GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,262
0 members and 1,262 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2001, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Post I need some advice please.

I have decided to go through RUSH in the fall. I've gone through and read posts about how I should be myself and everything. My question is: I am an extremely shy person until I get to know people, how will this make me look to the sorority girls that don't know me?I am afraid that I will come across as stuck up rather than shy. I'm afraid that my shyness will be my downfall. However,once I feel comfortable with people I really open up.What can I do to either make myself more comfortable immediately or let people know that I'm just shy?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2001, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I was always shy until I did the Greek thing! I pledged a Fraternity and got balled. Booted!, I screwed my self up and started my on local.
We got a big 0 our first rush. we went out and recruited new members.
But remember they want to sell themselves to you as bad as you want to sell yoursef to them. It is a two way street!!! Great Luck to You!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 04-29-2001, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Really the only thing is too just be yourself, if you try to be something your not, then it will show more greatly then just chilling. Have fun with rush, rush is not all about the stress that some people go through, just relax, have fun, learn a little, meet new people, and just be yourself, and I am sure you will do great during rush
Wishing you the best of luck
DGPhoney~

------------------
"Simply the Best, Delta Gamma Pi"
http://everythingblack.websitenow.com/citron
Old 04-29-2001, 05:42 AM
Unregistered-

Greek_Girl,

Congratulations on taking that first step--WANTING to rush!

As a member I don't hold it against a rushee if she's shy. At our Recruitment last Fall, one of my sisters (I'm so glad to call her my sister now that she's initiated) was the EPITOME of shyness. However, looking back, what I most appreciated about her was that she made the effort to be open and accepting. She wasn't very talkative at the events, but the fact that she was WILLING to talk and learn more was what made the difference in bid selection.

Leslie Anne makes a good point when she says to sit and think of what you would like to learn about the sororities. Elizabeth came to rush knowing what our philanthropy is, and from there she began talking about some community service she's done. I remember being one of the first sisters to talk to her, and we began a conversation about the Bay Area (where she's from) that lasted the whole night.

I wish you the best of luck, and please keep us posted with Fall Rush!

------------------
"Stress is toxic. It's a poison that makes me wanna throw up."--Me, on the aftermath of the UHPA Professors' strike

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 04-29-2001, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Greek Girl,
I kind of feel the same way. I am very shy when it comes to some people. If i feel intimidated by them then it makes it very hard for me to open up, but if they seem like they are very down to earth and friendly then i dont have a problem. When going through rush its important to find a house where you fit in and can be yourself. I personally havent been through rush yet, but hopefully you will meet a house where you find girls like this and make it easier for you to open up and strike up a conversation. When you do find this house then you will know its for you. I wish you the best of luck during rush and keep us updated
Old 04-29-2001, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ya'll!Hearing about other people's experiences and getting advice are really making me feel better.I will keep ya'll posted and thanks again!
Old 04-29-2001, 04:28 PM

Greek_Girl,

If you don't have a summer job yet, get one in which you have to interact with people constantly - food service, retail, etc. It won't be glamourous but it will help you loosen up as far as talking to people is concerned.

When you find the house that's right for you, it may be easier than you think to open up and talk to the sisters.