GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 2,049
1 members and 2,048 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-28-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I like a French manicure

I've never had anything called an American manicure. My friend does nails so I'll ask her and report back. I enjoy gardening plus have two small children which is murder on anything fancy in the nail department.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2003, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Ok... I used to work at a salon and I get my nails done every 2 weeks.

Pink and White--- has to do with tips and acrylics/gels. The bed of the nail gets the normal, "clear" acrylic which makes your nails look pink (cuz they should naturally be pink). The white is a white acrylic that gets put at the tip. This makes it look like a french manicure, but there is no polish involved, except if you want clear to make it shinier.

American Manicure and French manicure--- French manicure uses a whiter, brighter color for the tip while American is a more natural looking white. Both look nice.

or you could try the newest style. If she knows what color she'll be wearing most of the week, let's say pink, she can get pink tips. Same as a French manicure, except pink (or whatever color) is used instead of the white. Looks awesome and very stylish!

And can I just say that I'm SOOO glad that I live up here? Looks aren't as important and it's ok to have non-colored, bitten nails.

KLTC
Old 06-28-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Fabulous advice everyone! Even if James doesn't know how to appreciate a good chat, I have very much enjoyed everyone's input. I think my daughter is having second thoughts about the tips, but is still thinking about colors. You've given her a lot to think about. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2003, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I was thinking the same thing about rush.

I decided to not get solar nails since I never wear them. Mainly because its too hard to keep up with it and they are bad for your nails. I decided to get a french manicure and then get like a red for my toe nails.

Now, however, I am debating over a french or american manicure. I had never even heard of the american manicure until now.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
Well one thing about the people saying don't get tips - just get a regular manicure: a regular won't last as long. The white paint will chip away quicker than an airbrushed tip will fall off. I got tips for recruitment, and they lasted me 2 or 3 weeks - and you can always go to a professional salon to get them to take them off so your naisl won't be messed up. When I got just a regular french manicure on my real nails for our formal, it only lasted 3 days.

The last thing she is going to want is something chipping off - so if you do chose to go the natural route, make sure to go by some white nail polish so she can touch up just in case.

Hahaha - having a french manicure for my recruitment was great. I always was asked "OH MY! BEAUTIFUL! WHERE DO YU GET YOUR NAILS DONE AND HOW OFTEN?!" I was like uhm, uh - I only get them done for special occasions? hahaha, I felt like such an idiot, but they didn't cut me! I guess those little things show just how much you want to impress everyone. (which I am sure makes them feel good that you want to impress them)
Old 06-29-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PNMsMom
Fabulous advice everyone! Even if James doesn't know how to appreciate a good chat, I have very much enjoyed everyone's input. I think my daughter is having second thoughts about the tips, but is still thinking about colors. You've given her a lot to think about. Thank you!
Oh no no - don't get colors!!! Having nicely groomed nails is one thing, but you don't want them to draw too much attention. I know that "trends" get started in other places besides the south, and we tend to lean more towards a classy look. If she is going to get her nails done please do french or american or what not - don't do colors!!!

My roomate during recruitment paints her's pink, and whe we were walking to one of her rounds one day - she relized she had pink nails with a RED outfit. She was mortified, and sadly got cut from all but 2 sororities after that day. I hate to say it, but some people are extremly picky - please please be careful about putting color on the nails!!!

We aren't even supposed to paint our nails.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXO Sweetheart
This is just my opinion... I don't go to a huge university with highly competitive rush, so I may be out of my realm here, but...

I certainly think it's important to look nice for rush, and she should look like she cares about it... Dressing nicely, having well-cared for nails, etc. are nice impressions to give. But who she is as a person is what really matters, and if a sorority is going to cut her or look down on her for painting her nails pale pink instead of getting a French manicure, I doubt either one of you want her in that sorority.

I guess I'm just afraid that all this emphasis on clothes, nails, etc. will have her nervous when it comes time for the important stuff; personality, etc. Just my two cents though.

I wish her the best of luck, I know I had a great time during recruitment, and I'm sure she will too.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Sweetheart

I guess I'm just afraid that all this emphasis on clothes, nails, etc. will have her nervous when it comes time for the important stuff; personality, etc. Just my two cents though.

I didn't consider it worrying about my nails and clothes. I thought it was nice. I never go and get my nails done - but my dad went ahead and gave me the okay to go get my nails done and get some new stuff for recruitment. It made *me* feel a lot more confident going through recruitment because I knew I looked cute.

Not having to worry about if my nails were clean or my clothes were cute helped me to present a confident image of myself. I think that is the point in wanting to do all the knit-picky stuff. Not to be in the most vein sorority - but you have to admit that when you feel like you look your best you present this glow about you.

