GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 934
1 members and 933 guests
Mooch279

Old 05-10-2000, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question A couple of rush/pledge questions

Hi! I'm a UK American studies student and was wondering if someone (anyone!) could help me out.
Part of my course is to spend a year or so at an American Unversity - quite which one, I'm not sure. I have wanted to live in America since I was a child, so this is a dream come true.
To have the true all-American experience, I'd love to join a sorority, but was wondering what the policies on international students were, I mean, could I pledge/join? The idea of being part of a society which helps others and is such a social presence really appeals to me.
Having heard both good and bad things about the greek system, it's hard to know who to believe, especially as my sources aren't all that accurate, living in England! I am a little worried about all the binge drinking horror stories I've heard, as I don't drink (personal choice) or smoke. I'm sure these have been exaggerated.
Anyhoo, if anyone would help me out with their opinions on the pros and cons of greek life (hopefully there are more pro's than con's ), I'd really appreciate it. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanx
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-10-2000, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapters will not (should not) discriminate against anyone based on their ethnicity or the fact that they are international. When you arrive on campus, you can go through the formal recruitment process and through that you will find what chapter is best for you.

The most important thing to remember about all of the stereotypes is that you control yourself and your actions. If you join a sorority, those other members will be your sisters, and that connection is more important than if you drink or smoke. I have a great deal of respect for the sisters in my chapter who choose to uphold such values.

I came to college not wanting to be Greek, and the experience has been invaluable. You meet amazing people, learn things about yourself and others, have the opportunity to particpate in events you had never dreamed of, and you have a sisterhood for life, not just the one year you're in the US.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-10-2000, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
JessicaUK
Don't worry at all. There is an international student in my house and she had no problems rushing. So go for it! It is worth it. All of us in the greek system love it, now you may have heard horrible stories, but most of them are just exagerated rumors. You never hear about all the good things that we do, such as massive community service, which is a shame that we cannot be seen for that....
Old 05-10-2000, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

We had a few international students in my chapter, and this was just a year ago.. so many of them are still there. It wasn't an issue.. we're all family!

Go through rush and see what you think. Keep an open mind, like many others here, I had no desire to 'go Greek', until I discovered it's good (and more accurate) side!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 05-11-2000, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanx for the responses, I'm so glad that I'll be able to pledge! I go next year, still have to pick whereabouts though. I'm thinking maybe San Diego State as I have family there and I know the area, but I really don't know.
It's been so hard to find out stuff, as we have nothing like the Greek system in England. We just have no school spirit over here which really sucks. I was wondering what are some of the activities sororities do for charity? Is it like car washing and stuff? Also, are members encouraged to think of new ideas for fund-raisers? I love doing stuff like that.
Are parties held in the actual sorority houses? I've heard that parties are held like every week or something and having held my fair share of parties here, I know they can get kinda messy...
Sorry, I have a lot of questions
Jessica
Old 05-11-2000, 08:20 PM

Talking

Hi Jessica!
You should TOTALLY go through Formal Rush when you get to school. One of my sisters is an international student from Thailand. She's unbelievable! So committed to the chapter.

If you're considering San Diego, don't forget about University of San Diego and University of California, San Diego. Each school will give you a different experience. That's academically, socially, and with Greek Life.

If you have any questions feel free to email me. I adore San Diego. Perfect weather, perfect beaches, perfect hotties! Why does anyone NOT live here?
Old 05-12-2000, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Jessica -
Charity events can be anything from dance marathons, to volunteering at homeless shelters to selling flowers on campus for Valentines Day. Each sorority has it's own 'pet' project, in addition, they often help out in the philanthropy projects of other GLOs.

As far as parties go, all NPC housing is alcohol free, so the parties that might be held at a sorority house or lodge would have to conform to those rules. You'll see when you go through recruitment that sorority houses are usually quite nice, upscale even, in their amenities and decor. The chapter certainly wouldn't want this home-like environment damaged by a loud pre-game party.

Check out my recruitment page for some informaton on NPC Rush. In SoCal you will also find many Latino, Asian and multi-cultural GLOs. Research the groups on your chosen campus carefully and rush where you feel the most comfortable. The nice thing about the NPC and NPHC groups is that you can usually find members world-wide, meaning that even back home in the UK, you might be able to get involved in either an alumnae chapter for your sorority OR a Panhellenic Association for alumnae (representing alumnae from different NPC sororities).

Best of luck!
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha, alumna
http://tallahasseezta.tripod.com http://panhellenic.tripod.com/FAQ.html
Old 06-20-2000, 03:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Jessica - Good Luck with Rush!

Everyone in the organization you join will be committed to the same philanthropy and you have a common bond with the group of women you decide to join. I am a new member in my house Spring 2000, and I am currently working on a 3 on 3 basketball tourney for our national philanthropy.

Don't be afraid to ask the questions that you have...that's how you find the house that best represents you and who you are. Try and research the sororities on the campus of the school that you are going to (check on the school's student activities for anything to do with greek life and activities). You can also find a great deal of information by checking out national sites for various organizations.

Good Luck and remember to have fun!

------------------
Kappa Alpha Theta
Beta Gamma Chapter
Colorado State University
"Where twin stars shine bright!"
Live the dream - go Theta!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

(old thread)

I wonder how it went for her?