GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,578
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, PatriciaSc
» Online Users: 2,073
2 members and 2,071 guests
PatriciaSc, Xidelt

Old 09-15-2006, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Is 885 a normal number for Ole Miss? For some reason it seems a bit low.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

The past two years have been around that number. The number might be lower a little bit then in previous years because they had a grade requirement of a 2.5 to sign up for recruitment this year. This requirement will help all of the houses with GPAs and I think it will allow a PNM who might have a low GPA to work on her GPA and either find a sorority who is doing COR in the Spring or go through as a sophomore.

ETA: Last year I think there were 840 who went through

ETA: Enrollment for freshmen women is up big time too so this might be why there are 45 more girls signed up this year.

ETA: Quota was 84 I believe last year

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 09-15-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

typically,how successful are sophomores rushing at ole miss?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
The past two years have been around that number. The number might be lower a little bit then in previous years because they had a grade requirement of a 2.5 to sign up for recruitment this year.
A kid can get admitted to Ole Miss, the flagship school of Mississippi that I assume would take the best and brightest of the state, with a 2.5????
Old 09-15-2006, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
A kid can get admitted to Ole Miss, the flagship school of Mississippi that I assume would take the best and brightest of the state, with a 2.5????
Sports?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes you could have a 2.5 with like a 23 ACT and get into Ole Miss. They sort of use a sliding scale. Apparently the state of MS really cannot deny anyone entry into a public university, relating to the Ayers Case I think, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the Ayers Case....

Sophomores have a good chance I would say, especially if they have a high GPA, lots of involvement, and they know lots of girls already in houses!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Huh? I thought the Ayers settlement allocated funding to historically black colleges in MS. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Ole Miss' admission standards. (Or, apparently, lack thereof.)
Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekalum View Post
Huh? I thought the Ayers settlement allocated funding to historically black colleges in MS. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Ole Miss' admission standards. (Or, apparently, lack thereof.)
Even if a high school student meets the minimum GPA necessary for admission, it does not mean the university is required to admit her/him. Many private universities, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford, do not have minimum GPA requirements. Yet no one says that someone with a 1.0 high school GPA would/should be admitted to Harvard. Other factors are taken into consideration. I am sure the same is true with Ole Miss.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still kind of shocked that a 2.5 gpa requirement would be cited as a reason why recruitment numbers would be lower this year than years previous. Is that type of gpa THAT common at Ole Miss?

Even if the numbers were lower than in past years, is there something wrong with quota being under 80? As someone from a pledge class of about 25 (which was normal at my Univ.), I can't imagine trying to bond with a pledge class 3-4 times the size, or a chapter of 300 women. It boggles my mind!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I'm still kind of shocked that a 2.5 gpa requirement would be cited as a reason why recruitment numbers would be lower this year than years previous. Is that type of gpa THAT common at Ole Miss?

Even if the numbers were lower than in past years, is there something wrong with quota being under 80? As someone from a pledge class of about 25 (which was normal at my Univ.), I can't imagine trying to bond with a pledge class 3-4 times the size, or a chapter of 300 women. It boggles my mind!
Ole Miss is a very good university but we are no Vanderbilt or say UGA, as compared to other SEC schools. We have a nationally ranked Honors College and other great programs. Anyway, 2.5's can be common especially for out of state students. Many TX, LA, and GA kids come here because they were not able to get their "Tops" or "Hope" scholarships. (LA started there scholarships a couple of years ago.) Therefore, you will see lower grades with students here as opposed to Vanderbilt or UGA. Many of these kids will transfer to UGA or LSU after a couple of years of getting their grades up at Ole Miss.

I was always told that the Ayers case did play a part into creating a sense that no student is denied entrance into any public university in the state of MS.

I don't think any house on campus would be upset if our new member classes were smaller. Yes the houses at Ole Miss are larger but there is still sisterhood and the traditions/rituals of each group are stilled fufilled.

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 09-15-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

No, what Ayers said was that Mississippi could not use ONLY SAT/ACT scores to deny entry to their public institutions. They can still have admissions standards, they just can't base admissions solely on SAT/ACT.