GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,648
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, veleypitt5000
» Online Users: 1,700
2 members and 1,698 guests
MSKKG, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslietfj View Post
you can go through the process of trying to get a 5th sorority on campus. A new chapter wouldn't be nearly as concerned about age (although the continuing grades thread would still apply) because they need a full house of all years so they don't graduate all their new members at once.

If there are 4 chapters there and you got cut from three immediately and 1 after that, it may be time for expansion on campus. You'll know this pretty quick if none are doing continuous open bidding (informal rush). If some are, and they still aren't interested, then there's a problem you're not telling us about.

The age thing could scare some of the women off, but getting to know you and your situation should help that. They don't want to pledge a junior or senior, but if in reality you're a sophomore, that's a different thing.

And if there's a "best" and "worst" house on campus, you'll want to focus your efforts on the "worst." That is not to say that chapter wouldn't be a great and very fulfilling experience. It mostly will just mean they don't have the numbers and will be looking to add some quality enthusiastic women.

Best of luck to you. I've been an Alpha Xi Delta for 24 years now and am the president of my local alumnae association. I helped "colonize" a new chapter several years ago and although it's a really different kind of sorority experience, it may be just that much more fulfilling.
Just because the OP was cut from every chapter on campus doesn't mean another chapter is needed. There's a good chance that her barely over 2.5 GPA and her 21 years of age may have had something to do with it.

And also, while because the "worst" house might be smaller, it doesn't mean they don't have standards. That "worst" house cut the OP. If they were desperate for members like you imply, they wouldn't have cut the OP.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
If they were desperate for members like you imply, they wouldn't have cut the OP.
Ditto.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My GPA is a 2.9. I barely miss having a 3.0. It’s not the greatest but I don’t think my GPA is the problem. I KNOW my age was a problem, I knew going into it that it might be held against me. However, my letters of recommendation were excellent and my application was great. So I thought I may still have a chance. I don’t understand how you can tell me that you don’t know why I was turned down, yet you keep assuming that it was my GPA and my poor grammar on a chat. And every time someone supports me or gives me good advice you attack them.
I also know that to start the process of adding another organization on campus, someone (i.e. ME) has to show interest and a willingness to move forward with it. I can’t do it on my own and I know that and I also know that it will be a long process. However, it is a process that I’m willing to do. And that’s all that matters. Not what you say on here.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM

We can tell you that we don't know why you didn't receive a bid, because the member selection process of every sorority is private.

Unless we were present with those sororities when they made their invite lists, we really don't know.

We can speculate, but that's all we can do. We will never know for sure (and really neither will you).

We're not being negative when we say that, it's just that we honetly don't know.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-25-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

seriously utcutie315? are you going to hijack yet another thread ?

don't make me page teh triad!

WE CANNOT TELL YOU WHY YOU WERE CUT.

You can dwell on it and speculate all you want, but no one here knows and neither do you. The only people who know are the girls who were in MS, and even if you asked them, they can't tell you.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow - busy night!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I just don't understand that the speculations that are being made are putting me down or making me look bad. All I ever said was that my GPA was higher than what was asked. No one knew that my actual GPA was a 2.9. I just felt like I was being attacked, and I didn't really appriciate it. Is it not possible that I could have met every qualification and still been dropped? Why does it have to be because of something I did or could have done wrong?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Your thread (actually it was someone else's thread that you hijacked) was closed.

Let's close the book on why you were cut. We don't know. You don't know.

Maybe the sororities have some super secret qualification that they are looking for that you didn't meet. You don't know what they are looking for in sisters. Maybe you "met the qualifications"... maybe you didn't.

Once again, NO ONE KNOWS BUT THEM.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand that you do not know. I wasn't asking why? I was asking what kind of options do I still have.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused on what you mean when you say, hijacked a thread. Sorry if I did something wrong.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

How about you read the responses that were given to the OP? There are FOUR pages prior to this one.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utcutie315 View Post
I just don't understand that the speculations that are being made are putting me down or making me look bad. All I ever said was that my GPA was higher than what was asked. No one knew that my actual GPA was a 2.9. I just felt like I was being attacked, and I didn't really appriciate it. Is it not possible that I could have met every qualification and still been dropped? Why does it have to be because of something I did or could have done wrong?
I actually never assumed it was your grades (though below a 3.0 is always a risk) and I doubt your age was as much of a factor as you believe it was.

Miranda Hobbes has been quoted here often (I forget the dude's name who wrote the book, so yes, I'm quoting a fictional character), and I believe that theory is what most likely applies: the NPC chapters at your school just aren't that into you. Life sucks at times. There are obstacles in the road. Get a helmet, plow through. You are likely not going to be greek during your college years, and I'm sorry about that because you've made it clear you would like to have been. It's not the end of the world. So either just recommit to trying again next year or move on, re-engaging the same discussion over and over again on this board is going to get you nowhere. As the last couple days have sufficiently proven.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Something to think about:

Just because someone's GPA is above the minimum, doesn't mean they automatically get a bid. At most schools, ALL of the girls going through are above the minimum 2.5. There are other factors that play into it. Not every girl whose GPA is above the min. gets a bid. These other factors include how involved the girl is on campus, how she presents herself in recruitment rounds, etc. There's alot of things, not just GPA being above the minimum.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I missing something or is utcutie the OP.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

lol you're not... i thought the OP was someone else and ut was hijacking another thread LOL

my bad.

Seriously though, in the first few replies people have told her:

Quote:
1) Let the Panhellenic Office know that you are interested in COB/Spring Rush opportunities. Some groups may be interested in picking up a few extra members, but your age still make work against you, as may your GPA, and I am telling you to inform Panhellenic just on the off chance that an opportunity becomes available...I wouldn't get your hopes up.
2) Find other groups to join...are there any service fraternities on campus? Non-panhellenic women's groups? And what are you interested in...chances are there is a group on campus (drama, debate, music, etc.) that covers your interests in addition to providing a social outlet...and if you have some time left at UT-C, you might start your own organization if none of the ones that are left fits your needs!
3) Just get out and meet other people...a sorority may not be in the cards for you, but you still can have fun in college, go to parties, and have lots of friends!
Quote:
That pretty much is the option. Just stay in touch w/ your Rho Chi and let her know you're interested.
Quote:
Work on your grades (I know, easy for me to say), and let the Greek office know that you're open to COR both this term and next term. There could be an opening that an improved GPA will allow you to grab!
There is no secret magic formula to getting a bid the second time around. People have given her suggestions. I'm not sure what more she wants.