GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,596
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, hannahyanexto75
» Online Users: 1,786
1 members and 1,785 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Southern California Recruitment

Recruitment has been completed at the University of Southern California. At this moment the new members are at the chapter houses celebrating with their new sisters.

Does anyone have any information regarding numbers of pnms who signed up for recruitment? I have checked the Panhellenic website and there is no information posted at this time.

Last year all the sororities made quota or above. Let us hope it will be another successful recruitment, especially since there is a new GLO on campus.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

We have at least one USC active on this board. Hopefully she will post.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Fight on! My oldest daughter, who is a graduate said that she heard that over 900 women were rushing. I really would love some info as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

From Facebook stalking my friends (when you grow up in SoCal it seems like just about everybody and their mother...literally...goes/went to USC) it looks like ADPi got 58, DG got 60 and Kappa got high 50s. This is just from me counting faces in the bid day pics so that could easily be horribly wrong...could have double counted, skipped a row, etc. Kappa had really cute shirts...the shirts the actives wore said "Go Kappa" and the new member's shirts said "Went Kappa". None of the people I've talked to know what quota is, which seems very strange but probably just means there were a lot of quota additions for those chapters. My friends from those three chapters said the famous "we got everybody that we really wanted!" so it seems like all the chapters did well. Oh, no idea about how Gamma Phi did in numbers but I did see pictures of my friends and it looks like they had kind of a 70s/jukebox/music theme which was really cute.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Here you are: http://www.npcbruins.com/page.php?pa...&page_id=19712
Looks like you had better get moving NOW!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Here you are: http://www.npcbruins.com/page.php?pa...&page_id=19712
Looks like you had better get moving NOW!

This one belongs in the UCLA post, not the USC post
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Anna,
Our very tired advisor wrote after Bid Night that quota was 60 and Tri Delta had 64 new members. That number has not been confirmed by Panhellenic. Also, I heard the unofficial number of pnms was 850. Freshmen women at SC number roughly about 1350+, so a large percentage of those signed up with Panhellenic.
Invitational parties were down to five parties and then two for preference. I read from an SC board many girls dropped
out that night. A parent wrote nearly half the girls on his daughter's floor dropped out of recruitment.

...just received a call from an Atlanta woman who is a happy member of Gamma Phi Beta. She told me Gamma Phi had 64 new members!

Last edited by Football Fan; 09-03-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

From talking to my friends it seems like a lot of girls drop out of recruitment at SC...it seems to be the quintessential type of recruitment we can't stand on GC where the overwhelming majority of women decide they only want to be in part of certain sororities from the onset (not you necessarily Trojan01). Although I would be shocked if being a sophomore seemed to hurt you...my friend in XYZ today (which is seen as extremely strong) said that about a third of their pledge class is sophomores.

Growing up where I was from (Southern California) there were certain sororities that it just seemed like "everybody" was a part of and many of my friends who went through SC recruitment only focused on those. What many PNMs don't realize about USC recruitment is that those sororities have such limited space available in their pledge classes after all the legacies and girls they knew in high school, etc. I think what they also don't realize is that even though the other sororities aren't the OMGTOPTIER sorority on campus, the vast majority are among the strongest chapters of their respective GLOs in terms of numbers, social, philanthropy, housing...pretty much any aspect you could imagine! It's an incredible Greek system.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
From talking to my friends it seems like a lot of girls drop out of recruitment at SC...it seems to be the quintessential type of recruitment we can't stand on GC where the overwhelming majority of women decide they only want to be in part of certain sororities from the onset (not you necessarily Trojan01). Although I would be shocked if being a sophomore seemed to hurt you...my friend in XYZ today (which is seen as extremely strong) said that about a third of their pledge class is sophomores.

Growing up where I was from (Southern California) there were certain sororities that it just seemed like "everybody" was a part of and many of my friends who went through SC recruitment only focused on those. What many PNMs don't realize about USC recruitment is that those sororities have such limited space available in their pledge classes after all the legacies and girls they knew in high school, etc. I think what they also don't realize is that even though the other sororities aren't the OMGTOPTIER sorority on campus, the vast majority are among the strongest chapters of their respective GLOs in terms of numbers, social, philanthropy, housing...pretty much any aspect you could imagine! It's an incredible Greek system.
What she said!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard Gamma Phi took 64 and quota was 60.

Does anyone know how Sigma Delta Tau did? They just colonized last year.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

SC Panhellenic Numbers from 2007

These are the numbers from SC last year as printed in the Daily Trojan from an article by the Panhellenic President. In 2007 there were nine sororities.

In 2007 836 women participated in recruitment. Of those 606 received bids. Quota was 62 with five houses taking 69. One house took 67.

As I recall all the houses took quota last year.

Daily Trojan reported today that 579 women accepted bids to the ten sororities now at SC. No other numbers were included in the article. (Sept. 4, 2008)

Last edited by Football Fan; 09-04-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added sentence...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Fewer Bids at SC Brings Disappointment

Last year at SC there were nine sorority chapters. In 2007 836 participated in recruitment and 606 accepted bids. The last invitational schedule went from 4 parties to 2, which was the way it has been for some years. Quota was 62. I believe all groups made quota or above.

This year, according to the campus newspaper, 850 pnms participated in recruitment. There was an addition of one new chapter. The party schedule before preference went from 5 parties to 2. Large numbers of pnms dropped out. Out of the 850 there were fewer bids accepted in 2008....579 for the 10 houses. Not all the chapters made quota, unfortunately, which was 60.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Opinion Piece from Someone who did not get a bid....

FYI - click on the link below for an article from the Daily Trojan (USC's campus paper). The cartoon accompanying this opinion piece is certainly NOT very flattering is it? Wonder if the artist is Greek

http://www.dailytrojan.com/home/inde...f-ec9f56816a81

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 09-05-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: corrected a typo and deleted a smiley
Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

quote from article

Quote:
About 750 girls were left when I finally quit rush on the last morning of formal recruitment. I had walked straight into the jaws of rejection and finally I was fed up with being treated like a second-rate citizen.
Football fan -- If so many people are QUITTING the process before even getting to the end, I can't say I have any sympathy for them. Like the article author, I have no doubts many of them went in knowing which groups they didn't want or "couldn't fit into"... so when their "top" choices dropped them, they quit.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

USC recruitment

Dropping from 5 possible invitations down to 2 for preference seems like a big change to me, especially when there are only 10 NPC sororities on the campus.

Am I the only person that thinks this is a bit odd?