GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,123
0 members and 1,123 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2003, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Question-UNC Chapel Hill

Does anyone know ANYTHING about rush at UNC? A "Mom" called-her daughter starts school the 20th I think, and is going through rush. She knows NOTHING about the system. Is it a competative atmosphere? She did send in some recs because all the LSU girls did, but didn't have one for all the chapters. Will this hurt her?
Anyone have some info I can pass to her? She thinks it will be like all southern rushes. Is that true?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

JAM - did you do a search?!?! Just kidding!

Actually, CarolinaCutie is a Phi Mu at UNC Chapel Hill and I'm sure you remember her rush thread from last year. Shoot her a PM!
Old 08-13-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Bless your heart! I forgot about her rush thread!!!! I'm going to get the "Mom" to read that first! THANKS SOOOOOOOO MUCH!
Old 08-13-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Actually, ladies, I believe CarolinaCutie is a Phi Mu at the University of North Carolina-GREENSBORO. UNC-Chapel Hill, from all I know of it, does indeed have a highly competitive southern rush, although not to the extent of UGa, LSU, etc. I know a few girls there--a Pi Phi from my county and a DZ also. The Pi Phi girl is a leg and is the type I know was groomed for rush--a debutante, etc. The DZ is SUPER-intelligent (chose UNC over Harvard!), but is a first-generation American (her parents were Indian immigrants--trying to escape an arranged marriage to other people! Isn't it romantic?!?!) and not at all the "southern belle" type. My impression is that certain groups are "stereotypical southern" and others are more diverse and open.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

JAM - I pm'ed you!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Oops! You are right, breathesgelatin! I searched for her rush thread and only looked for the words Chapel Hill! I neglected to notice it said transferred from there! Sorry!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is the link for the UNC-Chapel Hill Panhellenic site

http://greeks.unc.edu/join/panhellenic/index.html

There's even a stats page regarding recruitment.

The groups currently on campus are:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha

Hope that helps!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
k

Last edited by IheartAphi; 08-15-2003 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

k2

Last edited by AXO_MOM_3; 08-15-2003 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you ladies, I will be sure to direct her to this info.

UH-OH, I don't remember my handshake either. I've even forgotten some of their names, but I can see each face clearly and remember something unique about all of them.

Wait a minute, the handshake just came back to me!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
Oh my gosh I am so sorry!!

I am sorry, I didnt mean to seem ugly. I shouldnt have repeated what they have told me. I didnt mean the whole chapter was like that or the national group, its just my friends really have an awesome time in their particular chapters.

Also- it was probably their fault that they did not enjoy them as much as they should have. I wrote the post in a hurry and I tend to go back and edit stuff and lose the meaning of what I am trying to say. I am really sorry and didn't mean anything negative about either groups. I am really embrassed.

Last edited by IheartAphi; 08-15-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hurrah, Tarheel Girl! You will have a good time, I'm sure...now we just need to get you set up with your own rush thread...muhahahah!
Old 08-15-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

yay!!!! congrats on your decsion to rush!!! i wish I knew more about UNC recruitment, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Please let us know how your experience goes. There are hardly any threads with Sigma chapters, I'd really like to read one (but that's just my selfish addict attitude, look away, I'm hideous, out pressuring girls to post just to get my next fix...if only it didn't feel sooo good )
Old 08-15-2003, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
For everyone, a link the UNC-Chapel Hill recruitment schedule:

http://greeks.unc.edu/join/panhellen.../schedule.html
Old 08-15-2003, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been so busy with Recruitment practice this week, I hadn't even realized that I was being talked about!

Yes, I am a Phi Mu at UNC-Greensboro. But I went to Carolina my freshman year! I actually attended two or three COB events with Delta Zeta, but by that time, I was fairly certain that I was transferring. I also was close friends with two girls in high school who are now Zetas at Carolina.

From what I know, the UNC Chapel Hill rush experience is competitive but not overwhelmingly so like many SEC-style rushes. I wish there was someone from UNC on the board who could give more info. I know that Phi Mu left the campus in 2001 or 2002, and Delta Zeta left this year. This would lead me to believe that their numbers are decreasing, but like I said, I don't have any complete information. It's really sad that DZ left... their house was so new and beautiful! There is tons of information on recruitment on their Panhellenic website, so that's definitely helpful.

One thing for out-of-state rushees at Carolina to remember- just because the rush isn't HIGHLY competitive doesn't mean that Southern standards don't apply! If you're in this situation, please read up on the dressing and ettiquette advice offered in other Southern rush threads.