GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,607
1 members and 1,606 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Researching NPC Sororities

Hey yall, I'll be going through rush in a month (scary). While I was getting recs I went through and researched each sorority represented at my school. After reviewing all of the different sorority's mottos, purposes, etc, I have favorities.

Is it bad that I want to be in certain sororities because I like what they stand for?
I know I have to click with the members of the chapters, but to me, being in a sorority is more than just a social experience , and anything I plan on being apart of...FOR LIFE...has to be in-line with my own morals/values and aspirations...

Am I wrong?

..and if you dont have anything nice to say, please dont say anything at all. thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

No, there's no problem, but you'll probably be pleasantly surprised that they're all pretty likely to back up similar morals/values, etc.

If I were you, I wouldn't rule anyone in or out until you actually go through recruitment. If you want to look back at your research when you are filling out your final ranking to get matched to a group, that's great, but up until that point, you probably want to keep an open mind.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Um, I think you'll find that on a national level, there aren't going to be sororities that are OUT of line with your own morals. While based in tradition, a lot of what you'll find on the web sites is written by PR-type people.

Also why are you specifying that you only want people to be nice? If you have to specify, you're asking for it. In fact, it implies that you KNOW you asked a stupid question (and yes, elementary school teachers of the world, they DO exist).
Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Just also remember that the chapters are choosing their members. This is often forgotten by PNMs and it sets them up for heartbreak when the inevitable cuts happen.

At Bama the chapters must narrow a pool of 1600 PNMs to a pledge class of 80ish. Great girls will be cut just due to numbers.

I say this not to scare you off but to remind you to keep perspective on the whole thing. It would be very unwise to go in with favorites as it will only heighten the disapointment that will be felt should you get cut from that chapter.

Bama is full of wonderful chapters that all have great national reputations, stand for high ideals, and give back to the community through great philanthropies. You should be able to identify with some element of all of the chapters there.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

no ive just seen some of the rude things that have been said to people looking for advice, and comments like yours arent asked for. thanks..but no thanks.

& thank you UGAalum & Blondie93 for your advice, I appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, my bad. Totally see what you mean.

OMGosh!!!!!!!!1111one I'm SO glad you've made the decision to rush! EVERY sorority is fAbUlOuS in it'z own way! When you go into your competitive recruitment you should totally just talk about how much you like an org's mottos and symbols! "OMGosh, you guys support _______ philanthropy? ME TOOO!!!!! Let's talk about your colors now!"

Good luck and make sure you come back two months after recruitment to post a thread under a different name about your experience! (I'd make a sequined hose joke here, but I feel like that should just die already).

See, that. That would be rude; its vanilla aftertaste an insipid insult to anyone who may be reading it. If that was what you were looking for, congrats. If you've seen some of the rude things posted on here, then you should probably have picked up on the whole "if you have to ask that, it probably won't matter," school of thought.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Please do not limit your choices solely based on I/natl "mottos, purposes, etc". While each member and Chapter is committed to the same overall organizational goals, each member and Chapter can vary significantly from campus to campus.

Using Philanthropy as an example, you may like XYZ because their Philanthropy is something you strongly support. Or vice versa, it might be something you don't really care about. But it would be a mistake to focus on or dismiss a Chapter because of that. Keep in mind that every Chapter participates in a variety of philanthropy projects, not just the official I/natl supported cause.

Every PNM should look strongly at the actual members of that Chapter. Do your values, beliefs, interests, etc. mesh with those women who will be your (local) sisters? If you don't like/respect them even though you love the I/natl org, you won't enjoy your collegiate years as a member. If you wind up miserable you might not even stick around until the time you become an alum.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
Oh, my bad. Totally see what you mean.

OMGosh!!!!!!!!1111one I'm SO glad you've made the decision to rush! EVERY sorority is fAbUlOuS in it'z own way! When you go into your competitive recruitment you should totally just talk about how much you like an org's mottos and symbols! "OMGosh, you guys support _______ philanthropy? ME TOOO!!!!! Let's talk about your colors now!"

Good luck and make sure you come back two months after recruitment to post a thread under a different name about your experience! (I'd make a sequined hose joke here, but I feel like that should just die already).

