GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose
» Online Users: 2,390
1 members and 2,389 guests
orbit

Old 07-28-2015, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Five chapters missing Installation dates...

In improving the wikipedia page about Theta Phi Alpha chapters
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Alpha_chapters )
I've finished going through the Centennial History and the e-news archives (trusting the e-news archives more) and have installation dates for all but 5 chapters. The ones that I don't have a specific day (along with what I have) is

Eta - Boston U 1921
Xi - U of Iowa April 1926
Omicron U of Denver November 1926
Beta Pi - SUNY Albany December 1992
Beta Rho - Goldey Beacom C. February? 1992/1993 (history book is inconsistent and nothing in e-news)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Boston U doesn't have its yearbooks on the web so I'm looking through yearbooks for the other 4. (Note, I just have 1970 for Alpha Kappa, the chapter that never was.)
Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Found Xi in some very old U of Iowa newspapers.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Beta Rho - Goldey Beacom C. February? 1992/1993 (history book is inconsistent and nothing in e-news)
February '93. It's on our website chapter listing. (Also the old Beta Rho website in all its Angelfire glory.)

I'm not sure if there are public sources for the dates. As you observed, they were not included in e-news anniversary announcements for their respective anniversary months.

Edit: also, why is Gamma Gamma listed as inactive?

Last edited by WhiteRose1912; 07-29-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
February '93. It's on our website chapter listing. (Also the old Beta Rho website in all its Angelfire glory.)

I'm not sure if there are public sources for the dates. As you observed, they were not included in e-news anniversary announcements for their respective anniversary months.

Edit: also, why is Gamma Gamma listed as inactive?

Thanx, I don't see the February on either
http://www.thetaphialpha.org/delaware
or
http://thetaphialpha.org/find-a-chap...-greek-letters
Since I did the original posting I did find the angelfire site. (I actually walked my way back through the Theta Phi Alpha websites on archive.org and eventually found a link to the angelfire site. (sort of wierd when half of the chapter websites were on geocities and most of the rest on angelfire...)

Yeah, most of the chapters are posted there, it even gives some reinstallation dates.

As a separate question. Theta Phi Alpha appears to use somewhat different terminology than I'm used, what is preferred in Theta Phi Alpha? Installed, Suspended and Reinstated?

Yeah, I went through to make sure all of the Active chapters had the range end in - and the inactive chapters end in a date and at that point I checked and realized that Gamma Gamma at Kutztown was active.

I'm using the word hazing in terms for closure/suspension for three schools: Beta Theta at St. Francis, Beta Upsilon at St. Leo, and Gamma Sigma at York College. I believe that the references support those...

So current situation is day found for Iowa and Denver. Have Month and Year for SUNY Albany and Goldey Beacom and only the year for Boston U.