GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,685
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zaluscahvso8407
» Online Users: 1,251
2 members and 1,249 guests
flamboyanttree, GammaGirl1908

Old 02-03-2003, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreaminggreek
Question advice...

i am currently a freshman and i am thinking about doing rush for my sophomore year. when i came here i didn't realize that rushing as an upperclassman was harder or i might have given it more consideration. i had decided to work on my grades and check everything out for a year before trying to go greek. i have heard rumors that we may be adding a new sorority and i was wondering how that will work. will it be easier to join that as an upperclassman? and also, does anyone have any tips for rush? thanks a bunch!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-03-2003, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Does your school have a formal rush or is it just continous open bidding? I rushed as a Soph. and it worked out fine for me, but I did formal rush. Also what size is your campus and greek system? How many are at total? I'm on a 12,000 campus with 7 soroites. I know you may not have the answers for all of these questions but it will help to figure out exactly what to tell you... And it never hurts to try! If you want to go greek then I'm sure there's a soroity out there for you!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

well!

As a sophomore it probably will not be too terrible! You might get cut from a house or several but it'll probably work out fine. (Depends on the campus)
On the note of adding a new one, we added DZ this year here at UF. Over 400 girls had interviews, they only were allowed 150 girls.
*mk* give us more details, we LOVE to help!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Univ of S. Carolina?

There's another thread in the Rush forum about the upcoming expansion at S. Carolina (if that's where you are). I've never gone through it but I believe it involves a round of individual interviews and then Prefs.

Your Greek Life (or whatever it is called at your school) will know more of the details.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Depending your school, it may be almost impossible to join a sorority as a sophomore, or it may not affect your chances at all. At most schools it makes some difference but it usually doesn't make it significantly harder.

If your school is adding a new sorority, they will definitely be looking for girls of all ages. After all, why would they want to have a sorority of only freshman girls? A mix of ages definitely benefits the whole group, so if you're at one of the rare schools where being an upperclassmen makes joining a sorority almost impossible, you should definitely check out the new sorority that's forming, since they'll be much more open to age differences.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sugar and Spice is right. Only those who know about recruitment at your particular school can tell you what your possibilities are as a Sophomore going through. You stand an even chance, though, with a new group coming to campus because they will want girls from all classes. That isn't to say that you couldn't be successful at formal recruitment with the other sororities, but it does depend on where you go to school.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreaminggreek
thanks for all the advice. i've heard here that most of the sororities take between 2 and 4 sophomores. our school is a little different b/c we don't have houses, the sororities are in dorms, each one has a different hall. i'm extremely hopeful though...thanks again!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Dreaming Greek,

I sent you a PM. I advise my chapter at USC, and I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
Martha