GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,699
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, BillyBobThorton
» Online Users: 1,035
0 members and 1,035 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
And just one more suggestion, if you can't find an Alumnae Panhellenic group in your city, try the Greek Advisor for the nearest university to you. I know before we had organized an Alumnae Panhellenic in Madison, Wisconsin, people would give the UW-Madison greek advisor a call directly. I'm not sure how much help he/she would be able to be, but maybe they could point you in a direction as well. And how lucky about the 'Bama pre-Greek weekend. That sounds AWESOME! I hope APhi will be able to present for that, too!
Best of luck!

TEII
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
BG, do you or anyone else know how many PNMs went bidless at 'Bama last year?

Not positive, but I think it was something like 315. Almost 1100 recieved bids. That 315 includes girls who chose to drop out.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
Not positive, but I think it was something like 315. Almost 1100 recieved bids. That 315 includes girls who chose to drop out.
Thanks for the info, bamagirl09!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

hi-jack

I was just browsing the UA website and noticed that Sigma Lambda Gamma (and 2 other non-NPC sororities, I believe) fall under the Panhellenic council there. Are they required to participate in the traditional recruitment process, or do they pretty much do their own thing?

/hi-jack

Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

No, only the npc chapters participate in formal. The associate groups do more of an intake process or whatever works best for them.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
No, only the npc chapters participate in formal. The associate groups do more of an intake process or whatever works best for them.
Got it. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

hey! i'll be going through rush too. no worries.. i'm in the exact boat.

AΨΩ
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I just got back from there... rush starts sophomore/ junior year of High School for the top tier GLOs. I was shocked when I discovered that a girl I was talking to at a party was 16 years old and was pretty much locked into Chi Omega!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
I was shocked when I discovered that a girl I was talking to at a party was 16 years old and was pretty much locked into Chi Omega!
Ugh, that's so wrong. What parents are letting their 16-year-olds go to fraternity parties? And on the sorority side, how is that not considered dirty rushing of some sort?

And you DID walk away, right, PG?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Ugh, that's so wrong. What parents are letting their 16-year-olds go to fraternity parties? And on the sorority side, how is that not considered dirty rushing of some sort?
I find it hard to believe that any HS girl is "locked" into any sorority, even at 'Bama. The girl may think she has a guaranteed in, but anything can happen during her last two years in high school. Girls rushing her in two years might also remember her as "that 16 year old who went to frat parties."

I know that there are tons of desirable HS girls sororities already want to join their sisterhoods, but let's not kid ourselves here. That 16 year has no control whatsoever on whether or not she gets a bid from Chi Omega, let alone any sorority at 'Bama, two rushes from now.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

She wasn't the only one, there were at least 30 high school kids at Fiji Islander. The week before dead week is a big rush week for fraternities and sororities there to lock up high school kids. This particular girl had flown in from Houston, there were a lot of guys from out of state there. This is why Beta and Phi Psi tried to throw parties last weekend as well. She may not be guaranteed in but I can't imagine how good she'll look in two years... and yes NA, I walked away.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

haha, good man.

I don't think the girls come up here for the fraternity parties, but the guys often do to get bids.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
I just got back from there... rush starts sophomore/ junior year of High School for the top tier GLOs. I was shocked when I discovered that a girl I was talking to at a party was 16 years old and was pretty much locked into Chi Omega!

I don't even know what to say to this???

This is just so way out of what I know/have known. It is a shocker.

Can anyone share what have been some of the "so-called" top tiers for both fraternity and sorority life there over the last several years? (I don't want to start a huge debate, but I am curious) I find it VERY interesting and every bit of my curiosity is peaked.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 AM
GreekChat Member

SAE, Phi Gam, KA and DKE are Old Row, I think.

I'm pretty sure KD is up there for the girls, but don't know much about the sororities there.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your response^^

Anyone else have anything to add?

I would love to turn back time to experience their system and to see what actually occurs during recruitment.