GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,462
1 members and 1,461 guests
g41965

Old 06-26-2010, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment event dresses

Hey girls!

I noticed that a couple of chapters have the same dress just different colors for recruitment parties. I was looking at the recruitment pictures thread and saw that the Delta gamma have their chapter in half pink half baby blue dresses and pi beta phi's have fuscia and blue dresses but they are the same dresses for each chapter. It looks great and I really want to get my chapter looking like this. Is there a place where you can bulk ordered them? And if you were to choose 5 different colors as options how do you make sure that there's an even amount of each color. Do you assign the girls specific colors? Any input would be great!

Thank youu!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM

First off, make sure that your chapter's Panhellenic permits bulk ordering.

5 colors might be a little too many - why not stick to your sorority's 3 colors? Light blue, dark blue, gold.

Just divide your roster into 3 groups. If there are people who look like crap in a certain color, allow them to change with someone. As a pale skinned girl who cannot wear gold, you want to avoid this. (Obviously, be sure you know who's wearing what color before you order.)
Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember seeing a picture from Zeta Xi's recruitment (I forget which day/year it was from) where the girls wore different dresses but some had light blue dresses, some had dark blue, and the others had yellow or gold dresses. I'm not sure I like the idea of everyone wearing the same dress. Also what were the five colors you were planning on having?

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Ditto what 33 said. Check and make sure that your school allows it first. You don't want to have girls spend money on something they aren't allowed to wear.

The chapters I've heard of who do this kind of thing ordered from the "occasions" or "party dress" line of a company that makes bridesmaid dresses (e.g. Dessy, Jim Hjelm, etc.) There are some who have them made by reputable seamstresses or area custom boutiques as well.

The only thing with the matching dresses is that if you have fall recruitment, you'd need adequate time for girls to be sized, order the dresses, and have the alterations made, as they take awhile to come in. I've heard of chapters ordering in April for August recruitment.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDgirl View Post
Hey girls!

I noticed that a couple of chapters have the same dress just different colors for recruitment parties. I was looking at the recruitment pictures thread and saw that the Delta gamma have their chapter in half pink half baby blue dresses and pi beta phi's have fuscia and blue dresses but they are the same dresses for each chapter. It looks great and I really want to get my chapter looking like this. Is there a place where you can bulk ordered them? And if you were to choose 5 different colors as options how do you make sure that there's an even amount of each color. Do you assign the girls specific colors? Any input would be great!

Thank youu!!

The girls at Auburn all wore dresses in our colors, but they were all different. I think they looked beautiful and put together. I remember seeing a ton of pictures, but here's just one that I found (I hope it's okay that I "borrowed" the picture from Cora's Facebook page):

Not sure if this is allowed at your campus or if it would work for your chapter, but I thought that these were really cute too (from Western Carolina):

Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE the polo dresses too, BUT they are not universally flattering on all body types as witnessed last year when one of our groups used this idea. I would have to agree with the 5 colors being to many and agree that a lot of campuses do not allow bulk ordering. I personally think if you pick a shade dark or light blue and have the ladies wear a dress that looks flattering on them you will have a beautiful party.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Here's a picture (also swiped from FB, ha) of my chapter's second invite dresses.

You can't really see too many of the dress, but you get the idea.

There were three dress colors, light blue, dark blue and gold (although there kind of ended up being a lot of colors because some of the dark blues were navy while others were royal and some of the light blues were more turquoise and others were more powder blue), but I think the variety ended up looking really nice.

As far as how you make sure that there's an even number of colors...we were assigned dress colors. Our recruitment VP notified us what color we were suppose to wear during the spring before recruitment so we could have plenty of time to look for one. Be careful with gold though, it may not work with all skin tones, so you may want to give special consideration when you're deciding who wears gold.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I really like the look of the Auburn AXiDs. It looks unified without anyone looking the same.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I really like the look of the Auburn AXiDs. It looks unified without anyone looking the same.
It kind of sends a nice message, as well. Unified, but each girl is an individual.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
The girls at Auburn all wore dresses in our colors, but they were all different. I think they looked beautiful and put together. I remember seeing a ton of pictures, but here's just one that I found (I hope it's okay that I "borrowed" the picture from Cora's Facebook page):

This was the picture I was talking about lol. I also like how some of them have blue or yellow shoes.

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alum from Theta Nu of AXiD, we did something in the past similar to the Auburn photo in the past. After recruitment was over, we were told by our new members at the time that while they thought it was cute, it was hard to tell who was a sister and who was a PNM. All the other sororities on our campus tend to stick with one color or color combination (black dresses, navy skirts & white tops, etc). We are also looking into new outfit ideas to let us stand out from the other chapters - but also look adorable.