GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,698
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, PriscillaT
» Online Users: 1,081
1 members and 1,080 guests
oncegreek

Old 04-22-2003, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Deferred vs Regular who has more numbers?

I have seen this question discussued, but bottom line. On campuses with deferred Rush vs. normal Rush.

Which system sees more PNM's come out. Which system has larger chapters and more Greek Life.

Anyone want to hzard some guesses?

I would say, without data, that generally Greek systems that have Normal Freshmen Rush have both more PNM's larger chapters and a greater percentage of Greeks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this all varies from school to school. For example, big schools like the University of Texas, there are already tons of ladies who are eager to rush before the fall semester, whereas on smaller campuses with much smaller Greek systems, it might be harder to have a regular formal recruitment with a very good turnout.

That's just my guess though!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My campus switched from deferred to first semester and numbers went down. They switched back again. The last semester they did fall rush, quota was 8. Then when they did deferred, it shot up to 18.

However, the total number of girls in sororities didn't really change overall. When they did fall rush, it just meant that lots of girls joined through informal rush instead.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:00 PM

I honestly think the two have no bearing on each other.

For example, Bama has deferred rush. I would wager that Bama could have rush on Christmas Day and still have 100x the amount of Greek involvement than other schools.

Clarion has first semester rush now and from what I've seen it hasn't raised numbers, but I don't "blame" that on the timing of rush...there are other factors.

I think a more apt question would be "which creates more satisfied members?"
Old 04-22-2003, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

That's an interesting idea, and I think you're right ... how would you measure it? Retention?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:48 PM

My school just went from immediate to deferred rush this year. With immediate rush, quota was usually around 30-32. This year, it was 22. If you look at the percentages, it's even bleaker, as the number of admitted women has been going up.

I think this is due in part to the fact that for the first semester of freshman year, you are graded pass/no record. (C or better = pass, D or F = no record that you ever took the course.) I think people are a little wary of balancing new member activities with classwork, other activities, jobs, etc, particularly during their first semester on grades.

Interestingly enough, fraternity rush is still in the fall, though it was deferred from August to September.

I'm not there, so I don't really have a sense as to whether this year's new members are more or less satisfied with where they ended up...
Old 04-22-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I think problems arise not from either rush time intrinsically, but when a school makes a change, the psychological impact of it can change things.

Does that make sense?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
That's an interesting idea, and I think you're right ... how would you measure it? Retention?
Retention, %age of participation at events and perhaps alum involvement.