GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,162
1 members and 1,161 guests
SigmaChiCard

Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We did "Kapparet" either my junior or senior year or both. It was a fun skit.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

AIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I knew it would happen! Auburn rush starts in 9 days and this morning I got a call telling me that this precious, precious girl we know is going to Auburn and her mom thought that "get a rec" meant getting 1 sorority member to recommend you to the whole Greek system. I now have *less than a week* to get recs for everyone except Phi Mu, the only one she's gotten.

I'll do my best--she's the kind anyone would be proud to see in their letters--but @@##!!! I hope she hasn't already been pre-cut for lack of a rec.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, this unprepared girl has 4 recs through the Carnation Nation alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation
AIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I knew it would happen! Auburn rush starts in 9 days and this morning I got a call telling me that this precious, precious girl we know is going to Auburn and her mom thought that "get a rec" meant getting 1 sorority member to recommend you to the whole Greek system. I now have *less than a week* to get recs for everyone except Phi Mu, the only one she's gotten.

I'll do my best--she's the kind anyone would be proud to see in their letters--but @@##!!! I hope she hasn't already been pre-cut for lack of a rec.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Normally, yes, but 4 of the girls are out of town and we're chasing down another Chi O as I speak because it takes 2 Chi O signatures on a rec and Ballerina is in Athens. So is our Zeta. So are our AOIIS but 3 of our nieces are AOIIs so I'm gonna run down the street with this--they've known the girl all their lives.

I've called women from several sororities since I wrote this and of course, got all answering machines since this is the week before school starts. I don't *believe* this! This happens every year!
Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

How dare they take vacation/be out of town when they are most needed!? Believe it or not, we hear that regarding swim team families who don't stay home in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation
Normally, yes, but 4 of the girls are out of town and we're chasing down another Chi O as I speak because it takes 2 Chi O signatures on a rec and Ballerina is in Athens. So is our Zeta. So are our AOIIS but 3 of our nieces are AOIIs so I'm gonna run down the street with this--they've known the girl all their lives.

I've called women from several sororities since I wrote this and of course, got all answering machines since this is the week before school starts. I don't *believe* this! This happens every year!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, change that to 5 PNMs I'll know at Auburn with 3 of them being legacies. I hope they'll update me daily! Here's the info for PNMs on the Auburn website:

Ice Water Teas
Day 1 and 2
WHAT TO EXPECT: There are sixteen sororities participating in Ice Water Teas. Potential members will visit each one for 25 minutes over a period of two days. The purpose of thiround is to introduce you to the Greek community. One woman will meet you at the door and serve as your hostess. You may feel a little overwhelmed, but don't be intimidated. These two days are high energy and include loud music, clapping, and cheering. Each sorority has something unique and wonderful to offer, so be sure to approach each one withan open mind.
WHAT TO WEAR: You should dress casually and comfortably. Wear clothing that is suitable for hot weather, such as a sundress, skirt, or capri pants. While it is important for you to be comfortable, t-shirt and shorts are a no-no. You will be outside in the sun between parties, so lightweight fabrics are a good choice. You will walk between parties, so wear comfortable shoes or bring some for between parties. Click on any of these pictures for a better look.

Philanthropy Day
Day 3 and 4
WHAT TO EXPECT: Philanthropy and community service are an important aspect of each sorority and Auburn Panhellenic. For this round, potential members will visit up to twelve sororities. These parties will be spread over two days as well and last for 35 minutes each. At each one you visit, you will work on projects that pertain to that sorority's philanthropy. The sororities then donate the completed projects to their philanthropies. You will learn about the sorority in a fun and interactive way as well as contribute to the community. This round will give you a chance to have more in-depth conversations about each sorority.
WHAT TO WEAR: To add to the fun of these days, the dress is casual and comfortable. Casual shorts or skirts that are comfortable to sit on the floor in will be appropriate. Panhellenic will provide you with a t-shirt to wear for this round. Your Pi Chi will give you your t-shirt when you arrive for recruitment. If you would like any additional shirts, there is a place to order them on the recruitment registration form. This round is a great opportunity to wear tennis shoes or casual sandals. The color and design of the 2006 shirt have not yet been set. Click on any of these pictures for a better look.

Skit Day
Day 5
WHAT TO EXPECT: The entertainment atmosphere of this round makes it a favorite part of recruitment. You may visit as many as six sororities on this day for 55 minutes each. Your hostess will introduce you to other members of the chapter. The sororities will continue to reveal their individual personalities with skits and presentations. The sororities may show you about their involvement on campus and in Greek life. Since this is the last day before preferentials, you should start thinking about the sororities in which you feel the most comfortable.
WHAT TO WEAR: A dress suitable for church or a nice dinner is recommended. most women choose to dress up their look a little more for this round. Click on any of these pictures for a better look.

