GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Nu
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,560
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, aellashtoleo146
» Online Users: 1,654
6 members and 1,648 guests
aellashtoleo146, aidanpitt256, fmanning

Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Less is more.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the idea of kicking out a brother for being gay is intolerant. We have 3 openly gay brothers in the active chapter, and the are some of the most positive guys for our chapter, all 3 have served on Exec, and have been a great asset for the chapter. This has been stated before, but I just wanted to reiterate it: Don't let this be an issue, don't miss out on guys who could do wonders for your chapter. Accept them with Love, accept the Truth about them, and live side by side with them in Honor.

LTH
Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Coming out during pledgeship

In 1986, there was a fraternity pledge at East Texas State who (and I'm using his own words here) "heard all their crap about brotherhood and thought they meant it." So he came out to his Big Brother. Immediately, the chapter had an "emergency meeting" and booted the pledge out because they were worried about their reputation for having a gay fraternity member.

Meanwhile, there were at least two other member who were gay and probably even a couple. Most everyone knew about them, but they weren't hassled because they didn't openly admit to anything.

Do situations like this still happen today, 25 years later?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Service Fraternity

All I can speak to is my service fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega)... Within the last 10 or so years we have had two out of the closet gay men on our board, one at large and the other representing "Region X" for which most of their chapters are in California. No guarantee of course of what would happen at an individual chapter, but if Nationals found out it would *not* be pretty.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEllis View Post
In 1986, there was a fraternity pledge at East Texas State who (and I'm using his own words here) "heard all their crap about brotherhood and thought they meant it." So he came out to his Big Brother. Immediately, the chapter had an "emergency meeting" and booted the pledge out because they were worried about their reputation for having a gay fraternity member.

Meanwhile, there were at least two other member who were gay and probably even a couple. Most everyone knew about them, but they weren't hassled because they didn't openly admit to anything.

Do situations like this still happen today, 25 years later?
Of course it still happens. It may not be handled as obviously as your situation, but a guy who comes out in a conservative chapter could suddenly find himself in front of standards board for what would normally be minor infractions.

I'm hoping these cases are few and far between, but we're talking about an age group that still sees the "right" social reputation as a top priority. On some campi, getting the "gay" reputation would be social suicide.

I'd like to think one day that it won't matter, but unfortunately, we're not there yet. It's sad that some people can't just live their own lives and take care of their own marriages and not worry who their neighbour is married to.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXiDLover
A lot of this is crazy to me. A lot of the fraternities on our campus (in the Northeast area) have openly gay members. The fraternity's which house these members don't get a negative or gay connotation and the guys get a lot with their brothers great!

I couldn't even imagine having problems with gay brothers (or lesbian sisters)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDLover View Post
A lot of this is crazy to me. A lot of the fraternities on our campus (in the Northeast area) have openly gay members. The fraternity's which house these members don't get a negative or gay connotation and the guys get a lot with their brothers great!

It *really* varies from campus to campus. Here is a formula that I just came up with off the top of my head.

Take the number of times that your state voted for the Democratic Candidate for president in the last 5 elections. Add 2 if Gay Marriage is legal in your state. Add 3 if there is an active Gay and Lesbian group on campus. Subtract 3 if a ban on Gay Marriage has been written into the State Constitution. Subtract 5 if the University President really has to be of the same Religion as the group that started the school. Subtract 5 if the school requires you to attend chapel every week.

I think that gives a 10 for UMass-Amherst or George Washington University and a -13 for Oral Roberts University(Oklahoma) or Hyles Anderson. Of course at *both* ends of the scale you end up with some schools that ban Fraternities and Sororities... (And at Oral Roberts and Hyles Anderson you don't have to worry about what your fellow students will do if you are out of the closet, you won't be a student there anymore)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDLover View Post

I wish it wasn't that way, but it is on many campuses. Personally I wish a person's sex life could just stay private...it's no one's business unless they want it to be anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
It *really* varies from campus to campus. Here is a formula that I just came up with off the top of my head.

Take the number of times that your state voted for the Democratic Candidate for president in the last 5 elections. Add 2 if Gay Marriage is legal in your state. Add 3 if there is an active Gay and Lesbian group on campus. Subtract 3 if a ban on Gay Marriage has been written into the State Constitution. Subtract 5 if the University President really has to be of the same Religion as the group that started the school. Subtract 5 if the school requires you to attend chapel every week.

I think that gives a 10 for UMass-Amherst or George Washington University and a -13 for Oral Roberts University(Oklahoma) or Hyles Anderson. Of course at *both* ends of the scale you end up with some schools that ban Fraternities and Sororities... (And at Oral Roberts and Hyles Anderson you don't have to worry about what your fellow students will do if you are out of the closet, you won't be a student there anymore)
I think we get a 3. Though I'm not honestly sure if there is a ban on gay marriage in the state constitution...but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was.

# of times state voted for Democratic candidate: 0
Gay marriage is not legal in this state: 0
Active gay/lesbian group on campus: +3
Gay marriage ban in state constitution: 0?
University president of same religion: N/A
Chapel: N/A
(public school)

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 05-24-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If only it was that easy.
Also-
Why is the presidential candidate weighed instead of the Gubernatorial candidate for that state?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I wish it wasn't that way, but it is on many campuses. Personally I wish a person's sex life could just stay private...it's no one's business unless they want it to be anyway.

I think we get a 3. Though I'm not honestly sure if there is a ban on gay marriage in the state constitution...but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was.

# of times state voted for Democratic candidate: 0
Gay marriage is not legal in this state: 0
Active gay/lesbian group on campus: +3
Gay marriage ban in state constitution: 0?
University president of same religion: N/A
Chapel: N/A
(public school)
Which State and University? I can probably figure it out.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
If only it was that easy.
Also-
Why is the presidential candidate weighed instead of the Gubernatorial candidate for that state?
Party of Governor really isn't that useful. Both Massachusetts and Oklahoma have elected Democrats in two of their last five Gubernatorial elections.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

I gave my school 5 + 3 = 8 points. This sounds about right. There were probably a few alpha male chapters that wouldn't have been down with it, but the biggest/most prestigious fraternities seemed okay. I think they knew that gay men often attract a lot of women.

(BTW, in just one week, my state gets an extra point when civil unions become legal!)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Which State and University? I can probably figure it out.
Montevallo in Alabama...being a state school helps it be a little more liberal, but I remember in high school being told it was soooooo liberal only to get there and remember down here, liberal is relative. The Greeks are getting there though, generally speaking.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I gave my school 5 + 3 = 8 points. This sounds about right. There were probably a few alpha male chapters that wouldn't have been down with it, but the biggest/most prestigious fraternities seemed okay. I think they knew that gay men often attract a lot of women.

(BTW, in just one week, my state gets an extra point when civil unions become legal!)
Civil Unions aren't in the calculation I gave, but one point for Civil Unions sounds right. Illinois, right?

Last edited by naraht; 05-26-2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Guess for state.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Montevallo in Alabama...being a state school helps it be a little more liberal, but I remember in high school being told it was soooooo liberal only to get there and remember down here, liberal is relative. The Greeks are getting there though, generally speaking.
Alabama bans it in the State Constitution. So Montevallo is +3 for SPECTRUM and -3 for the State Constitution for zero. Of course Alabama has *everything* in its state constitution (longest in the world!)