GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,371
1 members and 1,370 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a kind of related situation. I'm going to be a freshman this fall and I will be living in the residence halls. My plan is to wait till sophomore year to hopefully join a sorority. I don't want to try and join one my freshman year because I want to get use to college first. Is it much harder to get a bid sophomore year versus freshman year?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2014Z View Post
I have a kind of related situation. I'm going to be a freshman this fall and I will be living in the residence halls. My plan is to wait till sophomore year to hopefully join a sorority. I don't want to try and join one my freshman year because I want to get use to college first. Is it much harder to get a bid sophomore year versus freshman year?
It really depends on what school you go to.

At some schools, it's not such a big deal to wait a year.

At a more competitive school, being a sophomore makes things MUCH more difficult.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2014Z View Post
Go to this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=112718

If your school is mentioned anywhere in this thread, DO NOT wait until sophomore year. Oh and get your recs in order quickly.

FWIW I agree with your plan, but the fact is that at many schools, being a sophomore is a tremendous handicap.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

A2014Z, joining a sorority can help you get acclimated to school. You're bound to have some classes with sisters, or at least have sisters with the same major.

If you're worried you won't have friends outside your sorority, it's what you make of it. Get involved in other campus organizations. Most schools don't have freshmen move in right away, so you will still be living with plenty of non-Greeks as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Excellent answer from my SK sister! I was a commuter and if I hadn't pledged, college would have been like 13th grade. Being Greek helped me settle in, make friends and become involved in campus life. As for non-Greek friends, I worked off-campus as a cashier at Kroger and socialized a lot with my co-workers, and those are among my best memories of college too.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmie_k View Post
Hiii, I am a Freshman at U. Memphis. My parents didn't want me to attend here as their alma mater is U. Tenn but I am not ready to go hours away because we live in Collierville. I'm the only daughter so I understand why my mom wants me to wait and join her sorority but I don't see it being easy or useful Junior year. I might transfer after Freshman year but I am just not sure about living away from home! U. Tenn definitely has larger chapters but I know I will be bored at U. Memphis not joining anything. I would love to be part of my moms but most of my friends join ADPi so I would love to be their sister also. I could affiliate at U. Tenn also when I transfer and still be a part of a sorority! There is really pros and cons on both sides so I am torn. If anyone has gone through this and can share their stories please do! So ladies, my question is should I join now with my friends or hold out for my mom?
QFP

Last edited by Benzgirl; 06-20-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, thank you everyone. It was helpful advice.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 PM

remmie, I take everything I said back. You should totally wait until you are a junior to go through rush. It will give everyone in the area time to get to know you very well.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
remmie, I take everything I said back. You should totally wait until you are a junior to go through rush. It will give everyone in the area time to get to know you very well.
I have a couple of sources that tell me they have already familiarized themselves with this darling girl and the way she's presented herself here. Viva the intarwebz!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
I have a couple of sources that tell me they have already familiarized themselves with this darling girl and the way she's presented herself here. Viva the intarwebz!
I hope your sources will keep you updated so that you can keep us updated.