Preference Day
Day 6
WHAT TO EXPECT: The preferential round is the most serious round of recruitment. Potential members visit up to 3 sororities for one hour each. At each one, she may be greeted by someone who has been special to her during the week. This round can be the most emotional because the potential member is deciding which sorority she would most like to join. Parties are serious and subdued. Think back on the previous rounds and recall what you liked best about each sorority. The most important thing is to be sure you base your decision on your own feelings, not the feelings of family members, friends, or those in your recruitment group.
WHAT TO WEAR: This round is the dressiest of them all. A dress you might wear to formal church or a wedding reception would be appropriate. As you can see in the pictures, many people choose to wear something black. But, colors other than black are also appropriate and commonly worn. Formal gowns are not appropriate. If you are comfortable in heels, you may wish to wear them since you will only be going to three parties. If you want to wear hose, this might be the day to do it although they are certainly not required (It will be August in Alabama!). Click on any of these pictures for a better look.

Bid Day

Day 7
WHAT TO EXPECT: Bids will be distributed at 3 p.m. at the Graves Amphitheatre, across Samford Avenue from the Hill residence halls. All potential members receiving bids will gather at the amphitheater and be given a printed invitation to the sorority she has received a bid from. A potential member can only receive one bid. Then, she decides whether or not to take it. Those who accept their bids will proceed to the chapter room of their new sorority where they will be welcomed by their new sisters with open arms. Each chapter will hold a reception for the new members and their family members who choose to attend. Each new member will be greeted by a member who will host her as her 'big sister' for the rest of the day's activities. The new members will be expected to return to the chapter room later that afternoon in order to spend time with their new sisters and become better acquainted with their fellow new members.
WHAT TO WEAR: There is no specified dress for the day. Most potential members choose to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Once a new member receives her bid, she will be given a t-shirt from her new sorority. The new members then change into their new shirts. So be sure to wear shorts or a skirt that can go with anything. You will be in A LOT of pictures with your new sisters, so be prepared to smile, smile, smile! Also, many sororities have a members-only "formal pinning" ceremony on the evening of Bid Day. It is at this ceremony that you are given your new member pin. Many sororities require that the new members wear a white dress to this occasion. So, it's a good idea to bring one with you to Auburn. It doesn't have to be pretty or cost a fortune. As long as it is white, it will do. Many sororities also require that the white dress be worn to the initiation ceremony held a few weeks later, so you will wear it at least twice a year.

Last edited by carnation; 07-30-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

"So, it's a good idea to bring one with you to Auburn. It doesn't have to be pretty or cost a fortune. As long as it is white, it will do. Many sororities also require that the white dress be worn to the initiation ceremony held a few weeks later, so you will wear it at least twice a year."

Definitely a good year to find that white dress! My daughter found one yesterday dirt cheap at Ann Taylor. Don't know what we were thinking, now we need to find one for daughter #2, who needs it for graduation next spring. I'm sure since they were all the rage this year, there won't be a white dress to be found next year. The year before my daughter graduated, a lot of girls ended up getting white tank tops and white skirts because they couldn't find a white dress in the store. Hard to remember after shopping this year--couldn't find anything BUT a white dress.

Every sorority member needs a white dress and a black dress...it will always come in handy!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Good luck to everyone rushing at the SEC schools! I'll have my fingers and toes crossed for everyone.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 AM

I was just looking at U of Illinois' recruitment site, and DZ claims that both Courteney Cox and Meg Ryan are famous alumnae. I wish the web sites and recruitment materials wouldn't even have a space for famous alumnae. Meg Ryan went to NYU. DZ's chapter there closed in 1969, and Meg was born in 1961. Hmmm...

And I'm not trying to pick on the DZs. I was visiting the UGA campus years ago and the AOII recruitment materials claimed, you guessed it, Sandra Day O'Connor as a famous alumna.

Why deceive PNMs with information that is totally irrelevant anyway? Sell them on the members in your chapter, not famous people they will never meet, or worse, are not members of your organization at all.

I know this has nothing to do with SEC recruitment, but it's just a follow-up to the Auburn post.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue
Definitely a good year to find that white dress! My daughter found one yesterday dirt cheap at Ann Taylor. Every sorority member needs a white dress and a black dress...it will always come in handy!
I'm positive I have that exact same white dress from Ann Taylor! I love it!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes
Why deceive PNMs with information that is totally irrelevant anyway? Sell them on the members in your chapter, not famous people they will never meet, or worse, are not members of your organization at all.

I know this has nothing to do with SEC recruitment, but it's just a follow-up to the Auburn post.
Like I said, I think that people with those names really do exist in the sorority. Someone found it in the directory, passed the info on, and no one ever thought to check it (or realize that even if "Meg Ryan" is in a group, the movie star's real name isn't that). I don't think it's purposely trying to be deceitful, just a huge case of naivete.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Banned

I still sometimes see the myth that the wife of the former CEO of Hallmark is a Zeta (hence the five-pointed crown) on some ZTA collegiate websites. From what I've been told, it's untrue.

A google search of "Hallmark ZTA" will turn up quite a few of these websites.

There was also a rumor going around that Delta Burke is a Zeta. Again, untrue. Again, if you do a google search of "Delta Burke ZTA" you'll find a number of sites with that as well.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

i'll never forget on year during greekweek, two different sororities at fsu were claiming farrah fawcett as a famous member-it was incorporated into both their lawn decorations.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta
i'll never forget on year during greekweek, two different sororities at fsu were claiming farrah fawcett as a famous member-it was incorporated into both their lawn decorations.
Wasn't she a Tri-Delta pledge who never was initiated?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, my family knew someone who was in the chapter with her.