GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576

Old 07-31-2002, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Respect Alumni

It seems that the older alumni do not get treated well. I felt that many of my sisters did not respect the alumni that were in the house in the 1950's. They were always willing to help us out this year, but I don' t feel they received enough thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I think that many chapters probobly have a respect issue. All older sister should be respected... seeing that they are the reason the chapter is still going. We had a sister who was a founder of our local come back and visit this year, I think thats awesome...

But I do see some sisters not giving Alum the respect they deserve!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Alumni is the only reason we're still on campus. Our Alumni Board Prez is from our ORIGINAL charter class from 1948! Our ACB fought really hard to get us our new house, and get us out of trouble often (tehe)

Of course there's a little resentment, but I find it's more of a parental thing. I mean, they come down on us because they don't wanna see us get in trouble, even though we all know they did the same things when they were our age. So, with young adults who just wanna have fun like us, it's kinda natural that you would think alumni is being a little uptight. But they are our brothers, so we treat them as such.

On a side note....STOP WATCHING AMERICAN IDOL!!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU AMERICA? RYAN STARR IS AMAZING! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? RYAN STARR CAN DO IT ALL (PLUS SHE'S LIKE, EXTREMELY HOT/BEAUTIFUL/SEXY). SHE'S GONNA MKING PLATINUM RECORDS WHILE THOSE OTHER 6 ARE FLOUNDERING AROUND IN ONE HIT WONDERLAND. OMG AMERICA?!??!

Ok, sorry bout that rant, just needed to get that off my chest. Fox has lost one viewer tonight..........OMG ISN'T RYAN HOT???

Last edited by DeltaSigStan; 08-01-2002 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Our alums are our brothers. They're constantly there to remind us that we have to get business done! I think when you go out into the real world this all becomes more clear

But as to lack of respect... That's absolutely despicable. The alums of your chapter are just as responsible (and probably more so) for your being able to call yourself a member of XYZ today!

Treat them with the same respect you would want to be treated with yourself -- or get the hell out!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-01-2002, 11:51 AM

Lana -

drop those alums a note saying thank you....they will love it. That's really what most of them want.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:45 PM

Alums often don't get treated well, which is sad. I came back to help my chapter with rush, and the president was very rude to me (where PNM's could hear her, no less). That left such a sour taste in my mouth that I have had very little to do with my chapter since.

Actives, let that be a lesson... don't piss off your alums
Old 08-01-2002, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Well I do not have that Problem! Well most of the time!

When I pull up in the parking area with LXA 1 on my tag they damn sure well know who it is!

Besides that ego trip, we have a group of Alums who ahve been working with the Chapter each Sem on a Leadership meeting on our own!

While at our last International Reg. In KC one of our ELCs brought up the GTFO theory! If you anint in then "Get The Fuck Out" and Dont impede us for doing better!

That is so true when you look at the situation at hand! If someone is doing that talk to them and if that does not work threeaten them and if that does not work boot them! Why because they will hurt you in the long run!

I was told over a situation that it was none of my God Damn Business as they were the Actives and Alums had nothing to say about it!

Well, I got in his face and said listen Piss Ant, If it was not for me we would not be having this God Damn Conversation! OOPS. Got real calm for a long time!

Our Active Chapter has come to some realization, yes the Alums do work with and for us as We are The Brothers Who have been there before and are thee to try to give guidence not run it!

They are seeing more Alums coming to Functions because We Care and do not want to see them booted off of Campus or lose the Ole Chapter House that the House Corp owns!

Well on to other things I am wound up!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 08-01-2002 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan

On a side note....STOP WATCHING AMERICAN IDOL!!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU AMERICA? RYAN STARR IS AMAZING! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? RYAN STARR CAN DO IT ALL (PLUS SHE'S LIKE, EXTREMELY HOT/BEAUTIFUL/SEXY). SHE'S GONNA MKING PLATINUM RECORDS WHILE THOSE OTHER 6 ARE FLOUNDERING AROUND IN ONE HIT WONDERLAND. OMG AMERICA?!??!

Ok, sorry bout that rant, just needed to get that off my chest. Fox has lost one viewer tonight..........OMG ISN'T RYAN HOT???

