GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,698
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, PriscillaT
» Online Users: 933
1 members and 932 guests
No Members online

Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush at UofA

Hi, I'm a current senior and I plan of rushing for a sorority at Bama, I was researching and found this website and some posts about how competitive recruitment is and I honestly had no idea what it required..

I don't know anybody in any sorority who could write me a recommendation other than my grandmother whose sorority dosen't have a chapter at Bama.

I don't know anybody at the school, I'm coming from out-of-state and it's part of why I want to join an org anyway, also I read somewhere about "hometown teas" and how most of the girls are high school friends and the members already have a pledge list before rush even begins!

I'm cute and sweet and I've got good grades but does that even matter? I don't want to sound negative but do I honestly stand a chance against these triple legacy kids? Thanks for any info!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course you do! Contact your local Alumnae Panhellenic chapter. They should be able to help you with the recs which really are important at Bama. As an out of stater, you may be at a disadvantage at some chapters, but if you go with an open mind, you will likely find a home. Most women who maximize their options do get a bid...even at Bama!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Unregistered-

Be sure to ask your teachers/parents' friends/women you know from church if they've ever been in a sorority. You may be surprised and find out that some women you see on a regular basis are indeed members of sororities.

Also check out www.npcwomen.org -- check out the Alumnae Panhellenic section and see if your hometown (or one close to you) has an Alumnae Panhellenic Chapter. This would be your best bet for securing recommendations for every sorority on campus.

Don't rule yourself out just because you lack the "connections" like the other PNMs. Sometimes connections help...sometimes they don't. Being a legacy doesn't guarantee the PNM a bid. Depending on the sorority, they're extended certain "courtesies," but that's pretty much it.

Start getting your recs now, read up on some of the 'Bama rush threads here, and be sure to read the Advice threads. Be sure to keep those grades up and remember to enjoy what's left of your senior year!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto OTW's advice regarding talking to lots of adults to find out who may be in a sorority and be able to help you.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Also, use your grandmother's contacts. Her sorority's alum association will probably have a panhellenic delegate to the alumnae panhellenic of their town and that delegate can put you in contact with panhellenic alumnae from sororities that do have chapters at Bama. Remember, recs only need to come from members of that sorority not, its not required that the rec come from someone from that chapter.

Good luck !!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

To reiterate what others have said -- ask everyone you can think of. I got a call the other day from my brother who lives in Georgia. His daughter's favorite babysitter is going through recruitment next year and is in the same boat as you are. My brother remembered that I was in some sorority, and asked if I'd help her out. Although I don't know her personally, anyone my sister-in-law has nice things to say about must be a great person.

Recs can be a 7 degree of separation thing, and you never know who can help you out.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I had an out of state daughter who rushed at Bama. Recs are extremely important!! Grades are extremely important. Also, keeping an open mind will be in your best interest. Don't listen to others opinions and don't believe everything you hear.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, it really won't look ridiculous if some random stranger writes me one? And if that, don't the recommendations only "count" with the sorority of the reference?

I'm actually more worried about walking into a house where they couldn't care to meet me because they already know who they'll extend a bid too...are these things true or is it exaggerated?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

an alumna can only write a recommendation to the sorority she is a member of. for instance, i am a zeta tau alpha. i can only write recommendations to chapters of ZTA, but i can write one to any ZTA chapter. my daughter goes to school at samford u. in birmingham. she is a member of the ZTA chapter there. last year she asked me to write a rec. for a good friend of hers who was going thru rush as a sophomore. because i am a member of ZTA i could do that.

because i have friends in lots of sororities, i was able to secure recs. for this young woman to the other sororities at samford. i spoke to the alumnae of the other sororities and based on my recommendation, the fact that i knew her and she was a good friend of my daughters and her wonderful resume, these ladies were happy to help her out. by the way, that girl is now one of my daughters little sisters!

