GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,595
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, QJAJerrell
» Online Users: 1,496
3 members and 1,493 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 01-19-2003, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
Online sororities!?

I was bored online and I was looking at other colleges Greek Life pages, I found one entry in the search engine and stumbled across an 'online sorority', Alpha Zeta Pi. I looked through the pages and it appears to be just an online club thingy. I checked through the pages, and most of the members appear to be high school students, all though two are 18 They even have colors and symbols and stuff, and I never knew this type of online sorority thing exsisted. It seems kind of harmless, but I also wondered if AZPi is a real local somewhere at a college, and in that case I'd be upset if I were the local. If anyone is wondering the page URL is http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/azpsorority/ Another thing I noticed is that they got AZP for their letters everywhere, instead of AZII, so it looks like Alpha Zeta Rho... ...high school kids <shakes head>

Any thoughts on this matter? Has anyone else ever heard of an online sorority, I knew some high schools had 'sororities', but this is new to me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2003, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Re: Online sororities!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fewdfreak
...I also wondered if AZPi is a real local somewhere at a college, and in that case I'd be upset if I were the local.

This is slightly off topic but I just wanted to comment on this sentence. I am sure there are several local fraternities and sororities out there that use the same letters that are completely unrelated to each other. I don't think this is something that one can get upset about. I would think differently if it were a local sorority trying to go national using an NPC or NPHC name but not affiliating with that group.
Before my chapter became Pi Beta Phi we were a local sorority called Delta Sigma Chi. Just typing that into any search engine will find you several web pages on locals that use that name that are completely unrelated. Can I really be upset about that? Can they be upset that we used to be Delta Sigma Chi?
As for this online sorority. I'm sure it's just harmless fun for these girls. Nothing to get upset about.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
it's true about the local thing...

there are about maybe 3 other chi delta sororities in the country to my knowledge. they all have different symbols, colors, and whatnots. one actually contacted us. it was kinda groovy. so i don't think it would offend too many people.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I've heard of all sorts of locals sharing the same letters, but I'd be a lil P.O.'ed if someone confused my letters for an internet sorority. Especially when their letters aren't even Alpha Zeta Rho, it's Alpha Zeta Pi but the girls don't know the difference!
Old 01-19-2003, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
I didn't mean to stir up trouble or anything by saying that. I didn't know that locals could have the same names or anything. I always thought that all names taken by an org. were copywrited, local or national.

I agree with it being harmless fun, like showstopper pointed out, they don't even know their alphabet.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Other than them not knowing their alphabet, I think it's a cute idea for young girls. Maybe they will all decide to go to the same University and make it a real Sorority someday. The first Sorority that was founded in cyberspace, LOL.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

That web site is pretty cute! BTW, the president is 21.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I can understand being a little bit irritated. It sort of reminds me of these 2 girls who had just graduated high school last year who wanted to be "popular" in college because they weren't in high school. They were acting like silly 12 year olds and said that they wanted to find some sorority letters so they could get into all the fraternity parties in college. I told them that my sorority doesn't let people drink in letters for one, and they asked if they could borrow some of mine! I wanted to hit them. They had no clue what a sorority is about.

Maybe these girls do know what a sorority is about, but I can't imagine being so close to someone online that I'd consider them a sister.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 01-20-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I think they're cute as they can be. They may not know what sororities are all about, and they may have their letters confused, but all that kept coming to my head was, "Awww!" Going by some of the girls' education and career goals, it looks like they have pretty good heads on their shoulders. The internet is so much a part of our culture now. This may be a very positive thing for these girls.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

This reminds me of a conversation I had a few months ago with a girl I went to high school with. She's currently at a 2-year junior college (no greek life), but she has always wanted to be in a sorority. She found an internet sorority, I can't remember the name, but she was all excited about it because there are a bunch of girls in it from our part of the state. Supposedly all you have to do to get in is complete one service project, and voila. They have colors and symbols and stuff too. Although it's a little extreme IMO, it's probably a good thing for ppl like her who so desperately want to be greek but have no chance otherwise.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:50 AM
Unregistered-

It's a cute idea, but one thing disturbed me:

"AZP was formed in 1997 by Diana (now run by Jen) to bring together girls online to make new friends and share their experiences with each other without feeling threatened, hassled, obligated to be perfect, etc."

Gee, watched "Dying to Belong" a bit much? It was on again today, btw.

Oh yeah, and I dig the webmistress' mug of herself. Yeeeeeah.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Gee, watched "Dying to Belong" a bit much?
I figured they meant by high school people and issues. I remember how hard high school could be. Also, there is a certain amount of freedom in sharing and talking with strangers that you may never meet face to face.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

High School Sororities

My high school had a type of sorority, although the members swear up and down it is a "service club".

It was called GWI(not greek, i know). No one but the members know what GWI stands for.

Basically, it is just for Junior and Senior girls. The Senior girls pick the Junior girls they want to be in it. The Jrs. are then "kidnapped" and taken to an open field for "the dumping". The Jr. girls have anything and everything thrown on them...dog food, syrup, anything the Sr. Girls think of. The guys are in on it too. Each Jr. girl has a Sr.Guy assigned to them. The girl has to step out, blindfolded, and say "I love ____!"

After the dumping, the Jr. Girl's are basically slaves to the senior girls. Each on has a Sr. Girl- their Ma'am. They bring them flowers, candy, lunch, etc. on certain days. There is also "Hell Week". The Jr. Girls have to make sweat shirts that say "I love my Ma'am" on the front and their Ma'am's name on the back. They had to wear this same shirt all week, weren't allowed to wear make-up or fix their hair. Also, the Sr. Girls and guys could say certain phrases and the Jr. girls had to do something i .e. "Fry like Bacon"- they laid on the floor and kinda wiggled around, like bacon in a pan. "Air Raid"- hit the floor, "Barn yard"- All 4's and make an animal sound....you get the idea.

Its crazy. Girls WANT to do this. It's a freaking tradition. But personally, you couldn't have PAID me to join.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
UGAnchora - sounds to me that those girls watched Dazed & Confused one too many times. All of that stuff is in there - except that it's junior girls, going into their senior year, and they kidnap soon to be freshman. Other than that, they copied straight from the move.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

GWI

GWI has been around for YEARS....some of the girls' mothers were in it....and even some teachers!