GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,632
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, damastopy6073
» Online Users: 2,335
0 members and 2,335 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2000, 03:31 PM
Inquiring Mind

Question Inquiring Mind Wants to Know

1. How and why did your GLO come to be?
2. Was it founded on any significant ideals or purposes?
3. What makes it unique from other chapters?

NOTE: I'm not looking for fraternity/sorority secrets, just the true history of your GLO. This (among other factors) should help me to decide whether or not to pledge in the spring. UA greeks especially encouraged to respond.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-13-2000, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, talk about simplifying the process!! I wish it was that easy for everyone (well, not really . . . then it wouldn't be worth it, right?)
Old 10-13-2000, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority was founded in 1898 in West Virginia, and was just 102 this year!!! I wish I could have been there to celebrate on Founders Day...sigh.

Very simply put.....
Tri-Sigma came to be because one of the founding members had a brother in a fraternity at a neighboring school, and the idea facinated her.
I can't speak for everyone on this board, but each and every one of the 26 national collgiate sorority chapters was founded for a purpose, and we all hope to think that our organization is unique.

You have to recognize the fact that the thing that makes these org's unique are the members, and the members alone, because you will not find a single greek organization like another. Even diffent chapters of the same org. are different, sometimes extremely.

I pledged and was initiated because I sought and found in my sisters truely good woman. They were funny, smart, and outgoing. They were considerate, diverse (University homecoming queen to kyaking champion to no extra-curriculars at all) and easy to talk to. I just didn't click with the other groups - when and if you rush, you will know the same experience. Depending on where you go, rush doesn't cost anything except the emotion and time you put into it....
and sorority life truly IS what you make of it.

------------------
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Eta
Old 10-13-2000, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Read the book Divine Nine. That should shed some light on BGLO's
Old 10-13-2000, 11:59 PM

Delta Tau Delta was founded to promote honesty and uphold moral principles in 1858 at Bethany College, Virginia (now West Virginia).

In those days, one of the most important events of the college experience at Bethany was an oratory contest. The eight Delt founders discovered that the event had been "rigged," and formed the fraternity to fight those who were "fixing" the contest, and to make the situation right.

The timing was difficult since the new organization almost died during the Civil War, and how it managed to survive is an interesting story.

That's a very simplistic answer. If you're interested in more details, visit the fraternity website at www.delts.com and find the history of the fraternity.

The fraternity has existed continuously since then, and now has over 120 chapters in the United States and Canada. It's oldest continuous chapter is the Beta Chapter at Ohio University (My Alma Mater) in Athens, Ohio which has been a fully accredited chapter since June, 1862.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum

[This message has been edited by DeltAlum (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-14-2000, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Alpha was founded in 1909 at Boston University. Our Founder's Day is celebrated on 22 March 1913 though, because that's when many ideals, mottos and symbols were adopted, at the first general assembly.

My chapter though, is even older. It was started in 1900, the second society on Rose Poly's campus. It was called PIES, or Polytechnic Institute Engineering Sciences. In 1925 PIES joined Theta Kappa Nu, a small national fraternity, which merged in 1939 with LCA.

LCA was founded on Christian principles, was the first fraternity to get rid of pledging, and is the third largest fraternity, and the largest fraternity of the 20 youngest.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 10-14-2000, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Lightbulb

Inquiring Mind, I hope you do decide to pledge. There are many opportunities to enhance yourself and your community, and greek life is one of the best opportunities. Best of luck to you! Do let us know what you decide.

My sorority's history:

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies was founded on May 1, 1989 at the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities Campus by eighteen women. A.S.K.'s vision is to promote excellence amongst women aspiring to or involved in technical fields.

Our Founders felt that sisterhood amongst women in science was necessary. The bond is created through mentorship, friendship, leadership - and most significantly, sisterhood. Technical degree programs and technical industry is still predominately male, and these women felt that kinship and networks amongst technically-minded women would be a positive influence amongst college and professional women.

At the time of our Founding, several of our Founders were loosely organized as a "Little Sister" group of a technically-minded fraternity (Triangle). When Triangle's national organization phased out all little sister groups nationally, these women took the opportunity to reorganize formally as a sisterhood, with goals, ideals and vision specifically aimed at women in science. They chose a two-fold name for our sisterhood: the greek letters Alpha Sigma Kappa, to reflect the social and greek nature of our organization. Women in Technical Studies reflects our emphasis and committment towards our education and our chosen professions.

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies' uniqueness comes from the fact that we impact a very specific community - women in technical fields. Yet this specification is by no means a limitation - our members are involved in pursuing degrees or professions ranging from engineering, to medicine, to applied research.

Though we are a young and small membership, our ideals, goals, and vision appeal universally - and it shows in our growth. In 5 years, we have grown from a solitary chapter to three, in three distinct parts of the United States - and another chapter is in the making. Our individual members are equally unique - my sisters are traditional freshman, as well as women returning to school on the GI Bill.

Wow....I've become very expansive. To know more about my sisterhood, please check out the A.S.K. National Organization's page - the link is in my sig-file.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old 10-14-2000, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by BCNUQT:
My sorority was founded in 1898 in West Virginia

Sorry to tell you this, don't take it the wrong way! But, we were found April 20, 1898 at Longwood College in Farmville, VA...Not West Virginia...