GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,548
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, smarthome78

Old 09-15-2022, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

To say that I am heartbroken is an understatement.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2022, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I recorded the program on DVR last night and just finished watching. I think the documentary did a great job of being transparent, balanced and objective. The director didn't focus only on GLOs. One of the main story lines was the Florida A&M Band hazing death. The director also focused heavily on his own fraternity and his own participation in hazing others. He was truthful and sincere in his efforts.

The part of the film that got me was the adult son of Kristin High bursting into sobs of grief while his aunt was giving a speech about his mom.

Do watch the film if you have a chance.
I remember the night it happened. I'm in San Francisco. I got word the same night it happened via the greek grapevine.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I never knew one of those girls who died in the ocean had a child. How absolutely horrific. I also choked up when he was crying at the ceremony.

I hope this wakes people up! This show isn’t even about the “gray areas” of hazing- this is straight up stuff that can kill or seriously injure people. It has no place in any law abiding, values promoting organization.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't watched it yet, but for anyone like me who only uses the internet and streaming services, you can catch it here: https://www.pbs.org/video/hazing-uiisvk/

@~/~~~~
Old 09-17-2022, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thoughful programs such as this one make me glad I subscribe to public television.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 09-18-2022 at 11:57 AM. Reason: verb tense
Old 09-17-2022, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I never knew one of those girls who died in the ocean had a child. How absolutely horrific. I also choked up when he was crying at the ceremony.

I hope this wakes people up! This show isn’t even about the “gray areas” of hazing- this is straight up stuff that can kill or seriously injure people. It has no place in any law abiding, values promoting organization.

Seriously, how hard is it to not do something that will cause legal problems or harm someone?

p a w e a since 1899
Old 09-18-2022, 01:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I haven't watched it yet, but for anyone like me who only uses the internet and streaming services, you can catch it here: https://www.pbs.org/video/hazing-uiisvk/
Thanks for posting this. I hope to check it out sometime this week.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-25-2023, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping cause I just saw this again.

FYI they do mention non Greek hazing, specifically the marching band death at that school in Florida. That was tough to watch, but I’m glad they included it. People always ask why people don’t just walk away when it’s Greek life, but what about a case like that, or athletics, where your main purpose in college and/or funding is tied up in that membership?

He focused pretty heavily on the NPHC process, which, according to Byron Hurt was less about binge drinking and more about activities that defined one’s role as a young man entering manhood. I’ve heard this brought up on GC before- that often men are seeking a “process” more so than women- kind of a baptism by fire. It was interesting to hear the men speak on their process and what it means to become a man and how you’d accomplish that without hazing.

Probably what hit home to me was when he said that if people had to be really honest, they’d have to face the fact that they did a lot of that stuff for nothing- that it didn’t really matter in the end. That’s a tough pill to swallow in life, but I can definitely relate. Some of the hardest things I’ve fought for in the military and professionally, years later, looking back, I’ve felt that same way…even though I would have literally given anything for it in that moment.

It’s probably the most gut level honest thing I’ve ever watched on hazing. It’s really, truly well done.