GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,362
1 members and 1,361 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush from a junior/community college

Hi everyone,

I'm a new student at Santa Fe College in Gainesville, FL. I wasn't accepted into our neighbor school, UF (budget cuts, I hate them!), but I'm still interested in rushing a GLO at the university.

My question is, would it be possible to receive a bid from a junior college such as Santa Fe?

I attended 1 day of Fall Rush '08 just to test the waters, as I'm new at the whole greek system. I fell into the hands of our local (edited) chapter and enjoyed how welcoming they were to me. A brother told me that they would extend a bid to a student at SFC (I believe he told me he was actually a current student at Santa Fe as well), but I'm left asking if this is actually true, or just filling me with false hope.

I haven't found any information about rushing from a junior college, so I was hoping we may even be able to compile a little bit of information for those that are searching around as I was.

Thanks very much,

Gatorbait0722

Last edited by gatorbait0722; 11-02-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

i know with the national panhellenic sororities, the potential new member is required to be a full time student at the college where she is seeking sorority membership. i don't know what the fraternities national organizations set for them.

although i have heard uf administration is cracking down, i do know that some uf fraternities have pledged men attending santa fe.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

I guess what you're saying, is basically that I should just search around for a fraternity that would offer me a bid?

I appreciate your help
Old 11-02-2008, 03:36 PM

No! She is saying do research to find out the deal. Dont seek out a fraternity soley because they may offer you a bid. That is fraternity shopping and is no different than sorority shopping. It makes you look desparate for a bid to anyone who will take you.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That's not what I meant! But I appreciate the advice!

I guess my wording was a little off, but what I meant was more a long the lines of:

I should search around for the fraternities that would allow me to rush (being from a different school), then make my choices from there.

I don't want to go to every rush event and waste my time with an organization that wont even allow my pledgeship

Edit: I'd also like to add, since I'm considering rushing from Santa Fe (which is the junior school next to UF), my choices are probably a little limited already anyways. But I completely understand where you're coming from. I guess I should just go onto the IFC website and ask each chapter whether or not they'll accept a SFC student, then do my research and make a smart decision with which fits me best?

Last edited by gatorbait0722; 11-02-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know Auburn fraternities extend bids to the nearby community college. It's possible I guess.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Forgive my ignorance, but I though Sante Fe was now a full fledged 4-Year college.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I though Sante Fe was now a full fledged 4-Year college.
Well, that's a kind of touchy subject. Florida is trying to rehash all of their community colleges into just "colleges", some of which are offering 4-year bachelors degrees that the universities don't offer.

The thing is, Santa Fe still has an open door admissions policy, so in my mind it's nothing more than a junior college.

I really would like UF to just take over SFC, haha (3 of my professors at Santa Fe teach at UF, also).

It would even be cool if UF would allow SFC students to take part in their organizations (such as greek life).
Old 11-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
A lot depends on the campus. All the FSU fraternities that have (been exposed to have) offered bids to men at TCC have gotten into trouble for it.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
A lot depends on the campus. All the FSU fraternities that have (been exposed to have) offered bids to men at TCC have gotten into trouble for it.
Really? What kind of trouble?

I'd hate to see a house get kicked off campus (if the school would go that far) for accepting a student from another school, such as myself.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that at A&M, they extend bids to Blinn students; and at UT, some extend bids to ACC students, but they are contingent on the student transferring to the university.

At A&M recently, one fraternity got into some hot water with either their nationals or the alumni board (I'm not sure which) for pledging some Blinn guys and they had to de-pledge, with the stipulation that when/if they got into A&M, they would automatically be brought back into the fraternity and not have to go through "pledgeship" again.

So, IOW, it is possible - depends on the fraternities at the university and what their policies are.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

From my understanding, there are many fraternities at Florida schools that have extended bids to local community college students. You're just not put on the official roster of your chapter until you transfer over.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
From my understanding, there are many fraternities at Florida schools that have extended bids to local community college students. You're just not put on the official roster of your chapter until you transfer over.
Panther, is your name related to UPitt?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbait0722 View Post
Panther, is your name related to UPitt?
You mean like, excluding florida international.

Btw, I'd totally be in favor of an all Florida league, I think it'd be pretty competitive.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
You mean like, excluding florida international.

Btw, I'd totally be in favor of an all Florida league, I think it'd be pretty competitive.
an all Florida league? What is that?