Ditto. she will end up in Playboy.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
If you feel as though you're alumni aren't receiving their proper amount of respect, perhaps you should try to change that. Find a way to show them that the collegiate members appreciate all that was done to make the chapter what it is. It can be as simple as sending a card or as extravagant as a dinner in their honor.

Recently, I've gotten in touch with several of my chapter's alum and although I may not know them, I do know what an asset they are to the organization and how wonderful they are as people. They truly are an endless source of encouragement and assistance, even when you aren't aware of it. I think it's only appropriate that the collegiates treat the alum as well as the alum treat us.

Remember, those of us who are currently still in school and actively involved in our respective organizations will one day be the alum.....how do you want to be treated when you're in their shoes?
Old 08-01-2002, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl I sent a letter to the alum last week. I sent the letter to housing corp thanking them for all their help as I adjusted to being house manager. i also thanked them for all of their support whether through cards or food given to the house from them.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Lana,
1 did you get a Badge?
2 Your are the House Manager? Are you insane?
Tuffest job in the house!!!!!!!

I got upset one time and was down for Initiation and the Actives took off and left me! Went to another house to see if they would show me their new house! They did!

Got back to mine and told them to screw off as was treated better at the arch rival House! They all grouped and appologized that night!

Yetta Yetta, know what I mean?

Next night at Founders Day Banquet, I was presented with the Outstanding Alum of the Decade!

It still sits in a place of honor inmy family room to this day for everyone who comes by to see!

Alums are:

Yes very important to the Chapter and we still want to be a part as I have found out by contacting Alums who have not heard anything from the Active Chapter!

At one Founders Day ( I worked My Butt Off to Get as many Alums back as Possible) we had 80 +. Did the Chapter go GAGA over that!

We had over double Alums Back as there were Active Members!

Hell we had more fun than they did!

They were mystified until they heard some of the war stories we talked about and said you guys were crazy!

Actives, keep in contact with your Alums an let them know you appreciate what they did before you as you may not be there if we did not do what we did!

Alums, dont be afraid to contact your Active Chapter as they will appreciate any help you can give them.

It is yes a 2 way street from both ends. With out the other the one shall perish!

Damn did I do good or not!? Scary isnt it! Da!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-03-2002, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Our alum chair which is an exec position seems to be very interested in getting the alum involved which is good. she is a legacy to my house and only a freshman, but doing a lot to get alum involved such as a newsletter. I feel that the older girls in the house are the disrepsectful ones.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Lana,
We had a huge problem with this while I was actually on a study abroad my senior year. I came back and NONE of our alums wanted to help because the president and chapter had been so rude to them that they wanted nothing more to do with our chapter. Did that ever mess us up, and having no alum support makes many events horribly difficult.

I know know how your org is structured, for instance is there a membership education chair? Have an education session for the house where you have some alums(if you can get some) speak about their collegiate days, both recent and older alums. Start the education process with your chapter and have it the same type of education with your new members.

My chapter now knows how invaluable alum support is, and thankfully have changed the way they do things, much to my delight.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My undergraduate experience was kind of limited and I dropped out of college shortly before the chapter folded in 1986.

In 1996 I'd heard that the fraternity was recolonizing at OU and I offered to volunteer whatever support I could to make sure that Alpha Sigma Phi could be reestablished at the University of Oklahoma.

Of course, I had to get used to new and different rules expected of Greeks today, meaning the days of unlimited keg parties and Animal House-like abandon I experienced during my undergrad years were long gone and relegated to 'war story' material.

I designed a decent web site for the fraternity and that helped the colony grow as more people became interested in Alpha Sigma Phi.

And one night in November 1997, I was as proud as any parent to welcome fifty new members into the Mystic Circle of Alpha Sigma Phi, and the following night to see them receive their charter again.

Unfortunately, that's when the slide downhill began.

Having reached their goal of rechartering, they made several fatal mistakes (rush, for example) that eventually hastened their downfall. The few dedicated alumni that gave a damn tried to help but were essentially rebuffed by the undergrads; the other alumni were just simply content to donate money or furniture to the house and go on.

Nearly three years later, with most of the rechartering group having already graduated, the chapter folded.

Whether another opportunity will arise to recolonize the chapter in the next few years is unknown, but I know for a fact that the next time we're not going to fall victim of the same mistakes again. Not if I can help it.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984