GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,702
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, kaylapetrvoz880
» Online Users: 745
0 members and 745 guests
No Members online

Old 12-14-2002, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Louisiana greeks

I was just wondering if there were in Louisiana greeks on here. More specifically any of those at LSU. I have a few questions for y'all if you don't mind...

1. Would you recommend someone who didn't recieve a bid/ dropped out of rush during freshmen year to rush again sophmore year? Or is it just nearly impossible to get a bid the next time around?

2. Is there any way to show a sorority that you are serious about belonging to their organiztion? Like any clubs or acitivies one can do?

3. Any advice for someone hoping to go through rush?

4. How would you find out if any of the sororites are doing an informal rush? Would it just be by word of mouth or invitation?

Thanks a ton y'all

-Megan-
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2002, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey

Hey! I'm not from LSU but I want to try to help. I'm very new at this so I won't prolly give the best advice. But I will say you should definitley go for it. I had a horrible opinion of the Greek system b/c of an incident that happened and then I met some wonderful girls that totally changed my opinion. Thank God! I'm doing COB as a junior and my friend did COB as a senior. So its not too late!

If LSU is done with its formal rush then you can do Continious Open Bidding. Which is what I"m doing. Call your greek panhel/greek life advisor and ask for sororities who are still doing COB.

There are so many wonderful people on GC you will have no trouble getting your questions answered. And if you do end up doing COB or rush again PM and we can have a COB/Rush chat.
Good luck and PM when you can!!!

Jen
Old 12-15-2002, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all, be warned that recruitment at LSU and other SEC schools can be wonderful but also seem cruel. I tried to do a search for you on "LSU" but GC doesn't like 3 letter words, lol.

Anyway, justamom has written several posts concerning how LSU recruitment goes, good/bad, true/not true.

Best of luck wherever you go.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as an upperclassman

The topic has been discussed a lot. At some schools it does not seem to matter what your classification is and at some it matters a lot. I am sure that Justamom or Carnation, who have daughters with experience at LSU recuitment, could answer your question the best. Don't take the word of someone who doesn't know about that particular school because it definitely varies from place to place.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I realized that this topic had been discussed quite a bit, but i was just wondering if there were any LSUers out there who could give me a little bit of advice. I have several greek friends (in fact, almost all of them are greek...), but they are freshmen and have no clue as to what i should do. They've all encouraged me to try again...but I don't want it to be a wasted effort I don't think I could handle the rejection again, I would feel like a TOTAL loser.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I know about LSU. PM me if details are a must.

To answer your questions…
1) It is not impossible for a sophomore to receive a bid but it is definitely more difficult. Know going in that your choices are more limited and that your “dream” house may not appear on your first invitation list.
2) You can show interest by attending any open event that they sponsor especially philanthropy. As far as clubs are concerned, join the ones that YOU are most interested in and be active.
3) Go in with an open mind and be your self. The main thing is to keep your grades up because some groups don’t look at PNMs below a 3.0.
4) Contact the Greek Affairs office and let them know you are interested in COR. Your name will get passed along. Those sororities with openings will contact you. Keep in mind that many groups only contact women they know, i.e. friends, relatives, or a newly transferred legacy.

I have heard that Panhellenic voted to re-institute Spring Rush. That may be an option for you. Again, your choices may be limited especially if they cut you in the Fall. All NPC sororities will participate and it is similar to Fall Formal but less glitzy. When this was done several years ago, Sigma Alpha participated too.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

HI! aopirose KNOWS! LOL! Yes, they are preparing for a spring rush, but I don't know the details. If you can become involved, I honestly think this would be the BEST option-not the ONLY one-just the best.

It boils down to what you can bring to the table as a Sophomore and WHO you know. The more Greeks you know the better of course. All the houses have their own special qualities and there isn't a whole lot of difference between the sisterhood aspects or the campus involvement. ALL have mixers and ALL have major fundraiser and ALL have a lot to offer a young woman.

The BEST way to show an interest is as aopirose said and ask open ended questions of those Greeks you do have contact with.

I have several greek friends (in fact, almost all of them are greek...), but they are freshmen and have no clue as to what i should do. Well, everyone should be initiated now and they have a say in the bidding process so that's good or you. It really does help to have some insiders pulling for you. Just be honest with the ones you are closest to and ask if they can find out about Spring Recruitment. Call the Panhellenic office NOW and see when things are going to start up. EDITED-HA! I guess you MIGHT want to wait till school is back in session!

FIND OUT IF THEY "SUGGEST" A REC FOR EACH SORORITY I don't know if there is an equal amount of importance placed on this as there is during Formal Recruitment. You can PM me too and I will try to answer what I can within the confines of what is appropriate.

Office of Greek Affiars:
137 Johnston Hall
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225/578-2171
greeks@lsu.edu

Last edited by justamom; 12-19-2002 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Megan,
Welcome to Greek Chat! I'm an active at LSU. Everyone else did a great job of answering your questions, but if you have anymore specifics, feel free to send me a private message. I understand your frustration, but I would still say to try again.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

THETALOVE!!! Where have you been? Here's a great big Merry Christmas wish to you! Enjoy your holidays!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Megan, I sent you another PM.