GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,613
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Flukenhb
» Online Users: 2,415
2 members and 2,413 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

a new chapter of my sorority i would like to start, but i doubt i could do it alone. I know i should really talk to KSU she seems to know a lot.

I e-mailed the greek life people at the schools i applied to with my sorority to ask them about the process of accepting transfer students.

and yah i just have to figure out what kind groups there are. i guess because at my school we dont really have organizations other than greek so i dont really know what else is out there....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylochick216 View Post
I don't know if you're at JMU now, but there's a Sigma chapter there. There are also some wonderful schools in NC with Sigma chapters. All have communications programs.

actually its crazy, i would transfer to JMU my best friend goes there and loves it, and i met a girl there in sigma, but they unfortuantly dont have my concentration for communcications. they have news writing and journalism, which isnt my concentration

i ultimatly want to go to a school NC, but i didnt take 4 yrs of math in HS, so that has screwed me all up. i could only go in the spring

Note: anyone who plans to transfer to a school in NC who didnt take 4 yrs of math in HS you must take before applying: 6 hrs in a social science, language, math, english, and science.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
a new chapter of my sorority i would like to start, but i doubt i could do it alone. I know i should really talk to KSU she seems to know a lot.
KSUViolet06 is a great resource.

Starting a new chapter of your sorority involves lots of red tape. If there's no need for another NPC sorority on your campus, then there's nothing you can do about it. Even if your campus is open for another one coming on board, you still need the approval of Tri Sigma's Extension Committee. Good luck with that.

Quote:
I e-mailed the greek life people at the schools i applied to with my sorority to ask them about the process of accepting transfer students.
The people in the Greek Life office won't know Tri Sigma's Membership policies so why even bother with them? YOU SHOULD CONSULT TRI SIGMAS WHO HAVE ACCESS TO A MEMBERSHIP HANDBOOK.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

i would like to warn you that if you should pursue transferring to florida state, you not only have to be accepted into the university , but must also make a separate application to either the film school or the tv production school. they accept new students in the fall only, and only accept transfers as juniors. it is very difficult to be admitted into the film school or the tv production school.

talk to your sister, ksuviolet-she has volunteered to help you. now that's sisterhood!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

i never got a handbook. we were supposed to, but they never arrived..
then i guess i should contact their presidents....ha
Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the lady was in a sorority and did just that..turned her pin in and switched. thats why i am guessing that probably the rules have changed.
No. I'm guessing she didn't know the rules or chose to IGNORE them. The rules have been around for a LONG time.

And learn your damn geography. Thinking that the midwest and west are the same has made you look REALLY stupid.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
I'll be blunt and say that it just gets worse for you with each post you leave.

NEW MEMBER HANDBOOKS ARE NOT THE SAME AS MEMBERSHIP HANDBOOKS!

Membership handbooks are usually in the possession of the Membership Chair (or whatever Tri Sigma calls it), the President, and the Chapter Advisor.

Your best bet would be to contact *YOUR* Chapter President or Chapter Advisor since they know *YOU*. I wouldn't bother contacting the people at the schools you're considering because judging from what I've seen here, they probably won't even take you seriously.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:

When did you get initiated? If you have not yet received all of your materials, I'd contact your VP.

Also, if you're interested in extension (starting a new chapter of Sigma at your new school) I would contact HQ at sigma@trisigma.org

More extension info:

http://www.sigmasigmasigma.org/pages...ns::extensions

If you have questions regarding our membership policies, please consult your chapter officers or one of your advisors.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-14-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, this is driving me crazy. You are NOT looking for a "media relations" major or anything like that. I take it you don't know what media relations really is, but you need to believe me because it's a big part of what I do for a career. You are looking for a telecommunications or broadcast journalism major.

The problem is that honestly those specific majors are just not offered at a great number of schools, particularly ones that, to be blunt, accept students with un-stellar academic records. And before you jump to defend your academic record, let me just say I'm pretty shocked that you didn't take math all four years of high school; I graduated from hs in 1996 and even back then we were told that in order to get into a good college you needed four years of math. You just didn't prepare yourself well enough to go to many BIG, impressive, good-academics, school pride, residential universities. Here is what is fair: students who prepare the most usually get the most in return.

Most people in broadcast fields today didn't actually major in broadcast-specific majors. A journalism major would actually prepare you very well, as would a general communications major, but you have to do more to prepare yourself outside of the classroom, too. You need to get an internship, take a job as a PA like every other scrub in the business, or volunteer at the school's TV station if they have one.

The person who suggested Univ. of Southern Calif. was right on...they have a terrific film and communication arts school, as does my university nearby, but I don't think schools of that caliber will accept students with academic records that are similar to what you've implied/spoken of here.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Mods can we lock this? The official answer has been given. I don't think there's anything more to say.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Mods can we lock this? The official answer has been given. I don't think there's anything more to say.
I think the conversation between lilcutie88 is done, but I don't think it's fair to the rest of us to close the entire thread completely.

It wasn't her thread to begin with.
Closed Thread