GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,610
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, banntjnry576
» Online Users: 1,214
3 members and 1,211 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-27-2003, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
University of Southern California Expansion Update

Ok, I just talked to the old panhellenic representative (and new president) of my local at USC and I got news about the status of expansion at SC.

Here's what she told me:

Basically, before expansion can happen at University of Southern California, a social interaction policy was put in place. Basically, this says that every fraternity must do something with each house before planning more events with a certain sorority. The reason for this is that right now, certain sororities have about ten plus exchanges, while others will only have one or two because they they are not considered top houses. If a new sorority were to come on at this point, it would be very hard for them to compete with all the other houses since fraternities might not want to do things with them because they are going to initially be so small. This is also being done to strengthen the non-"top" houses, and give more of an equal footing to everyone. This policy is not saying that each pairing must have a full out mixer, only that they have to do something with each sorority, whether it be a dinner, ice cream, a mixer, etc.

After a year or two of this policy being in place, panhellenic would send out invitations to nationals to come to USC. Then nationals would express interest, people from panhellenic and greek life would review these and eventually it would be sent to a vote for panhellenic (all 9 houses would have a vote....I'm not sure about Alpha Gamma Gamma though). So no expansion for USC right now, but it will be coming in the near future since so many houses are bursting at the seams with from 100some-over 200 for the national houses!!

---I'm so hoping that the Theta Sigma chapter of Kappa Delta will come back to USC!!!!! And AEPhi!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-2003, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope our Alphi Phi chapter at USC can come back. Them and Berekley were instrumental in forming practically every other Cali chapter, especially mine.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
I hope our Alphi Phi chapter at USC can come back. Them and Berekley were instrumental in forming practically every other Cali chapter, especially mine.
As for IFC, Theta Chi is actually going to be coming back to USC in two years (AND KICKING ZBT out of their house since Theta Chi Owns it!!!!!!!), and two years ago Delta Tau Delta came to USC. So I guess IFC is up for expansion (although I really don't know how IFC works!!) Ifsomeone knows anything about the whole IFC thing, let me know!!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's hoping that Delta Alpha Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta comes back! They were installed in 1923. I don't know when they went inactive.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:18 PM

How many fraternities are at USC? It's a lot more than sororities isn't it - can they double up, like 2 fraternities and one sorority? It sounds like a good idea, but it also seems like it will take a looooooooooong time.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
How many fraternities are at USC? It's a lot more than sororities isn't it - can they double up, like 2 fraternities and one sorority? It sounds like a good idea, but it also seems like it will take a looooooooooong time.
Ummmm, I believe there were 17 when I left, but since I left, Beta Theta Pi has been kicked off. During the time I was at school there, Phi Delta Theta was also kicked off. I believe Pike is on social probation or something still as well.

As for the doubling up, I believe that was an option, although I am not completely clear on it
Old 12-20-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

oooh and I just talked to a guy in ZBT and he says that now ZBT is the biggest house on campus. I wonder what's going to happen when they have to move out of their house??!!
Old 12-20-2003, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of Southern California Expansion Update

Quote:
Originally posted by absolutuscchick
Ok, I just talked to the old panhellenic representative (and new president) of my local at USC and I got news about the status of expansion at SC.

Here's what she told me:

Basically, before expansion can happen at University of Southern California, a social interaction policy was put in place. Basically, this says that every fraternity must do something with each house before planning more events with a certain sorority. The reason for this is that right now, certain sororities have about ten plus exchanges, while others will only have one or two because they they are not considered top houses. If a new sorority were to come on at this point, it would be very hard for them to compete with all the other houses since fraternities might not want to do things with them because they are going to initially be so small.
absolutuscchick,

This will probably not be the case.

Indiana University, (like most schools...check the "Top Tier/Mid Tier" thread) had a similar problem where the stronger fraternities would not do social things with the "weaker" (for lack of a better word) sororities.

When AOII returned to campus, many fraternities JUMPED at the chance to schedule social events with this new group becuase they wanted to be the first to "get in good" with the new sorority.

From what I've been told...they've had no problem schedule social events and they've had a healthy social life since then.

This almost sounds like the same philosophy of "lets not allow our greek system to expand, because it will kill the weaker groups".

But who knows...I'm certainly not an expert at these things, just speaking from my experience...and I'm sure USC and IU have somewhat similar greek systems (i.e. competitive)!

On the bright side...this will be good for the greek system! Now GLO members will have a better chance of meeting new people and expanding their circle of friends.

I wish that Chi Phi could return to USC...our chapter left their in the late 90s. I think LXA has our house now.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I know it won't be AOII that expands back on to USC's campus. We tried to help out the chapter there twice and it closed....So many things need to be in place for a successful expansion. It stinks when it doesn't work out, which is why a lot of times it's a slow process.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:22 PM

Quote:
[i]and two years ago Delta Tau Delta came to USC. [/B]
It makes no difference, but just for the record, this was a recolonization.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: University of Southern California Expansion Update

This almost sounds like the same philosophy of "lets not allow our greek system to expand, because it will kill the weaker groups".

It is the philosophy, I personally see nothing wrong with it. A lot of the reason NPC was formed was to help each other keep chapters and gain members. I think it was a smart thing those women did in banding their organizations together under the unanimous agreements and I think it's great that USC wants to make sure all the chapters are completely strong before allowing more orgs. onto campus.