GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,553
1 members and 1,552 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
This is where I think you might be surprise to know what is was like to be the average white person.
No, I won't. I already know.

If you don't juice your white privilege for what's it worth for whatever reasons, that's on you and I don't make it by business to account for every exception. My initial post stated that across social contexts, you have white privilege. Point blank. Being well connected isn't just about being in upper class social networks. Working class whites have used their networks/social capital to get ahead for generations. They've also used these networks to create a racialized split labor market and exclude blacks and women.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 11-17-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Are you telling me that there's not a single guy on your campus who attending high school with one of you, took advanced classes, has college educated parents, is affluent, and with the one exception of all the clubs he and his family haven't been invited to join simply because they aren't white, is pretty much like you all? Or are you looking at membership in the most exclusive clubs, rather than character, as your primary membership criterion?
Hahahaha, I really don't know what to say to this. No...our fraternity only accepts guys that are members of country clubs. Are you serious with this? For the third time...WE EXTEND BIDS TO GUYS THAT SHARE OUR COMMON INTERESTS AND ARE LIKE MINDED. I went to High School with plenty of Black guys and such who took hard classes, had college educated parents, were affluent, etc........did we have anything in common.....not really....other than that we played sports together...and saw each other at paties every now and then.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i am in no way a cheerleader for pi kappa alpha at fsu, however, you are gravely mistaken when you say that pike is not a top chapter at fsu. they have the athletes, the movers and shakers, the faces, have the most members, have the alumni support, the largest house, have the largest pledge class,etc. i believe that they won a top award at the fraternity's most recent convention. in my estimation, that qualifies them as a top chapter.
Winning top awards from the nationals is the death knell. When you consider having the athletes (no suprise) as a good thing, there is another. Either way, it's florida, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 11-17-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to college in California, so I won't bother trying to compare greek life on my campus with that of the south other than to say that all of the chapters on my campus were very racially diverse and NPHC did not even exist at my school.

But, I have a question for the southerners, purely out of curiosity. Is the segregation (self-selected or otherwise) limited to just blacks vs. whites, or are there other racial minorities that are also excluded (or exclude themselves) from NPC/NIC recruitment? For example, in Calif. many chapters have white, black, asian and hispanic members. If an asian or hispanic were to go through recruitment at your school, would he/she receive the same treatment as an african american?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I went to college in California, so I won't bother trying to compare greek life on my campus with that of the south other than to say that all of the chapters on my campus were very racially diverse and NPHC did not even exist at my school.

But, I have a question for the southerners, purely out of curiosity. Is the segregation (self-selected or otherwise) limited to just blacks vs. whites, or are there other racial minorities that are also excluded (or exclude themselves) from NPC/NIC recruitment? For example, in Calif. many chapters have white, black, asian and hispanic members. If an asian or hispanic were to go through recruitment at your school, would he/she receive the same treatment as an african american?
I would love to know the answers to these as well- and I would like to add a question that I asked previously that has not been addressed, does religion matter?

And my last two questions- ElephantWalk- what makes a "top tier" chapter? I is purely tradition? Or what makes a chapter top tier if it is not size, national respect, visible members (such as athletes)? And why is having athletes a bad thing?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

elephant walk and macallen,will you tell me what constitutes as a top chapter on your campus?

and elephant walk, arkansas does matter?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

We had 25-27 IFC fraternities on my campus, and at any given time I could count the minorities in them on one hand. Usually using one or two fingers. Hope that answers your questions.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU, to be fair, Arkansas is a classic southern type school. FSU is not. I'm no fan of Arkansas, but from what I know their greek system is decent.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Having the most pledges...doesn't make you a top chapter on a campus in any way...
I think this is arguable. Sorry, but bad chapters don't usually get large pledge classes, let alone the biggest on campus. I think your take on this example demonstrates that "top" is very subjective.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

would you please list what criteria determines a campus as classically southern?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, Mac, what we would consider the top chapters on campus are probably a little different from what some people on here would like. We should probably tone it down, or else they might want to infiltrate whats left of classic southern collegiate life.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU: History, tradition, well dressed, well mannered students...filled with students from conservative "old money" families...values such as patriotism, faith, family...a general lack of vodka and prevalence of bourbon...substantially less hair gel and import cars than the rest of the nation...pearl-wearing girls...I'm sure theres more.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
We had 25-27 IFC fraternities on my campus, and at any given time I could count the minorities in them on one hand. Usually using one or two fingers. Hope that answers your questions.
So then, you assume that you could not have anything in common (or the same interests?!) with blacks, asians, hispanics or other minorities? What if you went to high school with the person, played on the same sports team, hung out with the same friends, your parents worked together, etc.?

My point is I think one could argue that in fact the only thing you might NOT have in common with some people in these minorities is race.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Seriously, we're all aware that there are minorities who share things in common with us. We're not assuming anything. They don't rush. Pay attention to that, in my 4 years of college, do you know how many times a minority student came to our house during rush? Zero. Not once. Also, the simple fact that somewhere out in the world there are minorities who are similar to us doesn't mean they're around at school. I met one black kid like us in undergrad. One. Its like people expect us to do some minority recruitment drive. Diversity for the sake of diversity is a stupid, stupid idea. I'm from GA, and there are guys in my fraternity from Texas, Tennessee, SC, Charlotte, etc...See, we're diverse.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not suggesting some sort of special recruiting, merely saying that I think it's a shame if minorities either don't rush or get cut from rush just because of race. Especially if some of those folks could be superb brothers/sisters.

Last edited by PeppyGPhiB; 11-17-2006 at 03:11 PM.