GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,571
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, agelaspetrovy45
» Online Users: 2,515
2 members and 2,513 guests
LaneSig, Loyally Kappa
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 05:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalkoen View Post
I'm in a fraternity in Belgium. As pledges, you have to do usual things (as considered here)troughout the whole year, such as: being called in the middle of the night to bring beer to the house etc..
The last day of our existence as a pledge, they put us outside (in a forrest), in the cold (32F°) for more then 14 hours. Most of the time you were alone, sometimes together with the other pledges. Every 15 min. they threw a bucket of icecold water on us. We had to eat dirty things (a lot of insects, dog and cat food, and a lot of other disgusting mixtures), and when you had to vomit, you had to do it on an other pledge.
Being pied on was a reward, it was like a nice hot shower, never in my life I've had so cold.
That was for sure the worst day of my life, but it made our group of pledges stronger, it creates a stronger band between the pledges. It helps to establish strong friendships, and I think that's what a lot of person seek in their fraternity, friendships for life.
Hi, i'm new.
Actually, I'm a pledge brother of his. What he said was mostly true but he did leave out some remarkable and interesting details.

Firstly, your year as a pledge mostly consists of binge drinking, since being able to withstand the booze to some point shows you're capable of representing the colors of the fraternity. While highly scary at first, you'd adapted mid-year or so to the tempo of drinking.

Secondly, basically until november we were not pledges, we were feuten (compare it to rushees) At the end of november, we had a 2day trial to become pledges. The first day was selling roses to raise money, at the end of that day we had our bierdoop, (loosly translated: trial of beer) sadly we didnt see any beer that night. We were filled with gin, vodka and porto (glases full of them, disgusting). The next day, utterly hungover, we were brought to a place in the woods where like he said, we mostly drank disgusting stuff and vomited a lot, were glad when someone peed on us, and often lay in a pool filled with puke.

You may be surprised to hear that all the vomiting and eating bugs or mice feutuses (yep, them too) was by far the least of our worries that day. We were wet constantly and ice cold, we sat outside for over 12 hours and we just didn't give a damn about the drinks or the food, you were exhausted and wanted to go inside, you wanted to quit. Just that damn cold. But none of the 12 people that had to go through all of it, quit.

I know it sounds goushy and mellow but you don't forget that, you know ? I'll never forget that day and i'll never forget the people that got me through it. It was the biggest test of character I've had up to this day and I'm quite frankly still highly surprised I made it through.

I'm not saying this is a great way to inaugurate your newest members (which btw it wasnt but that would make my story about 3 pages long) but you do create a bond right from the start
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiboy1946 View Post
Hi, i'm new.
Actually, I'm a pledge brother of his. What he said was mostly true but he did leave out some remarkable and interesting details.

Firstly, your year as a pledge mostly consists of binge drinking, since being able to withstand the booze to some point shows you're capable of representing the colors of the fraternity. While highly scary at first, you'd adapted mid-year or so to the tempo of drinking.

Secondly, basically until november we were not pledges, we were feuten (compare it to rushees) At the end of november, we had a 2day trial to become pledges. The first day was selling roses to raise money, at the end of that day we had our bierdoop, (loosly translated: trial of beer) sadly we didnt see any beer that night. We were filled with gin, vodka and porto (glases full of them, disgusting). The next day, utterly hungover, we were brought to a place in the woods where like he said, we mostly drank disgusting stuff and vomited a lot, were glad when someone peed on us, and often lay in a pool filled with puke.

You may be surprised to hear that all the vomiting and eating bugs or mice feutuses (yep, them too) was by far the least of our worries that day. We were wet constantly and ice cold, we sat outside for over 12 hours and we just didn't give a damn about the drinks or the food, you were exhausted and wanted to go inside, you wanted to quit. Just that damn cold. But none of the 12 people that had to go through all of it, quit.

I know it sounds goushy and mellow but you don't forget that, you know ? I'll never forget that day and i'll never forget the people that got me through it. It was the biggest test of character I've had up to this day and I'm quite frankly still highly surprised I made it through.

I'm not saying this is a great way to inaugurate your newest members (which btw it wasnt but that would make my story about 3 pages long) but you do create a bond right from the start
Yea, you're right... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't forget the day I almost died, either.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We were wet constantly and ice cold
TWSS.

Sorry.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We were wet constantly and ice cold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
TWSS.
Did she really? Someone is doing something wrong lol

Old 07-30-2010, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you are completely right
I was being ambiguous, a perfect example of innuendo.
Not a reference to the buckets of water thrown on us, we were just utterly horny.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not a reference to the buckets of water thrown on us, we were just utterly horny.
No one was talking to you. Shut up.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A) You're bad at getting a joke.
B) Go back to your "getting peed on" party. Since it's so bonding and all.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

A) sarcasm apparently doesn't come across quite well on the web, or you're simply not familiar with the concept
B) i thought this was a thread about hazing, since when is sharing a story about that looked down upon ?

ps
I quite realize nobody was talking to me, but since someone replied on my post, I thought I should have the decency to give him an answer.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A) sarcasm apparently doesn't come across quite well on the web, or you're simply not familiar with the concept
B) i thought this was a thread about hazing, since when is sharing a story about that looked down upon ?

ps
I quite realize nobody was talking to me, but since someone replied on my post, I thought I should have the decency to give him an answer.
You taking a *sarcastic* comment seriously = US not being familiar with the concept of sarcasm?

Shut up.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

ps
You answered something no one was asking.

Outside of a kink watersports site, being proud about being peed on is generally looked down upon within society as a whole.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I can honestly say that our chapter does not haze. I've heard some stories from girls I know in other sororities though.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's all remember that hazing is ILLEGAL!! If I had ever been hazed I would have been out of there sooo fast. There are rumors of other fraternities and sororities on my campus hazing but my chapter does not. As "new members" (aka pledges) we are treated very well. If we go out to eat with an initiated member she is supposed to pick up the bill (if it's under a certain amount) and so on and so forth.

Why do other organizations feel the need to haze? I have always wondered that. If you are supposed to be bonded as brothers/sisters hazing would seem a moot point? I think that it's the ritual that you share that bonds you together, not the shared experiences of being treated horribly.

That's just my two cents, I'll get off my soapbox now...
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It's kind of amazing when you think about it. I thought I had developed lifelong friendships and relationships with several friends of mine. I thought I had real bonds with them, both sorority sisters and friends from elementary school/high school. Now I come to find out that I couldn't possibly have a strong bond with them because we've never vomited or urinated on each other? That all these strong friendships I've developed are a farce? Because apparently vomiting and urinating on someone is required to have a strong bond them? I'm crushed.
If you and I pledged together I would pee on you first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If either of you serve me vodka and dairy I can vomit on you and you can be some of the extremely chosen few, of the chosen few.
You can have the vomit first?

These bonds, can't break 'em.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearADPi View Post
As "new members" (aka pledges) we are treated very well. If we go out to eat with an initiated member she is supposed to pick up the bill (if it's under a certain amount) and so on and so forth.
That's a really good way to create divisions between NMs and initiated sisters, and to make the NM feel obligated to the sister. Have you all never heard of the concept of separate checks?

Yes, I'm nitpicking, but to make such a rule in the first place is the silly thing.

It would be nice to think that going through a ritual creates an instant bond, but the truth is, that's not usually the case.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
If you and I pledged together I would pee on you first.
That's sisterhood right there.