GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,534
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zasydneyarkz763
» Online Users: 1,638
0 members and 1,638 guests
No Members online

Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Questions about recruitment at Vanderbilt.

Right now I am deciding between going to college at the University of Washington, Seattle, or attending Vanderbilt University. (Very different, I know.) Anyway, for a while I had just assumed I'd go to UW, and I was accepted. I was recently accepted to Vandy though as well. I'm not letting Greek Life necessarily influence which school I choose, but I have a few questions that would be helpful to know anyway. I am very informed about the recruitment process at UW, but have no clue about GLOs at Vandy.
  1. Freshmen can't participate in recruitment until January, right?
  2. When do you move in to your house if you receive a bid?
  3. How does recruitment at Vandy work?
  4. Actually, ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL!

Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl01 View Post
Right now I am deciding between going to college at the University of Washington, Seattle, or attending Vanderbilt University. (Very different, I know.) Anyway, for a while I had just assumed I'd go to UW, and I was accepted. I was recently accepted to Vandy though as well. I'm not letting Greek Life necessarily influence which school I choose, but I have a few questions that would be helpful to know anyway. I am very informed about the recruitment process at UW, but have no clue about GLOs at Vandy.
  1. Freshmen can't participate in recruitment until January, right?
  2. When do you move in to your house if you receive a bid?
  3. How does recruitment at Vandy work?
  4. Actually, ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL!

Thanks in advance!
1. That is correct. Freshmen (or anyone participating in recruitment) goes back to school early from winter break.
2. Only six officers live in the houses. This goes for all sororities and fraternities.
3. It works basically the same as every other recruitment at schools with a pretty large greek system. They split it up into two weekends this year I believe, so they may do that next year as well.
4. What kind of info would you like to know?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, that was very informative! I have one question, so only officers live in the houses? That thought never occurred to me. How competitive is Rush at Vanderbilt generally? And finally, if you don't receive a bid, is it hard to have a social life?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Per this thread recs are required at Vanderbilt, so yes, it's competitive. I don't know about any of your other questions, but I would do a search on Vanderbilt as I'm guessing others have had similar questions to yours.

But why on earth would you want to go to Vanderbilt when you got into UW?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl01 View Post
Thanks, that was very informative! I have one question, so only officers live in the houses? That thought never occurred to me. How competitive is Rush at Vanderbilt generally? And finally, if you don't receive a bid, is it hard to have a social life?
Not all of the officers, though. Only the top six, I guess. Like, president, vps, standards chair, treasurer..
Rush is fairly competitive. Not like some of the other SEC schools, but not where everyone gets a bid. Most of the chapters do not require rec letters, but I have heard at least one does. It's always good to have recs, though. The "top" chapters are very competitive to get into, but if you walk around the vandy campus, you'll realize that pretty much everyone is pretty lol.
It's definitely possible to have a social life without being in a sorority. If a lot of your friends end up being in them, though, you will feel left out.
As long as you have decent grades and present yourself well, you should be able to find a chapter that you fit in to.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely get recs. It's competitive at Vandy, but in a different way than at other SEC schools. (i.e., you won't be fighting the battle of everyone from X city is in ABC sorority) However, the student population at Vanderbilt is very accomplished as a whole, and from what I understand about their current financial aid situation via their endowment, it's going to become increasingly competitive to gain entrance.

You can definitely have a social life without being Greek. Nashville has a ton going on.

I was just on Vandy's campus today. It's a fabulous school. I didn't go there, but everyone that I know who attended/attends there loves it. I can't recommend it enough.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you a legacy?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

If you have more questions, you can pm me also
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ZTA! And no, I'm not a legacy. I have a few older cousins that have gone Greek, but no one in my immediate family.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Just to clarify, since you're looking into all of this ahead of time, definitely get recs!
Vandy is a gorgeous campus. Everyone generally loves it here. And the weather is generally quite nice
Amiblue, are you from the Nashville area? Or what brought you to the campus yesterday?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest View Post
Just to clarify, since you're looking into all of this ahead of time, definitely get recs!
Vandy is a gorgeous campus. Everyone generally loves it here. And the weather is generally quite nice
Amiblue, are you from the Nashville area? Or what brought you to the campus yesterday?
Yes. I am in Nashville. I advise our chapter at Vandy, which is why I was on campus yesterday. Were you involved with the recent ZTA colonization? All I have heard is positive feedback.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm actually a new member of the colony here
What GLO?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, congratulations on becoming a new member! You will love ZTA! A couple of my close friends are ZTAs. Of course, they're old now like me.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to hear you both are active in the Greek community at Vandy because that makes me feel a lot better! Right now I am actually leaning towards Vanderbilt. I live about 3 hours away, which I think is close enough to home without seeing my parents all the time. UW is over 2,000 miles away, and that's almost too far for me.
Could either of you explain to me exactly what recruitment at Vandy is like? I found this schedule on the website and had some questions about it:
August 24
Information Session on Peabody Lawn at 5:30 pm

September 4
Sorority Recruitment Registration in Student Life Center at 2 pm

November 5
Panhellenic Preview Day

December 6
Recruitment 101 for all Potential New Members in the Student Life Center at 7 pm

January 6
Pre-Formal Recruitment Meeting at 6 and 7 pm in the Sarratt Cinema

January 7
Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment, Display Round, from approximately 10 am-7 pm

January 8
Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment, Philanthropy Round from apporxiamtely 1 pm-9 pm

January 13
Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment, Entertainment Round, from approximately 5:30 pm-12 midnight

January 14
Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment, Preference Round, from approximately 4 pm-9 pm

January 15
BID DAY

I guess what confuses me is about how early it starts. Since you can't rush as a Freshman until half way through Freshman year, why is the meeting in August so early? Why do you have to register so early? What exactly is Preview Day?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

To make a long story short, the intent of having structured events is to make sure everyone is aware of the rules of engagement and that everyone is on a level playing field.

If you haven't reviewed this, I would recommend doing so.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/greek_life...book_20113.pdf

Three hours away from home is plenty to get away but still to be close enough to get home easily if you need to.

My advice to you if you attend Vandy is to keep your nose clean regarding partying during first semester and also to be super friendly to everyone you meet. Sorority women will be everywhere (you never know who you will meet), and you don't want to blow your opportunity to join an organization because you made a poor decision one weekend. Practice your conversation skills.

Good luck!