See, that. That would be rude; its vanilla aftertaste an insipid insult to anyone who may be reading it. If that was what you were looking for, congrats. If you've seen some of the rude things posted on here, then you should probably have picked up on the whole "if you have to ask that, it probably won't matter," school of thought.
in all respect...that was totally unnecessary. but if it makes you feel better about yourself..
Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRushee09 View Post
Hey yall, I'll be going through rush in a month (scary). While I was getting recs I went through and researched each sorority represented at my school. After reviewing all of the different sorority's mottos, purposes, etc, I have favorities.

Is it bad that I want to be in certain sororities because I like what they stand for?
I know I have to click with the members of the chapters, but to me, being in a sorority is more than just a social experience , and anything I plan on being apart of...FOR LIFE...has to be in-line with my own morals/values and aspirations...

Am I wrong?

..and if you dont have anything nice to say, please dont say anything at all. thanks
Quote:
no ive just seen some of the rude things that have been said to people looking for advice, and comments like yours arent asked for. thanks..but no thanks.

& thank you UGAalum & Blondie93 for your advice, I appreciate it.
Quote:
in all respect...that was totally unnecessary. but if it makes you feel better about yourself..

QFP.

So it's okay for the OP to be rude, as long as no one is rude in their replies to her?

Not a way to endear yourself to a new crowd. But go ahead and try that sort of approach during rush. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just because they're not asked for doesn't mean they're not valid.

You're gonna lose this battle, just so you know.

ETA: It'd be swell if you would capitalize, use proper punctuation, and learn the difference between apart and a part.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
Um, I think you'll find that on a national level, there aren't going to be sororities that are OUT of line with your own morals. While based in tradition, a lot of what you'll find on the web sites is written by PR-type people.
I have to agree with this. If you look at all the websites side by side, they basically all spout the same ideals: life long friendship, scholastic achievement, philanthropy, and values/ethics -- they might just word it in a slightly different manner.

So given that, I personally think you should look past the mottos/purpose/etc because you're basically saying "I have my favorites because these groups wrote out the same ideals in a more eloquent way in their motto"

At a school like Bama, I also think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't know anything about you or what your pnm profile has on it, but FR is very very competitive there and even girls with perfect GPAs, 10000 hrs of community service and pageant sashes get cut.

I just think you should base your favorites on the women you meet at FR and keep an open mind. There might be a group that doesn't have such eloquent wording on their website but end up being the house for you when you get there. It would be a shame to discount them because their motto isn't as fancily-worded.
GreekChat Member

Thanks for Q'ingFP kddani, I knew there was something forgotten here.

As a complete aside I'm sure you will take offense to, you don't have to use the clause "in all respect." I don't think I've ever seen a respectful statement come after it. It's up there with "may or may not be" on my list of pointless phrases.

It shouldn't have made me feel better at myself, and if you had taken the actual high road here instead of making yourself feel like you had, it wouldn't have. But I'm going to compare this situation to when you go to the Wal-Mart on the bad side of town: you are easily the cleanest and most attractive person there. As a stand-alone, that doesn't make you feel better. But when one of those people blocks an entire aisle and is then rude when you say "excuse me," to get past.... yup. It's just like an Internet Superiority Complex.

Edit: I feel I should add this so I don't get flamed for my Wal-Mart statement. In my town, there are nice and not-nice discount supercenters. By "not-nice," I mean you're likely to see a fifty-something woman wearing a shirt that reads "I'm a virgin..... but this shirt is old."

Last edited by annabella; 07-02-2009 at 11:41 AM.
GreekChat Member

thank you UGAalum, Blondie, zillini, texasprincess, and AOEforme for your advice. yall pretty much said the same thing so im going to take that and run with it.

goodbye greek chat..no need getting worked up over people....behind computers.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
goodbye greek chat..no need getting worked up over people....behind computers.
aaaaaaaaand...FLOUNCE!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
ETA: How were Zillini, texasprincess, and Blondie rude at all? I can't even think of how you could interpret those as rude.
I think she was identifying those who weren't rude. (She'll probably take you off that list, now. )