GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,528
0 members and 1,528 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 PM
AnnaT

How do you know?

As I read other posts I see "XYZ is super competitive" or something of that nature. What classifies a school as non-competitive or competitive? I have no clue where my school falls.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

If you tell us your school, we can tell you if it is competive.

However, any school where no one needs recs, chapters aren't particularly picky about GPA, minimal activities are OK, and mostly everyone who goes thru each year gets a bid - those would be considered non-competitive. All SEC schools - except for maybe Vandy - are highly competitive. So arebig name schools like USC, UCLA, Ohio State, almost all Texas schools, FSU, Clemson, etc......
Old 08-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
So arebig name schools like USC, UCLA, Ohio State, almost all Texas schools, FSU, Clemson, etc......
I would disagree with Ohio State. Somewhat competitive, sure, but I wouldn't say as competitive as many/most of the other Big 10 schools.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaT View Post
As I read other posts I see "XYZ is super competitive" or something of that nature. What classifies a school as non-competitive or competitive? I have no clue where my school falls.
There is no such thing as a "non-competitive" school. That would imply that everyone who rushes gets into the sorority they want. That does not happen anywhere.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
What surprises me is the schools where every chapter makes quota, and total is such that there is no COB at all. It does seem like these schools would miss out on some great women. No matter how much RFM is helping, there will be women who fall through the cracks and don't get invitations to pref. It seems a shame that there are no options for them to join the same semester.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
What surprises me is the schools where every chapter makes quota, and total is such that there is no COB at all. It does seem like these schools would miss out on some great women. No matter how much RFM is helping, there will be women who fall through the cracks and don't get invitations to pref. It seems a shame that there are no options for them to join the same semester.
Remember, most of the women who end up bidless are the ones who withdraw. I think it's good for the demand to be a *little* bit higher than the supply. That way, there isn't an dramatically struggling chapter and it is perceived as an honor to join any chapter, but if demand is much higher than supply, it's a script for rampant anti-Greek sentiment. If there's a consistent upward trend in membership, CPHs usually look to extension or raising total.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM
AnnaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There is no such thing as a "non-competitive" school. That would imply that everyone who rushes gets into the sorority they want. That does not happen anywhere.
I think you know what I meant by non-competitive. AKA- Not a school with 1200+ PNMs, 12+ sororities, etc.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
I would disagree with Ohio State. Somewhat competitive, sure, but I wouldn't say as competitive as many/most of the other Big 10 schools.
OSU is definitely not competitive, at least in relation to schools of similar size, etc.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaT View Post
I think you know what I meant by non-competitive. AKA- Not a school with 1200+ PNMs, 12+ sororities, etc.
I don't think it is necessarily a size thing. Illinois is the biggest FR in the country, but I would not call it "competitive". Many women going through have no recs, sophomores (and even juniors) regularly get bids, and PNM's can sign up as late as the day rush begins.

Now, I think this largely stems from the lack of anybody caring what chapter you are in post-college 'round these parts, but the "top" chapters were not set in stone, and almost nobody I knew had much preparation for FR.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM

^^Exactly. There are schools with less than 5 sororities (who usually have all been there since the dawn of time) and less than 1200 rushees that are far from being "noncompetitive."