GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,556
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, baleeymaarley61
» Online Users: 1,747
1 members and 1,746 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 12-19-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Nu @ Tx Tech

I just thought that I would start this thread and keep yall informed on the status of our chapter. We currently have 51 actives and are pushing hard for Spring rush. We won greek intramurals last school year and we are in second place. If you have any questions about our chapter our website is www.techsigmanu.com .

If you did not know the history of our chapter here is a brief spill of the current status. A few years ago some of the members were going against Sigma Nu law and instead of closing the chapter and restarting a few years later, Sigma Nu let the people that did not perform these acts stay, the people that did not break the laws were given the charge of starting up the chapter again. Alot of the left over members either graduated or quit because the task was daunting and there was only one person left. From that one person our chapter grew to 51 men with a great status on campus in academics, athletics, brotherhood, and we are just heading in a very positive direction now.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-24-2007, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
wow, from 1 to over 50! that guy must be a badass.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

haha, sometimes he likes to remind everyone that he is a badass but for multiple reasons.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

do you guys ever do anything with other texas chapters? or how about Big12 travel? A lot Sigma Nu chapters in the Big 12 to go visit.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

We are going to do that for the football season upcoming. And I think that we are going to try and do a couple parties with some other schools. We haven't been too active with other chapters, but we are looking at changing that.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anybody in Sigma Nu have a lodge for their chapter? If so do you have a housing board? If you do would you please P.M. me, because I have a few questions that I would like cleared up.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

We have a house corporation, but we don't yet own a house.

If you do not have a house corporation, you really, really need one.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't own a house/? Then what are the pics of on your website? (when it used to be up)
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
You don't own a house/? Then what are the pics of on your website? (when it used to be up)
We rent.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a housing corporation but I wanted to know if anybody has had any experience good or bad dealing with your housing board. We just don't have a great communication link between our chapter and our housing board and I want to change that.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSigmaNu View Post
We have a housing corporation but I wanted to know if anybody has had any experience good or bad dealing with your housing board. We just don't have a great communication link between our chapter and our housing board and I want to change that.
Well, my experience is sort of from the other side of things. We have a housing corporation, we have elected officers for it. We have a board of directors. They just haven't met in about 4 years and the 'corporation' currently consists of one alumnus who sort of does it all. This has worked out for us, but for legal reasons, the situation isn't good.

My goal lately has been to start the housing corporation down a different path -- to hold annual BOD meetings (as their bylaws require), to come up with goals and means to improving our housing situation, etc. I'm not a member of the corp (although I'd definitely do whatever they needed me to or serve on the BoD if asked), I'm merely attempting to serve as a catalyst to move things along.

That said, the biggest obstacle to having communication with your housing corporation is you. The individuals who serve on the board are no doubt alums. The officers of the housing corporation are no doubt alums as well. Their door should always be open to (reasonable) contact from the actives. I say reasonable only because I think it'd be okay for the EC to sit in on a BoD meeting, or to give them annual status reports; whereas, as think the whole chapter showing up to a BoD meeting to 'show support' would be a needless distraction.

The onus here is on you. BoD members don't spend a whole lot of time meeting and setting the policies of the housing corporation. The officers of the corporation know what they're doing and may feel they don't need active input to succeed.

You guys are why they're doing it though. You're the life blood of the chapter. While they may not need your input, I'm certain they want it. It's on you though. Probably the best way to get started on this is to talk to your chapter adviser. I know that in my chapter, the active EC and house manager both have quite a bit of contact with the house corporation.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I say all this in the spirit that like earlier in this thread our chapter started with one guy 3 years ago. So I believe the reason why our housing board is keeping us on a short leash is because our chapter has risen and fallen maybe three times I believe in its history. And I know I would have a sour taste in my mouth if you have seen it rise and fall. I am just a visionary so to speak and want to break that leash but I can see their point of view as well.

We have been told that we are to get a new house when our membership holds 80 members for two years. It looks awesome and I can't wait for it to happen, but I just want that new housing corporation to stay active. Thats all I want, is one report a year, and yes I and a good majority of the chapter have pleaded for that connection but presently it is not there. Thats our dilemna.

But to finish off the story our housing corporation has been very gracious in the revamping of our chapter because they gave us the lodge with almost no cost. So to that I am very thankful.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

So just as another update we just took a pledge class of 15. Our current numbers are 65. And we have raised over $2000 for our philanthropy and there are still many donations to be accounted for.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome to hear that... keep up the great work! So, approx how big are most of the chapters our there?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

just for you SnU. I dont think this includes the spring classes.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/centerforca...ife/grade.aspx

Spring 2007
PHI DELTA THETA 138
SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON 138
KAPPA SIGMA 136
SIGMA CHI 125
PHI GAMMA DELTA 124
BETA THETA PI 117
DELTA TAU DELTA 106
KAPPA ALPHA 92
SIGMA PHI EPSILON 75
PI KAPPA ALPHA 62
DELTA CHI 51
SIGMA NU 46
ALPHA TAU OMEGA 44
PHI KAPPA PSI 42
THETA XI 35
FARM HOUSE 33
PI KAPPA PHI 31
THETA CHI 30
CHI PSI 27
SIGMA LAMBDA BETA 26
DELTA SIGMA PHI 24
SIGMA PI 19
ALPHA GAMMA RHO 9

Last edited by banditone; 02-23-2008 at 06:57 PM.