GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,568
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Weaponxcq
» Online Users: 2,131
3 members and 2,128 guests
archeltopz8346, indygphib, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Tenn. K-Sigs "saved" by free speech. AMAZING!!!

Knoxville, Tennessee-AP -- Free speech trumps sensitivity at the University of Tennessee.
The school has decided not to penalize six white fraternity members who painted their faces black to appear as the Jackson 5.

A statement on the U-T Web site says the university is committed to protecting free speech, "even when some find it to be insensitive and offensive."

School officials warn that the incident recalls earlier times, when minstrel shows depicted blacks as ignorant simpletons, and should not be seen as an innocent prank.

The Kappa Sigma fraternity suspended its Tennessee chapter last month and apologized.

In the past year, Auburn University, Oklahoma State and the University of Virginia have all dealt
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
The chapter is still suspended though . . .
Old 11-28-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Only at Tennessee

Only at UTennessee would it take six Kappa Sigs in blackface to imitate the Jackson 5.

This is a state where your wealth is measured by the number of rusty cars up on blocks in your yard.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: Only at Tennessee

LMAO

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Only at UTennessee would it take six Kappa Sigs in blackface to imitate the Jackson 5.

This is a state where your wealth is measured by the number of rusty cars up on blocks in your yard.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Only at Tennessee

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

Um . . . I'm from Tennessee, went to UT for the last two years and will be returning next semester . . . Not only is the not the truth. . . I also take offense to that . . . I love my state and school and can't believe anyone would go by a stereotype to judge us . . .

-Jessica
Old 11-29-2002, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
The chapter is still suspended though . . .
Suspended by THEIR NATIONAL OFFICE, not The Universityof Tennessee.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

The University has no business suspending them or doing anything to that effect. If Kappa Sigma (which probably has plenty of willing alum lawyers) took them to court over such an action, the school would lose. It would be a symbollic gesture at best -- a very expensive symbollic gesture.

If you want to go to a PUBLIC university and start the Nazi club that is actually your right. The Nazi club has every bit of a right to exist as any other organization and even the same right to ask for funding from the school.

While I think it is reprehensible what these kids did I will defend their right to be idiots. That's the difference between living in the US and anywhere else.. You take the good with the bad.

I think the organization is reacting correctly though and looks to be handling it well internally.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-29-2002, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I really think it all depends on the context in which it's meant to be taken. I think that if someone genuinely admires someone, then it really shouldn't be taken offensively if they were to dress up as them/imitate them. However, if it was done in ridicule, then that's another story.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
hey! i'm here in tennessee - not to point out the obvious (or accuse the kappa sigs of this) - but there are racist rednecks in every state and every student organization - so don't just blame this poor state...

and - if the kappa sigs fought it - good for them

imho - it's 'bout time that the greek system starts fighting some of this stuff - just cause it was offensive (and i'm not saying it wasn't offensive to some people) doesn't mean that their right to free speech at a state funded institution suddenly disappears.

- marissa
A GD
Old 11-29-2002, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Post A few thoughts

As has been said on other threads (namely by the intelligent and classy IotaNet), what these so-called "men" and "women" did was wrong and offensive. It has horrible historical connotations, and we take offense to it, so don't do it.

Some will defend their right to be idiots, but that doesn't mean that they should be able to get off w/o consequences.

There is no earthly reason that you should express your admiration for the Jackson Five, Louis Armstrong or the Williams sisters by imitating them. Buy CDs, learn to sing, play the trumpet or work on your tennis game instead.

It's 2002, not 1942. There was a civil rights movement that people like me and my parents benefited from, to some degree. And speaking as an educated member of a Greek-letter organization, I'm tired of seeing garbage like this.

I am, however, glad that this is coming to light. To go further, I would love to see some of these cats publicly identified in news accounts, because if I'm a HR person and hiring for a certain company where a diverse workforce is a priority, I want to know if I could be hiring someone who would disrupt my workforce.

As an aside, I'm not sure that if you get more black people in NPC/NIC orgs, such incidents would be reduced.

Last edited by Steeltrap; 11-29-2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to teke4life
steeltrap,
i'm not trying to argue, just understand... isn't the fact that its 2002 and not the 50's, allow us a little leeway to make light of the problems of our past and allow us to confront them. i don't pretend to know the intentions of the men who dressed up like the jackson 5, perhaps it was racially motivated. i'm irish, and i'm not sure i'd be offended if a person not of irish decent dressed up as jack dempsey, or even a leprechaun on st. patty's day. i understand the concept of black-face and agree that its original intent was plain wrong. i just don't necessarily see how dressing up like a celebrity is a racially sensitive issue. should there be a rule that people can only dress as someone who is of the same race? there is a skit on SNL where a white actor portrays jesse jackson and wears dark make up to do so. eddie murphy has played a white character in several of his movies. again, i don't know the guys who dressed up for the party, or what their intention was, but i do know that we often jump to conclusions and stereotype people for all the wrong reasons. ok, i'm running long here. i'm looking forward to a reply, i really just want to understand if i'm way off the mark here.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I am TOTALLY an fan of freedom of speech, I'm just not a fan of its abuse.

I sincerely doubt that these men were dressing up to portray their favorite stars in a flattering manner.

What if these men had attended the party as other offensive images? A rape victim...a World Trade Center casualty...an abortion...or a holocaust survivor? Would you be defending their freedom of speech then?

I guess in the same vein as this thread, you could argue that someone dressed as a WTC victim to "show their patriotism and admiriation of these true heroes".

That's how DUMB this argument is (well...in my opinion at least).

I guess it all lies in your experiences and your values.

Just becuase people have the right to be inconsiderate and rude doesnt mean that they should. These are fraternity men, they're suppossed to be better then that.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xp2k
I am TOTALLY an fan of freedom of speech, I'm just not a fan of its abuse.

I sincerely doubt that these men were dressing up to portray their favorite stars in a flattering manner.

What if these men had attended the party as other offensive images? A rape victim...a World Trade Center casualty...an abortion...or a holocaust survivor? Would you be defending their freedom of speech then?

I guess in the same vein as this thread, you could argue that someone dressed as a WTC victim to "show their patriotism and admiriation of these true heroes".

That's how DUMB this argument is (well...in my opinion at least).

I guess it all lies in your experiences and your values.

Just becuase people have the right to be inconsiderate and rude doesnt mean that they should. These are fraternity men, they're suppossed to be better then that.
Thank you, xp2k, for so eloquently saying what I was thinking. Unfortunately, there's always someone out there who will bring out the "free speech" trump card in order to protect people who are just trying to be obnoxious, rude, hateful, etc.

Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

Dressing up to show admiration for the Jackson 5, my behind
Old 12-16-2002, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xp2k

Yes, as a matter of fact I would. I would think they were disgusting pigs, but I would defend them.

Quote:
[i]
Now I do agree with this. If the fraternity/sorority has a certain image or ideal they strive to attain, and this isn't it (God I hope not!) then they have every right to terminate the charter or suspend or whatever. Because when you join, you take vows agreeing to their rules.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Sir, I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

-Voltaire
Closed Thread