GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,562
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, BernadineB
» Online Users: 1,229
2 members and 1,227 guests
g41965

Old 11-19-2004, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

LXA-FL hazers on probation for a year

(May be the rare incident where pledges are accused of hazing)

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. - University of Florida's Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity is on probation until fall 2005, following an October hazing incident when pledges Duct-taped and kidnapped fraternity brothers.
Tuesday was the last day for the fraternity to appeal the Greek Judicial Board's ruling for violating the university's hazing code of conduct.
Mike Rollo, associate vice president for Student Affairs, said the fraternity had not made an appeal at press time Tuesday.
According to police documents, witnesses said they saw the pledges lead Duct-taped brothers into an apartment complex Oct. 5.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-19-2004, 04:17 PM

As many of you may have read, the same thing recently happened at The University of Northern Colorado, but with different results.

Fortunately, the UNC Campus Police realized what was going on, and the university was fairly understanding.

In the long run, though, this kind of thing has to stop because it is almost always considered hazing.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

WOW, news to me on that one!

hoosier, do you have a link to the article? Thanks!

What is funny, I was kiddnaped twice as Founder and an Officer of the Chapter!

If you will pardone me, but this Hazing Politically Correct S**T is getting out of hand by the Local Coppers and the Colleges.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-19-2004, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

seriously, I can understand if it was actives doing it to a pledge, but pledges doing that to actives... uh duh this is something the actives are ok with, and its the way it works, but its definently not hazing, some people are crazy.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.dailylobo.com/news/2004/11/18/News/Campuses.In.The.News-809747.shtml

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
WOW, news to me on that one!

hoosier, do you have a link to the article? Thanks!

What is funny, I was kiddnaped twice as Founder and an Officer of the Chapter!

If you will pardone me, but this Hazing Politically Correct S**T is getting out of hand by the Local Coppers and the Colleges.
http://www.dailylobo.com/news/2004/1...s-809747.shtml
Old 11-20-2004, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was an undergrad we did a canned food drive (for you LCA's, this predated NAFD by a number of years--since we did this in 1975, how one chapter can claim to have started this thing in the 1980's is beyond me). Part of our publicity campaign involved the university president.

We arranged (through a politically-connected bro involved w/student government) to "kidnap" Dr. Gene Budig. The premise was that he wouldn't be "returned to his office" until the "ransom" (non-perishable food items) was given to the chapter members.

At a prearranged time a small contingent of Lamb Chops descended upon his office in the administration building and "kidnapped" the president. I contacted the local area newspaper and the student paper, and they got hilarious photos of six fraternity guys picking up Dr. Budig in his office chair. Okay, the description doesn't do the photo justice...trust me, it was funny.

In this new era of people getting expelled from high schools because of doing the old "atomic sit-up" prank, I don't think we'd be able to do this sort of thing today. And that's kinda sad...have we gotten to the point where we have to be so serious that this sort of "sophomoric behavior" will soon be banned?

Later-
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 11-20-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

With regard to Bill Foltzs post, if any are in the business World, We do get calls about being kidnapped or jailed for good causes.

hoosier thanks for the link, but basically it doesnt say S**t with a mouthful!

I have been trying to get in contact with a Brother there to get his side of the episode.

If anyone knows about Duck Tape and whom doesnt, dont use it for this purpose. Try Clear Scotch Tape. Easier to remove and wont show telltale adhevise on the body!

SirHorneyToad, YOU Be the winner on this for the stupidity of what is hazing now. God, it has gotten so out of hand at all levels.!

It just seems that everyone is saying Dont Go Greek, We will get you!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
Figured this would make it on here sometime...

http://www.alligator.org/edit/news/i...1117greek.html

Here is the article. Basic stupidty, not much else...I'm not sure how we can get 100% attendance from the new initates, since that would be a separation issue with INT HQ...
Old 11-23-2004, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ryan400z
You guys are really lucky you didn't get put on probation for fall rush in 2005, that would not have been good. I think this penalty is ridiculous and I hope that this was the only event that got you guys in trouble. Overall, I think this is really harsh and you guys should have appealed your penalty, it might have been through next fall that is why you might not have appealed it but my chapter would have appealed that in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Ryan400z; 11-24-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

EM1843 and Ryan, it has happened at Both Chapters correct?

I am sure there are second thoughts now. But to be honest, why did not someone know about these incidents and say, "Whoa, lets think about this for a minute"! ?

A slip for the moment is a large cost and it is not only you.

Make it do right and things will work out.

Live Long and Prosper for All of Us!

Be safe over the Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni