GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,646
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, zalexitt5041
» Online Users: 1,624
1 members and 1,623 guests
flirt5721

Old 06-26-2003, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Manicure/Pedicure for Rush ???

OK, now let's get down to the details! What type of manicure would you recommend for a rushee? I personally don't have my nails done professionally, but my daughter wanted to do it for rush. She is going to be attending a large southwestern university.

She was talking about a French Manicure, but tonight the salon (OK, it was at Wal-Mart) said that something called "Pink & White" was better, but looked the same. Do you think one of these options, or a red or pink would be best? She'll need to be able to keep it thru six days of rush plus a day or two beforehand, so it's important that it match all her outfits including the pref night cocktail type black dress. Knowing my daughter, she'll want some cutsey airbrush design. Should she wait till after rush to add this?

Any tips on a pedicure?

Thank you everyone on these boards for being so warm and welcoming! You're fabulous!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Keep in mind that I go to a really small school where Recruitment is not all that competitive, but I think that french manicures are very classic and can match any outfit. But I have no clue what that pink and white thing is that you're talking about. I'm just a soccer player!

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 06-26-2003, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely recommend a French manicure. They look classy and will match anything she wears!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Not knowing where your daughter is rushing, or being very into the whole manicure scene, if I were she, I'd err on the conservative side.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I vote for the French manicure, too! Actually, from my understanding, the "pink and white" is basically a French manicure except that the nail color used is a pale pink instead of that peachy shade. At least, that's what I gathered from the last time I went to the nail salon.

However, as long as her nails are clean and filed, I don't really see that she has to have a manicure...but if it will make her feel a little more pulled-together, then by all means go for it.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to point out that if your daughter doesn't have her nails done on a regular basis (i'm talking about having acrylics or tips put on) she should not choose recruitment as the time to try it out. I got them done once, it was very difficult for me to do basic things- zip my jeans, write, type, dial a phone. You don't want her being uncomfortable during rush. Besides- the emphasis should be on who she is and how she fits in with that group of women- not how her nails look (and if me and my chewed upon nails can get in.......)
Best of luck!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Just my .02 cents, I would stick to the basic French manicure w/o the acrylic etc for reasons KDShan pointed out. Best of luck to your daughter.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
I like the pink and off white better than the white. White stands out way too much and seems unnatural while off white is out there. buy her new clothes and a Lily Pulitzer dress (I think I saw it was in the south, but if not dont listen to that)

I love any excuse for new clothes and love to offer up a reason for new clothes
Old 06-26-2003, 11:43 PM

Can I just say, 'whoa'. I'm from a Northern School, with a very small greek community...I can't belive people in the South think that much into this stuff.
But allow me to put my two cents in...I get a manicure/pedicure done constantly, because of track. So I think the pink and white french looks better...sometime I like to get a little silver line between the white and pink, just to spice it a little bit. But it still looks very conservative...and as stated, it will match with anything. or perhaps a very pale pink, or pearlized color.

Good Luck to her!!

EDITED TO DAY: Please don't think my introductory line was making fun of the South...its just from all these rush threads, I can't believe how cut throat and detailed oriented recruitment is below the mason-dixon line!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:43 PM

PNMM - I PM'd you
Old 06-26-2003, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

BlazerCheer will be getting one for recruitment just on the grounds that it should make her feel more confident! Her sister has advised her to get an American manicure but I can't tell the difference between that and a French one.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
BlazerCheer will be getting one for recruitment just on the grounds that it should make her feel more confident! Her sister has advised her to get an American manicure but I can't tell the difference between that and a French one.
Good grief, believe it or not I know this. It was in a makeup book I got printed by British Vogue. The French uses peachy or pinky polish and the American uses natural colored polish - this makes the white tips stand out more than the French manicure.

PNMM, if she's not used to acrylics, she can still get a nice manicure for her natural nails. If they use a pale color (Essie & OPI both have lots and lots of nice ones) it will look just as pretty. No cutesy airbrush. I know French manicures go with everything, but I personally am kinda tired of them.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Definitely a pink and white french manicure....I would get tips a week or so before so she can get used to them. If you do an airbrush, make sure it is conservative

I get my nails done all the time and I usually have them airbrushed

right now my design is something like this

Last edited by Jill1228; 06-27-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
OMG

This thread has me CTFU!

Thank you for the comic relief. I needed the break!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Hey man, don't be dissing my nails!
]
Quote:
Originally posted by James
OMG

This thread has me CTFU!

Thank you for the comic relief. I needed the break!