if you can find one sorority alumna in your town, chances are that she will know women in other sororities who can help you out-most of us are glad to learn of a young woman who is rushing, and we want to help if we can. also, don't hesitate to contact hs friends who joined a sorority that has a chapter at bama. they might be willing to ask one of their alumnae advisors to write a letter of recommendation for you-in some cases,depending on the sorority, they can write a recommendation themselves.

if there is an alumnae panhellenic in your town, or nearby, they may hold some sort of informational gathering for hs girls in the spring. at some, they have collegians at nearby colleges come, and they explain the rush process. sometimes the alums will take resumes from the hs girls and write recs. for them. it won't matter that you are not planning on attending school in your home state-you could still attend the meeting.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

My advice for anyone planning on going through Bama Recruitment:

- You absolutely must have good grades! I don't know the minimums for all chapters on campus. I'll go out on a limb to say that if you don't have at least a 3.0 your choices will be limited right off the bat. The higher, the better.

- Make sure your resume is solid showing involvement in community service/philanthropy work, athletics, clubs, church groups, etc. Demonstraing leadership is also key through holding offices, organizing events or other ways. For a senior graduating this year it may be a bit late, but there is still some time. For HS juniors and younger, now is the time to be planning ahead.

- Recs are critical, especially for out of state women. Ask every woman in your life if she is Greek and/or if she knows other Greek women. Try your teachers, friends' mothers, women your parents work with, women who go to your church ... anyone you can think of. The sooner the better especially if you have never met these women. This gives the alum plenty of time to get to know you.

- Find out if there is an Alum Panhellenic Association in your area and contact them. They can help you secure recs. Also if there are any local recruitment teas planned in your area, they can help you secure an invitation.

- Contact the UA Greek Life office to sign up for the spring Panhellenic Weekend. It is scheduled this year for the weekend of 4/25-27. This is a time when HS seniors and their parents can visit the campus and get more information about being in a sorority. Most importantly you and your parents can visit each of the sororities to meet some of the members and learn about each particular chapter.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Contact the UA Greek Life office to sign up for the spring Panhellenic Weekend. It is scheduled this year for the weekend of 4/25-27. This is a time when HS seniors and their parents can visit the campus and get more information about being in a sorority. Most importantly you and your parents can visit each of the sororities to meet some of the members and learn about each particular chapter.
This is a great idea, and a wonderful opportunity. Here's the link: http://bama.ua.edu/~greeklif/
Generally, from what I remember, there's a Q/A assembly, and then groups walk around sorority row, visiting each house for 5 or 10 minutes. It's just enough for a quick look at the first floor. I highly encourage doing this, especially for parents who are none too sure about the whole sorority thing. They'll have a chance to ask questions and get familiar with campus layout.

Also, do seek out any alumnae panhellenic functions. Not all alumnae panhellenics are officially registered, so check your newspaper frequently for an announcement of an event. These are great for some one-on-one talk, for questions and for getting to know some of the sorority members - alumnae and collegiate - in your area. These groups usually collect information from you - you'll probably be asked to submit a resume or fill out a form. The information is then distributed to member greek groups for their use in writing recommendations.

And don't be shy about asking questions! Especially ask about how much it costs (which will vary by school), how much time it takes, how important academics are....even down to "which sororities are best."
Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

You all gave great advice above!^^
Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Also, I hope this is OK to mention--I see no one else has yet--but a new sorority, Alpha Phi, will be coming to Alabama in fall 2008. So hopefully that should help maximize your chances of receiving a bid! Even supposing you did not receive a bid during formal recruitment, you could take part in Alpha Phi's colonizing recruitment.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Also, I hope this is OK to mention--I see no one else has yet--but a new sorority, Alpha Phi, will be coming to Alabama in fall 2008. So hopefully that should help maximize your chances of receiving a bid! Even supposing you did not receive a bid during formal recruitment, you could take part in Alpha Phi's colonizing recruitment.
BG, do you or anyone else know how many PNMs went bidless at 'Bama last year?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
BG, do you or anyone else know how many PNMs went bidless at 'Bama last year?
I do not. Maybe some of the 'Bama people can fill us in.