GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,329
1 members and 1,328 guests
jamesdarkoz4353

Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I was there when Elon started their Alum chapter. However, the specific GLO in question knew that they were closing prior to our Recruitment in January and that the chapter would be closing at the end of the school year. The chapter did not participate in formal recruitment that year and while I believe it did COB some juniors and seniors, it was with the knowledge that they would be going alum and joining the alum chapter.

Also, the Elon Alum Chapter had a huge presence on the higher up staff level of the university, which may have played a role in getting the alum chapter together so quickly. I also believe that this was the first GLO to ever close at Elon.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Also, the Elon Alum Chapter had a huge presence on the higher up staff level of the university, which may have played a role in getting the alum chapter together so quickly. I also believe that this was the first GLO to ever close at Elon.
Do you mean the advisors or there were sisters workiing for the university? If it's the latter, that is what I meant - they had graduate alumnae not just undergraduate alumnae.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As I said before - you were definitely given incorrect info on this and on the letter thing, because Elon was allowed to start an alum chapter after they were closed. I think they got around it because there were some actual graduated alumnae there who joined. As for the letters thing, if they don't want you in letters, they need to terminate your membership. Wearing letters is a privilege of being an alumna and alumnae don't "check up" on what they're all wearing every day.

The "looks like a function" (which I think is bullshit) gets tossed around even if you're NOT wearing letters, so to use this as a reason for you not to wear them is kind of silly.
Well... You KNOW where this info came from...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Do you mean the advisors or there were sisters workiing for the university? If it's the latter, that is what I meant - they had graduate alumnae not just undergraduate alumnae.
A little bit of both. The Director of Admissions was the chapter's advisor (I believe) and also from that specific chapter, there were also graduate alumni from the specific chapter that worked for Elon at that time. I think because of this connection, the graduate alums were working the Campus Panhel and their HQ to for the alum organization for when the chapter closed. I know that after the chapters "official closing" the undergrad alums were still a presence on campus -- they held events, wore letters, etc.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to say thanks to everyone here who has been so nice. The Panhellenic spirit is stronger than I ever knew possible. I honestly feel more love towards NPC than my own sorority right now.

This is probably going to sound like I'm betraying my org, but with recruitment coming up, I'd love to be able to help. Does anyone know if it's possible for someone in my situation to get involved? I can't be a Gamma Chi, but I'd really like to help out in some way. Any thoughts?

Thanks again, everyone. It's been a blessing to have GC to turn to during all this.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 AM

Maybe talk to Panhellenic about if they need runners or tech support help or whatever you may be good at. Also, you could make treats for the Rho Chis and/or chapters.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Why can't you be a gamma chi? I know that the chapter that was closing at Elon's campus had 3 gamma chis that year. Granted, it was still technically open - but they weren't participating. You would probably be a great gamma chi because you seem to have a muture perspective of greek life and could offer a lot to pnms.

If your school is dead set on letting you become a gamma chi - maybe see if you can help in the greek life office or something. Recruitment is so crazy, I would be surprised if they turned down volunteers!