GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 2,147
0 members and 2,147 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
Burned.
I'd have to skip the first class though. And SAE, my department will drop you for missing the first class- UNLESS you have a good reason. And a university sponsored event should be good enough.

ETA: he probably won't be back on here in time to take any advice anyway.
It really depends on the school and the culture. Not all professors are supportive of Greek Life and would not be ok with excusing a student from class to go to rush.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I've found that the first night of class rarely last the whole period--so you might be able to go to class and then still make the fraternity events. There is also the argument that you could attend the first part of class, introduce yourself, sign in, and then leave--but you would certainly be noticed doing so.

Most faculty would not consider fraternity rush a "university sponsored event" and I am pretty sure they would still expect class to be the first priority anyway. I mean, a basketball game is a "university sponsored event" but I can't imagine a professor agreeing that attending as a spectator would be a good reason to miss class. In short, as others have said, you are at the university to get an education--not just to rush.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Duh, I didn't realize in my first post that this is fraternity rush. Aren't the parties kind of come & go when you want? How long do they last? Is there only one chance during the week to go see each fraternity?

I mean, fraternities don't have quotas or totals...it's not like if someone gets a bid from the fraternity you like on Tuesday that they won't be able to give you one on Wednesday. They don't have a "max" that they can take.
Actually it depends on the campus. While the IFC may not have quotas or totals, a chapter might - for what ever reason - have a self imposed quota or total. The more common example is a chapter that bases membership on the number of beds available in their physical house. This is similar to Indiana's and Nebraska's NPC recruitment and each chapter setting its own quota and total. And similar to NPCs and COB/COR recruitment, the number of bids could be filled prior to a rushee even having the chance to visit the chapter.

To be clear, I do not advocate missing class unless one is excused by their professor. If that is not possible, the rushee should make dang sure that any chapters he is interested in understands both his interest and that he is unable to attend during his required class time.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
It seemed like the fraternities at my school were always having rush parties throughout the year and were always extending bids to those they like. It wasn't "time sensitive" like sorority rush was.
In many ways, it is still like that. However, most HQ's (and many universities) now require more structure and regulation in the pledge period. As such, not all chapters have the luxury to take pledges year round. And in some situations, those men that receive a bid "outside" of the normal bidding period might be held over until the following pledge training. A down side is that since they have not been initiated, the rushee might de-pledge and attempt to pledge another fraternity the following semester. Or depending on the campus rules, the chapter could resend the bid.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

just skip class. rush only happens once, and youll be in school or 4 years.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

How about using some good old fashioned etiquette? Let the group know that you were happy to be invited to their event, but that you have class. Let them know that would be interested in being invited to future events.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Talk to the professor AND the office of Greek life.

You never know--if you approach it correctly and make it to all the other classes or a make-up session, you might be able to miss class. If it's a big class that's offered at more than one time, your prof might even let you catch a different time of the same class to make it up.

On the other hand, talking to the office of Greek life could excuse you from the rush event, too. They know you're here to go to class first. Let them know you're still interested in that fraternity and go from there. If your school allows it, maybe catch a few members of that group and let them know yourself that you're still interested in rushing them, but can't make it to the event because of class.

Thing is, you have to TALK to people at your university first. They'd be able to help you out--not GC.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't skip. Meet the bros during the other 22 hours of the day. If it's a swinging good time, it might be possible to meet before class or right after and still meet lots of brothers.

We're very liberal in my chapter about excuses for not making meetings and if somebody says they have to study/attend class, we realize that's why they're in school.

Tom
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on your situation.
What class is it? How important is it?
Do you miss a lot of classes?

Because if this class is something like history where your taught straight out of the textbook, then maybe you should skip, as opposed to a bio lab that is worth marks.
Also, if you never miss class, then its alright if you miss one for a rush event. But if you play a sport and you miss class often, then you should probably go.

I still think you could miss one class for a rush event. It will be worth it.
But if you do go to class, just go hang out at the house some other time.
During Rush, you are always welcome at the house just to hang out with the guys and get to know them better.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think this issue matters to him anymore.