GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,613
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Flukenhb
» Online Users: 2,103
2 members and 2,101 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-08-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

ENOUGH with the boy bands!

Ew...there's this dorky boy band group I've seen advertised on TV a few times now.....they're called Dream Street. To me it just sounds like a crappy attempt to make big bucks off 12-year-old girls' parents. I mean, I'm all for Justin & Lance from NSync cuz they're hot and they're over 18 (although I'm DEFINITELY NOT obsessed with them), but these little 14-year-old boys---ew! They're little BOYS! I'm sorry...I just don't go for younger guys...especially pre-pubescent ones.....HOW GROSS!

Oh yeah, I forgot---those girl bands are getting on my nerves too...those little 14-year-old girls trying to look like they're sexy twenty-year-olds. That's just sick. They need to not wear so much damn makeup. Maybe I'm being a hypocrit, though, cuz I wore a good amount of makeup at that age.

Last edited by ZetaLuvBunny; 10-08-2001 at 02:29 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2001, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeRmIoNeGrAnGeR
Angry ENOUGH with the boy bands!

Your right thats sick! VH-1 is all for them and thats even worse, if I have to hear anything else about a no talent, no song writing group I'm going to scream. Maybe some record labels need to check out some local groups WITH ACTUAL TALENT. I know two of them that just got signed here in Memphis. So there is some hope for the music industry...maybe.
Old 10-08-2001, 05:01 PM

Unfortunately, boy bands have been with us since the dawn of Rock and Roll..

In the 60's, we had The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Monkees
In the 70's, we had The Bay City Rollers, Rolling Stones, The Who
In the 80's, we had Duran Duran & New Kids On the Block
In the 90's, we had Back Street Boys & NSYNC
In the new century, we have Dream Street, 98 Degrees, O-Town.

Basically, as long as we have adolescent girls, we will have boy bands cuz it's all about the record companies makin' the money, honey!
Old 10-08-2001, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Teen pop is over. Time for them to grow up. Least Britney Spears is getting a little more mature when it comes to her music.
Old 10-08-2001, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Unfortunately, boy bands have been with us since the dawn of Rock and Roll..

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
In the 60's, we had The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Monkees
In the 70's, we had The Bay City Rollers, Rolling Stones, The Who
In the 80's, we had Duran Duran & New Kids On the Block
In the 90's, we had Back Street Boys & NSYNC
In the new century, we have Dream Street, 98 Degrees, O-Town.
Yes, that's true. However, the Beatles and Stones were GOOD and wrote their own music. You really can't compare the Beatles to NSYNC.

I like to think of it all as being cyclical. There was a huge baby boom around 1980 which means there are tons of people out there 20 and younger. Eventually this age group will get older, their tastes will mature and we'll get a different type and quality of music out there. Kind of like how my age group loved New Kids, out grew them and then the Nirvana revolution took over. It'll happen again, we just have to be patient.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Unfortunately, boy bands have been with us since the dawn of Rock and Roll..

Quote:
Originally posted by veruca76

Yes, that's true. However, the Beatles and Stones were GOOD and wrote their own music. You really can't compare the Beatles to NSYNC.

FYI - NSync writes a lot of their stuff.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

right on Veruca!!! I myself am an actual musician who can actually read and write music (LOL) as well as singer, although flute, piccolo, and piano do not exactly make for good trendy music LOL. Haha but I have sort of decided not to persue that because it's a really tough business. I hope someday to own my own local Musical Theatre Studio, though

Haha I loved New Kids when I was like six, but now I realise that was a SAD, SAD mistake! But I swear, these little kids like Aaron Carter and the A-Teens really scare me! <AHHHHH!> I'm going to have nightmares now!!!
Old 10-09-2001, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
Who cares...?

Okay, so....everyone might complain about boy bands and girl "pop" princesses....or whatever, but people are buying the stuff. If they are buying it, then somebody obviously likes it. Lots of people like pop. I like pop. It's fun, good to dance to, and easy to sing along with. So, say a million people don't like Slipknot- and the rest of the world does. Does that mean that Slipknot should not exist because there are people out there that don't like that kind of music?? If you don't like it, turn on a different station or listen to your CD's. Chances are you guys don't like Frank Sinatra's type of music, or Bing Crosby, or guys like that- and they mostly didn't write their own stuff (Frank did in later years, but he also started out singing old standards)...does that mean that we can sit around and argue the quality of Frank Sinatra, who's a legend in his own right? Probably one of the greatest musical personalities in the last century?

The backstreet boys can sing. So can N'Sync. So can Britney spears and Christina Aguileria. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's not worthwhile music. For one, I love Pop. I'm digging Mandy Moore- she's got awesome songs- and has had awesome critical reviews for her newest CD.

Pop is here to stay, might as well get used to it.

PS- Dreamstreet, while sung by twelve year olds...is a catchy song. While we (being college students) might not like them or their style...think about the millions of twelve year old girls...who have just decided boys don't really have that many cooties after all.

AND another PS-
I can read and write music too, you know..I've taken voice lessons since I was five, I play piano, flute, clarinet, trumpet....and I still love pop music. I'm also a fan of Fiona and Stained and Pachbel and Sarah Brightman, who I doubt many of you know. So just because your "musically literate" doesn't mean
pop is bad music.

Last edited by Dejajeva; 10-09-2001 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember being a 13 yo in love with Joey McIntyre. I am not into the boy band craze, but I was and there will always be a niche for it. If it makes other girls happy, and doesn't get too out of hand, I am all for it. Just because I am not into it, doesnt mean it shouldn't happen or be popular. I guess its just different strokes for different folks!
Old 10-09-2001, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Unfortunately, boy bands have been with us since the dawn of Rock and Roll..

Quote:
Originally posted by veruca76

Comparing the Beatles and the Stones to NSYNC and BSB is like comparing Allen Iverson to Michael Jordan. There's a thing called LONGEVITY that these boy bands, for the most part, haven't exhibited yet.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, for the record I actually like pop sometimes too. It's fun to just turn on the radio and be able to sing along to every word. I was just agreeing with ZetaLuvBunny on her original point that this pop wave has gone way too far. NSYNC has their merits and is easily the best boy band out there. Putting them on a list with the Beatles, Stones and The Who is just a step too far. NSYNC is just slightly retreading musical ground that's been very well covered. There's nothing wrong with that as long as they do it well. Now we have a thousand bands trying to be NSYNC and falling way short of them. All the bands start copying each other until they all sound the same and it losing any sense of originally. It also seems like every record company looked at the current success of pop and started manufacturing all these terrible little pretenders to cash in. THAT's what annoys me. That's also what this Dream Street thing looks like. Anyways, you're totally right. If you don't like it just don't listen to it.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:39 AM

Question ? ? ?

Does anyone remember the name of the boy band Ricky Martin was in when he was a kid? I think they rotated members out when their voices changed and replaced them with someone younger. Does this sound familiar?
Old 10-12-2001, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

It was Menudo... I just watched a VH-1 thing on Ricky Martin...