Penny got "in trouble" in Dirty Dancing? Because that would jsut be funny.

Last edited by annabella; 03-10-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
ETA: when you say you'd hate for anyone to get "in trouble" with a smiley face at the end do you mean like Penny got "in trouble" in Dirty Dancing? Because that would jsut be funny.
LOL!!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!