GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 1,974
1 members and 1,973 guests
FrankJScott

Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Southern California Recruitment

Nine NPC chapters will participate in formal recruitment at SC beginning Tuesday, August 24, with an evening orientation. SDT will have informal recruitment.

All registered potential new members must have completed the alcohol education requirement before participating in formal or informal recruitment.

As of three days ago about 800 women have registered. This is a large number since only about 1300 to 1400 women are in the entering class. Many sophomores do receive bids at this campus.

Party schedule: Visit 9 chapters in formal rush
Visit up to 6 chapters by invitation
Visit up to 4 chapters by invitation
Visit up to 2 chapters by invitation for Preference

Bid Night is Sunday, August 29th. Note: Since a record number of pnms registered there might be some change in the schedule posted.

Presents will take place in October.

Last edited by Football Fan; 08-26-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

LIFESAVER! Literally...I wasn't aware that we had to complete the alcohol education thing to be able to participate and I'd yet to do it.

It was meant to be, I swear!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Website

It is stated on the SC Panhellenic website. I think it may be a new requirement this year, so women may have missed it on the SC site.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter, who went through last year, didn't have that requirement. I strongly suspect that it has not been well advertised. I'm sure that something will be done/said at Orientation.

I can say that all the houses are READY for this recruitment. They have been working so hard. Good luck to all!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What's presents?

Good luck to all the girls!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
What's presents?

Good luck to all the girls!
Presents is a USC tradition that occurs on Parent's Weekend. On Saturday, all the sororities hold a Presents party where the new members of the chapter are introduced or "presented" to the rest of the campus. The new members wear white dresses (think Debutante style) and the houses are all decorated. I think UCLA has a similar tradition, although theirs seems a bit more low-key.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a crazy time of year for all the houses...fraternity rush started yesterday with the kick-off party on the quad. Today is the first day where all houses will be hosting an open-house party on the row...the rushees will check out as many houses as they can while eating the food which, if past years are any indication, will range from In-n-Out Burger to Morton's Steakhouse to a Hawaiian style pig on a skewer. From the on, it will be three days of off-campus events (comedy clubs, sports games, gun ranges, indoor skydiving and, unfortunately, a strip club here and there) before Blue Chip Dinner (the fraternity equivalent of pref...you attend one house's dinner at either a restaurant or impressive alumni's house in a suit). Pledge classes will be decided from the attendees at Blue Chip.

Good luck to all the fraternities and sororities!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You must explain In N Out to non SoCal people.

And Presents is a huge deal in southern California. If anyone is interested go to the USC Panhellenic site and go to photos from each house. Most have posted pictures from last year's Presents. Also, in my daughter's recruitment thread, FootballFan was kind enough to post pictures of TriDelta's Presents. That definitely gives you an idea of what Presents is like!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post

And Presents is a huge deal in southern California. If anyone is interested go to the USC Panhellenic site and go to photos from each house. Most have posted pictures from last year's Presents. Also, in my daughter's recruitment thread, FootballFan was kind enough to post pictures of TriDelta's Presents. That definitely gives you an idea of what Presents is like!
I think Presents is one of the most unique experiences at USC. The other tradition that is hard to find at other campuses is deliveries...every chapter holds their Monday Night Dinner before chapter, guys in suits, girls usually in dresses. The pledges from the respective houses (although I've heard that now many sororities use their actives until the new members are initiated to avoid hazing...a little overkill, but it is what it is) will make delivery runs to the other chapters.

Let's say I had a great date with a sorority girl, or just wanted to acknowledge an inside joke to a friend in another chapter. I'd buy her a delivery and then one of the pledges would go over during dinner and announce, "I am [insert name] from [insert chapter], and I have a delivery for [insert girl's name." Everybody claps and the girl gets her delivery. The deliveries themselves could be a dozen roses, a cheap but funny dollar store trinket or something outrageous (a pinata with her favorite candy, a stuffed animal with alcohol concealed inside to make it past the house mom and the security guard at the door, etc).

The craziest dinners were after one of our invites where it felt like each sorority would have dozens of deliveries for guys in our house (their dates). Also intense were when one of the fraternities was planning on asking a sorority to an exchange...in this case, the deliveries would number in the dozens, not to mention that every girl in the chapter would usually get a rose and that there were usually elaborate song and dance routines asking the sorority to an exchange.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

(I'm trying to work, but this is not working....)

When I was at SC (and UCLA) they definitely had Presents. But delivieries...no....Monday night dinners were known for candle passings...and then serenading.

My daughter has told me about deliveries. In the time of my grandmother it might have been called "old time courting." Lovely and fun.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We had Pledge Presents at ASU (Arizona) but it was individuals chapters and not the entire NPC and this was back in '91

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohhh...Presents really sounds lovely. Deliveries sound like they could be so much fun. What a way to liven up a Monday night!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen pictures from Presents. So pretty!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post

San Diego State has presents as well. Due to the size of many of the new member classes over the past few years, they have had to move it from the house to a hotel. I loved having at the house, but understand it's a size issue.

GPhiB
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
Also intense were when one of the fraternities was planning on asking a sorority to an exchange...in this case, the deliveries would number in the dozens, not to mention that every girl in the chapter would usually get a rose and that there were usually elaborate song and dance routines asking the sorority to an exchange.
We had something similar - Phi Delta Theta held "Kiss and Carnation" on Bid Night to welcome each sorority pledge to the greek system. Each would get (you guessed it!) a kiss and carnation from a Phi Delt.

One year, one of our sisters had just gotten her black belt, so when they arrived, she was in the line for K&C, and the sister checking the list said, "Oh, you don't have one of the pledges, Carol." They quickly added her, and the Phi Delt who was to give her a carnation got flipped instead!