GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,459
0 members and 2,459 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2005, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

UCF doesn't do this. NM's get a Panhellenic ribbon on Bid Day, but once you get to your sorority house you don't wear it.

During initiation week, all members wear ribbons.

The only way we identify our new members is by getting to know them and giving them lettered items.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
ive never heard of this...but I like it! Although the Owls usually give their girls a green ribbon to tie to their purse or something, but I don't know if it has the same symbolism or if they just kept it because it was pretty.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter gives out ribbons on Bid Day, then we have the official "pinning" of our new members a little bit later. Most of us wear our brown and mode ribbons on our backpacks.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Our new members get their new member pins at NM ceremony, like jharb said. They also get wine and blue ribbons to wear with their NM pins; I still have mine.

For "everyday" wear, we have little wooden arrow pins for the new members called "woodies", which is kind of ridiculous but cute. They're about the size of our badge, and they're for the girls to wear with jeans or whatever since the real NM pin is only for "pin attire". Some classes rarely wear their woodies, but our new members this spring were all about them.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never even heard of this. All our sororites give bags (some are canvas, there's the occasional sorority that gives a vera bradley bag, and other good sized bags) that most of the girls use them as bookbags for at least a month, if not longer. Some soph/jrs still use their bags if they're still clean and what not. They're given on bid day and filled with different things. We give a composite, a embrodiered towel, and then different stuff each year. I know I loved carrying around my bag, proclaiming my greek-self. Plus it was easy to spot all your pledge sisters who you didn't know yet and the sisters could see their new pledge class and wave.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthernXO
I've never even heard of this. All our sororites give bags (some are canvas, there's the occasional sorority that gives a vera bradley bag, and other good sized bags) that most of the girls use them as bookbags for at least a month, if not longer. Some soph/jrs still use their bags if they're still clean and what not. They're given on bid day and filled with different things. We give a composite, a embrodiered towel, and then different stuff each year. I know I loved carrying around my bag, proclaiming my greek-self. Plus it was easy to spot all your pledge sisters who you didn't know yet and the sisters could see their new pledge class and wave.
I'm jealous of the girls that get Vera Bradley bags on bid day.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I LOVE THAT IDEA (RIBBONS, I WANT TO DO THAT) !!!!! Would that have to be a panhellenic thing or could one sorority start it alone? I mean, it wouldnt be considered hazing or anything, right? Do initiated sisters wear them too (for a while) so as not to "haze" new members?

Can some one send me a picture (attached to this thread) of what they look like. I am picturing anything from little baby ribbons tied in a knot to crazy long ribbins (like homecoming mums or whatever). I am going to talk to our new member coordinator and get her to do that.

Last edited by ADPi Conniebama; 07-28-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

connie, it's just ribbon(probably 3 to 4 inches in length), usually grosgrain, maybe 1/4 to1/2 wide in your sororities colors, that are tied together in a knot in the middle-for us it would be 1 gray and 1 turquoise, or as close as we could come to turquoise. they would get them in a little ceremony at the house on bid day and then on another day shortly after that they would go thru their formal pledging ceremony, where they would receive their pledge pin. it would not be considered hazing, because it is to be worn until they receive their pledge pin, but they can keep the ribbons. they would get lots of bid day loot too.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of Toronto did this many, many, many years ago (I've sisters active from the 70s and earlier talk about wearing ribbons around campus during homecoming and the like).
Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
ADPi has a ribbon thing in between the alpha pin and the diamond pin, but I want the NM's to have something the day they accept a bid, besides, > Bid Day T, ADPi stuff - bumper sticker etc. I would love for the NM's to have a "ribbon pin" to wear everywhere the first few days (week) so sisters know and so they can "show off" their greek affiliation.

It just seems like something I would have wanted as a new pledge. I would still like a picture or something.

Have a great day.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPi Conniebama
I would love for the NM's to have a "ribbon pin" to wear everywhere the first few days (week) so sisters know and so they can "show off" their greek affiliation.

It just seems like something I would have wanted as a new pledge. I would still like a picture or something.

Have a great day.
You can do it campus-wide, or start the trend yourselves (that's what we're about, remember? ). We did it in two different ways:

Using 1/4" satin ribbon in azure blue & white, tied in bows about two inches wide, with somewhat longer ends (for unraveling) - this is the better way to go with New Members (and sisters should wear them, too, or else it WOULD be hazing), or

Take the same ribbons, and cut a length about 3" long. Fold them in half, but spread them apart a little, so they make a ^ shaped ribbon. These should be ironed, if you go this way.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

At UF, all the sororities gave out ribbons to their pledges.

I still have mine...

We also received a gold lavalier with our letters

I have that too!

We didn't get "bid day loot".... but we had "pledge pockets" on a wall in the house. Everyday you came in the house, you would find the pocket with your name on it filled with little goodies from the sisters.. mainly candy... but other little items like stickers, pencils, etc. all with notes attached.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
When a bid was accepted the new member was "ribboned" on the spot. The ribbon consisted of two 1/4" satin ribbons (rose and white of course!) tied in the middle with a single knot. This was worn where the provisional member or badge is worn.

She wears this until her pledging ceremony, when she receives her provisional member pin.

We also wear 1/8" ribbons tied the same under our badges for memorial ceremonies or in honor of a new colony installation. Rose and white is worn under our badges for rededication ceremonies.

I love my ribbons!!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel

but we had "pledge pockets" on a wall in the house. Everyday you came in the house, you would find the pocket with your name on it filled with little goodies from the sisters.. mainly candy... but other little items like stickers, pencils, etc. all with notes attached.
We do this too! we decorate little envelopes on NM Night and during the first week we get little hints at who our big is, then we have a ritual to find that out, and then we get all sorts of crazy stuff related to our sorority... then we use the pockets to leave encouragement notes n stuff during pledge periods
Old 07-29-2005, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

we used ribbons-I have mine framed along with my member card and certificate.