GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,661
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, tpsmith70
» Online Users: 1,757
0 members and 1,757 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
This. Summer orientation sessions are pre-recruitment activities. You CANNOT wait to go to orientation once school has started. Please know, UT recruitment has its own set of rules and behind the scenes protocol. Just interpreting the recruitment clothing suggestions and then shopping for the outfits has sent mother/daughter duos into meltdown.

Also, I noticed you are working to find UT alumnae to write recs. I don't think this is a necessity - but I may be wrong. Please weigh in, UT Greekchatters.
I don't think that's what she's saying. I think she means alumnae local to them that are members of sororities represented at Texas and know her and her family.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
The late orientation session has always been in place specifically targeting international students. Many come here without any parental involvement and it provides an opportunity to move into their dorm room and register for classes the week before. Without the late session some would not come to a session at all or be forced into paying for two international flights or wasting time on a student visa for which they would rather actually be studying.
Well then, they should limit it to international students so they could focus on and discuss the challenges they are going to face, rather than offering it up to people who are perfectly able to get there at another time. I'm sure sorority rushees aren't the only ones perpetually screwed by this late session if it's presented as a cost-saving measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
It. Is. Not. An. "Alternative." They are a fully functioning chapter that will participate in formal recruitment this year. You don't have any experience with this school except from what you have read on the internet. Step away from the keyboard.

You have a history here of presenting groups like colonies, revitalized chapters and struggling groups as "alternatives" for PNMs who have some kind of additional hurdle to overcome. That only perpetuates stereotypes and comes off as patronizing.
Ten thousand million billion trillion times YES.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that the late session should be reserved for either international students or students that might be participating in a summer program where they legitimately don't have three days earlier in the summer. For the OP's daughter, without knowing why this is the session she is registered for, we can only speculate. Many students get places in this last session because frankly they either procrastinated in signing up or they made their college choice late and that is what was left. That session is notorious for crappy course selection too so the bottom line is that if the OP's daughter has the time and the means earlier in the summer then phone calls of firm persistence should be made to make it happen. And of course the student aid you get first will tell you no. It will be up to the OP to find away to turn it into a yes. There are so many avenues, UT Panhellenic, Texas Parents, the advisor if she is in a small honors program, etc. It doesn't have to come through the orientation folks. Get creative, find a way.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
This. Summer orientation sessions are pre-recruitment activities. You CANNOT wait to go to orientation once school has started. Please know, UT recruitment has its own set of rules and behind the scenes protocol. Just interpreting the recruitment clothing suggestions and then shopping for the outfits has sent mother/daughter duos into meltdown.

Also, I noticed you are working to find UT alumnae to write recs. I don't think this is a necessity - but I may be wrong. Please weigh in, UT Greekchatters.
You do not need UT alumnae to write recs. If you are very good friends with a UT alumnae, it would be nice, but not necessary. Recommendations are necessary, though!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
or students that might be participating in a summer program where they legitimately don't have three days earlier in the summer.
This- overseas during June and July so late orientation is the only option. I am taking in all the advice everyone has given and we are trying to find a way to get back to the US for a summer session. It's not a financial issue but a timing issue. To get to Austin for 3 days would require almost a full week off program due to flight schedules and she may not be allowed to miss that much time. UT Greek office was very helpful and tries to accommodate girls in this situation. They said she could get to approx. 10 of the 14 houses depending on the orientation schedule but I know it is not ideal, especially for a PNM with no contacts or legacy houses at UT.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Going to 10 out of 14 would be better than nothing, but I would be interested in knowing what 4 would be missed. Depending on the PNM, missing 4 chapters might not be a big deal, it would depend which four. It is not uncommon for the majority of PNMs to not have full schedule round 2, so having four knocked off the list before even starting may not matter in the long run, and yet depending on what chapters are in question, it could be a huge miss. It would be nice if your daughter knew what four chapters she would miss (which based on my knowledge, she would have no idea because Panhellenic would have no idea that early on) so that maybe she could make a weekend visit to UT prior to her departure on her summer program and carve out a way to meet some girls in those houses. The first orientation session is the 5th of June, will she already be gone at that point? Most high schools don't even finish until the very end of May. It might be a tight turn, but worth it if greek life is important to her.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that it would be in your daughter's best interest to go to an earlier orientation session if at all possible. UT recruitment is brutal in the best of circumstances. I know last year there were some conflicts with the girls that were on cheer and pom squad, as well as late orientation girls. Each of the sororities sent representatives to meet with them. There is a good chance that they will do the same this year...however, I don't know how sucessful those girls were in the process. The greeklife office really does try to work to make sure every girl has a chance, but they can only do so much.

As far as the May deadline...this was crucial back in the day when it was legal to "pre-rush" at orientation. The chapters wanted to get packets before the first orietation session in June, so that they could contact girls and arrange to meet them during orientation. This is no longer "legal"..not saying it doesn't happen..but those chapters that are caught, get heafty fines. If I had a daughter going through recruitment at UT and she was contacted by a sorority for orientation, I would tell her to politley decline the invitation. I would however encourage her make as many contacts as possible while there and to conduct herself in a positive light at all times. She will be watched.

That being said, the earlier the better..each chapter gets hundreds if not thousands of packets throughout the summer and I would guess that after a while they all start blending together.

Good luck to your daughter!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Good advice Ladybugmom!