GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,631
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, femiwo5045
» Online Users: 1,091
1 members and 1,090 guests
femiwo5045

Old 11-22-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Fire at the Ohio University Beta House

This morning the Beta house at Ohio University burnt down. I'm still trying to find out what happened. This is finals week, so it's even worse. The front half is completely black inside, and I don't know how the back half is. Everyone is trying to find out how they are doing right now. I'll post more when I find out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-22-2002, 10:32 AM

That's a a real shame. I haven't been inside the house for many years, but it was a pretty nice looking place outside.

Glad all of the Betas got out OK.

Any damage to Bromley Hall or the adjacent house to the North?

Must have made traffic through town a real mess as well.

Let us know any details.

Thanks,
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know of any links to an article regarding this fire. What a shame, its a beautiful house.

-kai-

Beta House Picture

Last edited by ZZ-kai-; 11-22-2002 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Article I found at a Columbus, OH news site:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POSTED: 9:10 a.m. EST November 22, 2002
UPDATED: 9:44 a.m. EST November 22, 2002

ATHENS, Ohio -- A fire at an Ohio University fraternity forced about 30 students out of their home Friday morning.

The fire at the Beta Theta Pi house was reported about 7 a.m.

Rick Campopiano of Burton, Ohio, said that he was awakened by the smell of smoke. He said that he tried to put the fire out but was unable to, so he began yelling for everyone to get out.

OU police Lt. Steve Noftz said that a student hurt her arm jumping out of a second-floor window but that there were no serious injuries.

The Bromley Hall dormitory next door was evacuated as well, but dozens of students were let back inside after the fire was under control.

Athens Fire Chief Bob Troxel said that the fraternity house sustained extensive damage.

Stay with NewsChannel 4 and nbc4columbus.com for additional information.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:05 PM

I am so sorry, this is no laughing matter, but it's Friday and I'm in a very strange mood and can't help myself...

Think about this conversation:

Mom: "Oh, sweety, how did you hurt your arm?"

Daughter: "Jumping out of a second floor window at a fraternity house real early this morning...but it's no big deal, mom..."

By the way, Lioness, how's the arm?

JUST KIDDING! HONEST! I appologize again!
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-
Anyone know of any links to an article regarding this fire. What a shame, its a beautiful house.

-kai-

Beta House Picture
Wait a minute, are we talking about Ohio State U or Ohio University?
Old 11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The picture is from OSU but the Beta house that burnt down is from OU. That is so sad. I wish them the best with this.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:15 PM

Ohio University in Athens.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:37 PM

Here's an official release from the Ohio University web page:

One student injured in fraternity house fire
ATHENS, Ohio -- The Beta Theta Pi fraternity house at Ohio University caught fire at approximately 6:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 22. Only one injury - a dislocated arm - was reported. The cause of the fire and amount of damage are unknown. Of the 35 residents of the chapter house, 29 students were staying in the house when the fire occurred.

The Athens Fire Department responded to the fire and the Athens County chapter of the American Red Cross and members of the Ohio University Office of Student Affairs helped meet the immediate needs of the fraternity house residents.

"Fortunately, there were no life-threatening injuries in this fire," Ohio University Dean of Students Terry Hogan said. "Residents of the house worked together to evacuate quickly and safely and made certain to account for their fellow students. We at the university appreciate the quick response of the firefighters and Red Cross workers, who quickly set up an emergency center in adjacent Bromley Hall."

The university is supplying campus housing to 13 students needing temporary accommodations.

The university is in the midst of final exams, which will conclude Tuesday, Nov. 26, when a six-week winter break begins.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, hoooooly sheat. I posted the wrong house and I was thinking all along it was THE Ohio State University. Either way, that really sucks. Ohio U. was one of our oldest chapters, founded in 1841.

OSU still has a sweet house though.

Quote:
Originally posted by queequek

Wait a minute, are we talking about Ohio State U or Ohio University?
Old 11-22-2002, 04:52 PM

A little more info from WOUB Radio/TV...

Fire Evacuates OU Fraternity House -- November 22, 2002
About 30 members of an Ohio University fraternity were forced out of their house this morning by a fire.

The fire was reported around 7:00 a.m. at the Beta Theta Pi house on Congress Street. Everyone apparently escaped the flames but one girl reportedly broke her arm as she jumped out a window. She's identified as Ann Ernsthausen of Oak Harbor.

The fire was discovered by member Rick Campopiano of Burton, who said he was awakened by the smell of smoke. His effort to extinguish the fire was unsuccessful so he began yelling for everyone to get out.

Ohio University's Bromley Hall dormitory next door was evacuated but dozens of students there were let back in after the fire was knocked down. Fraternity house members, however, remained outside on the sidewalk watching as firefighters finished their work.

Several were not fully dressed, having run outside into the cold without many clothes. Campopiano says the initial flames were around a fireplace in what is called the formal room on the first floor. But members say that fireplace is never used. They had no idea what may have triggered the fire.

Athens Fire Chief Bob Troxel terms the damage "extensive."

NOTE: What may have been helpful is that Ohio University requires a firedrill within two weeks of the beginning of each quarter. Maybe that paid off in this case. Sounds like the evacuation was well done and in an orderly fashion. "Fortunately, there were no life-threatening injuries in this fire," Ohio University Dean of Students Terry Hogan said. "Residents of the house worked together to evacuate quickly and safely and made certain to account for their fellow students."

This would be an excellent idea for every chapter house. I think most fraternity Risk Management programs suggest it.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 11-22-2002 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Okay, I talked to a bunch of greek people around campus today, and every fraternity has opened their houses (and the sororities have opened their kitchens) to the Betas. They are staying in Bromley Hall. I can't see how they would get any studying done because that dorm overlooks their house. The front of the house is completely gutted, but hte back doesn't look like it is as bad. It's a shame, they had some wonderful historric pieces in the front of their house, including a couple composites from the 1940-1950s era. They're saying now that the fire was started by a halogen lamp somehow catching on fire, and then it spread to the curtains. That's all I've heard, except that everyone is doing fine. Ann, the girl who hurt her arm, only dislocated her shoulder according to one of the guys. This sucks for the guys. They're planning on coming back here over break to try and see what they can fix, and they should have the money to fix it in any case, because they were talking about renovating soon. I'm just glad they are all ok.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
Okay, I talked to a bunch of greek people around campus today, and every fraternity has opened their houses (and the sororities have opened their kitchens) to the Betas.
Lioness,

That great news -- no real surprize that the O.U. Greek Community has pulled together to help.

Certainly glad there were no really serious injuries.

The other good thing is that with Bromley right next door, they won't have any trouble finding their way home after what I'm sure will be a long night uptown.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
That's scary, because that could have happened to us.

We had a halogen lamp in the living room of our new house (just got it this year), and one of the curtains dipped down and it started smoldering. Luckily me or someone else (I can't remember) saw it and caught it.

But man, there were 30 girls in that room. If it had gotten out of control we could have all been dead. Or worse, it could have happened when members were in other rooms and wouldn't know until it was too late.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 11-23-2002, 12:50 AM

Those lamps can be very dangerous because the elements burn very hot. They strongly recommend that you never leave one unattended.