Now, if I would have gone to rush and saw everyone's nails done but mine - everyone had new cute clothes except for me - I would have been more worried. I would have felt insecure about going to rounds because I would feel like I am not the cutest girl there. I know they(we) should only pick using your personality - but the same goes with men and woman in general - looks can attract someone, but your personality is the hook line and sinker. The image is just merely to get their attention.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by meridionaleDG
Well one thing about the people saying don't get tips - just get a regular manicure: a regular won't last as long. The white paint will chip away quicker than an airbrushed tip will fall off. I got tips for recruitment, and they lasted me 2 or 3 weeks - and you can always go to a professional salon to get them to take them off so your naisl won't be messed up. When I got just a regular french manicure on my real nails for our formal, it only lasted 3 days.

The last thing she is going to want is something chipping off - so if you do chose to go the natural route, make sure to go by some white nail polish so she can touch up just in case.
This is a very good point. I had acrylic nails very briefly, and the best thing about them was that the polish stayed on and looked good for 2 weeks. Nail polish never, ever lasts that long on my natural nails. If I got a manicure that needed to last a week, I'd probably get a pale color and buy a bottle to do touch-ups myself. It's also a good idea to put on top coat every day or every other day to help keep the polish from chipping.

I think that a color would look nice, as long as it will go with all of her outfits. I also would recommend NOT matching fingernails and toenails because that is considered tacky. The colors should compliment each other but not be the same.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AZpinkkittie
I'm a bad nail biter. I've been doing for as long as I can remeber and after several failed attempts at quitting, I've all but given up. For a wedding I went to last week, i got acrylics. I'd gotten them before for prom and hated them cuz they were too long and the paint chipped right off (since I wasn't used to having nails I wasn't as careful as I should have been, but they airbrushed on the white of the French manicure and it didn't hold up) so I was nervous about getting them again. I went to the salon my boyfriends mom goes to though, and the girl was amazing. She did what I guess is called a pink & white, and it looks great. It looks exactly like a french manicure but a bit more natural and will never chip because the white part is an acrylic that's underneath the pink acrylic. I was totally happy with the length to, I dio a lot with my hands and can't have them too long or they get in the way. Anyway, depending on how her nails look now, acrylics might be an alright choice. But I would agree with these girls and stay away from colors.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I'm a nail biter, too, and for the record, I successfully rushed with my mangled hands.

That said, I'm now waitressing for a living. THAT is murder on your nails. But, more importantly, my tips are a result of how I present myself... and clean & hygenic are good things to present.

I ended up getting acrylic nails for the first time EVER after I'd been waitressing for a few months, and love them. I don't have to mess with them for 2 weeks after they're done, and I get mine done short and with rounded tips. I tell myself they look natural.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uwwsweetie
Getting Nails Done

I am going to add my two cents also As someone who use to get my nails done on a VERY regular basis (i had them on at one point for an entire year) I am going to have to agree that getting tips or acrylics before Rush would be a bad Idea... unless you had them put on now and let her take the rest of the summer to get use to them. You don't want her to not be able to put her pants on because of her nails and you don't want to end up with a tech that makes them look horrible or doesnt secure them right so they fall off easily....
Your best bet would be to stay natural and just get a french manicure
Old 06-30-2003, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I HATE long nails. I just cannot keep them. They get on my nerves, get in my way, and I always end up scratching my babies at work with them. Therefore, they stay very short. I try to keep them nice looking, I either polish them clear or a natural beige or pink, and try to keep my hands looking nice. If you can't grow nails and don't want to mess with acrylics, just make sure your hand and nails look nice and polished. TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUTICLES so they don't look all torn and mangled. There's a really good Sally Hansen paraffin treatment that you can get for $5 at Wal Mart to take care of your hands, along with some cuticle cream that makes your nails look awesome. Also just keep them filed. Don't go with ragged nails, and that doesn't just apply for rush. Your hands often tell others how well you take care of yourself.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
What she said! I started getting them when I waitressed too!
I almost always do sheer frost color

OPI has some good sheer ones
http://www.opi.com/sheer.html

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
I'm a nail biter, too, and for the record, I successfully rushed with my mangled hands.

That said, I'm now waitressing for a living. THAT is murder on your nails. But, more importantly, my tips are a result of how I present myself... and clean & hygenic are good things to present.

I ended up getting acrylic nails for the first time EVER after I'd been waitressing for a few months, and love them. I don't have to mess with them for 2 weeks after they're done, and I get mine done short and with rounded tips. I tell myself they look natural.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I dont want to get acrylic nails.

What exactly are tips?? They are just the white tip that they put on your nails right? Well, that sounds like the solar nails I have had put on, put then they also put some other "stuff" on your nail- which is what I dont want.

Now, i dont know what i want to do!