GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,699
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, BillyBobThorton
» Online Users: 1,303
0 members and 1,303 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Determining total

Hi everyone!

This might be in the wrong forum. I'm not certain. It would probably be more appropriately placed in a Panhellenic forum - but I don't think there is one.

I'm a Kappa at the University of Waterloo in Waterloo Ontario Canada. We're the only sorority on campus, and have had repeated troubles with recognition (and hence recruitment - no one is interested in joining your group if they don't know you exist!).

There has been talk about bringing another sorority to campus in our FSAC (Fraternity and Sorority Awareness Club - a Panhellenic association of the two/three (ugh, long story) fraternities and the Kappas) that extention would really help our recognition problems. After all, some of the problem is that we perhaps don't take recruitment as seriously as we need to because we're the only group on campus and "who else are they going to go to".

Anyhow, everyone in FSAC recognizes that my chapter is not large enough in numbers to even think of extention. When FSAC reconvenes I want to suggest we set a campus "total" which when reached on a regular basis (ie one term at total would not be means to expand), will allow the current FSAC exec to start the expansion process.

So this brings me to my major point - any ideas of how we should go about determining our total? Since there is no other sorority on campus, it's hard to gage was is a "realistic" figure for us to aim for...

Any insight would be appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

hey kappaloo,
i'm from u of t. what is your chapter size at now?
how big are the fraternities on your campus?
total at our campus is 45 and no one's anywhere near that.
have you asked your international's?
if you had another sorority on campus, your numbers would increase, most definitely, despite having competition. you would then be required to have formal rush every year, and you would advertise that all over campus thus bringing much wanted attention to your groups.
are you recognized by the school?

this could factor in to your decision on total.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps OohTeenyWahine can give you some insight. AGD is the only NPC sorority at the U of Hawaii at Manoa.

Best of luck!
Lynn
Old 04-17-2003, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

AAgammagirl - this term we had 17 paying dues, but 6 of those graduated, and at least two others are not returning in the fall. We fluxuate a lot, especially due to co-op. The fraternities are harder to tell. I think the Sigs are around 30, and the Zete's are anyone's guess, but I know they had a pledge class of about 10 in the fall. The "new" fraternity on campus AEPi, is a lot smaller - but then again, they have a very specialized membership (ie the JSA). We're not technically recognized on campus - not like Laurier's Greek life is at least. FSAC is recognized by the school, but not the actual chapters.

AAgammagirl & AGDLynn - thanks for all the input! It's really appreciated.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

hey kappaloo,
why don't you try to make total 25 or 30? that sounds reasonable i think and gives you a goal to work toward.
good luck!!