GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,699
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, BillyBobThorton
» Online Users: 1,492
0 members and 1,492 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Choosing the right house!!!!

im a senior right now planning on rushing in the fall and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for picking good house's during rush. i really wanna join a house but what if i join the wrong one?!?!? how do u know if its the right house and the right fit??? please help me!!!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCheerBabii View Post
im a senior right now planning on rushing in the fall and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for picking good house's during rush. i really wanna join a house but what if i join the wrong one?!?!? how do u know if its the right house and the right fit??? please help me!!!!!!
The only way you can join the "wrong" house is by not paying attention to what you feel about each house and spending too much time paying attention to what other people think about the houses. You are joining a sorority for the rest of your life and going to spend 4 years daily living with these women...the people giving their opinions during recruitment week don't have to live with your decision, you do, so make sure your decision is the right one for YOU!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Start with writing in full sentences and using appropriate punctuation.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Out of all the people to flame, I don't think it is this girl...

RebelCheerBabii - When you go through recruitment, you'll get the chance to visit every sorority. During the week, you narrow down your choices little by little. By seeing which girls you click with the most and who you feel most comfortable around, you'll probably start to pick out some favorites. You'll also be learning about the different philanthropies throughout the week and you'll probably cultivate some interest surrounding those two. Overall, you just sort of get a feeling of where you'll fit in. Plus, it never hurts to check out the Greek Life website of your school and the individual sorority webpages.I hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Keep in mind that the recruitment process is about mutual selection. So as you are looking at the different sororities and attempting to discern which are the best fit for you, the chapters are looking at which girls are the best fit for them as well.

There is no "sure fire" way of determining which one is the best fit. You just have to go through recruitment, meet the different women in the chapters, learn more about them, and your opinions will start to form from there.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

lol thanx but u guyz didnt answer my question!!!! what i ment is is their anyway u can tell which houses are good and which arent....... i wanna make sure a house that seams cool during rush doesnt end up being totally diferent. how can u tell which houses are for real and which are just pretending to be cool?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
LOL, thanks, but you guys didn't answer my question. What I meant is, is there any way you can tell which houses are good and which aren't. I want to make sure a house that seems cool during rush doesn't end up being totally different. How can you tell which houses are for real and which are just pretending to be cool?
If all you're interested in is being part of the "cool" or "popular" house...don't bother rushing. Please reread what the previous posters have said, and TRY to process it.

Although, if your ghastly spelling and grammar skills are indicative of your overall academic fitness, I don't think you have to worry about college, period.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-11-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
lol thanx but u guyz didnt answer my question!!!! what i ment is is their anyway u can tell which houses are good and which arent....... i wanna make sure a house that seams cool during rush doesnt end up being totally diferent. how can u tell which houses are for real and which are just pretending to be cool?
I did.

You can't really determine that.

Also "good and "bad" are subjective terms. What one girl thinks is great about one chapter may really turn the next girl off to them.

You're looking for some sort of "magic checklist" to determine whether something is for you or not. There isn't.

Check out some of the recruitment stories posted here, everyone ranked their choices a certain way after after Pref for different reasons.

Also, seams are in jeans. It seems as if you are using the wrong word.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-11-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

i have a 3.8 gpa and am in NHS so i'm defff smart! i'm sorry if my spelling annoys you i didn't realize that this was an essay test lol!

i don't care that much if the house is popular, i just don't want to be with a bnuch of nerds who never have fun. ive herd that during rush people try to look and act there best and i want to make sure the girls who seam cool during rush arent actually the nerds just acting cool so they can get girls. like i said, theres nothing wrong with that i just kno i wont fit in with girls like that cuz i like to go out and talk to boys and stuff. thats why im wondering if theres a way to kno if the girls are cool or not cuz i wanna make sure wherever i pledge has girls who like shopping and parties and stuff, not just school and homework!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
i have a 3.8 gpa and am in NHS so i'm defff smart! i'm sorry if my spelling annoys you i didn't realize that this was an essay test lol!

i don't care that much if the house is popular, i just don't want to be with a bnuch of nerds who never have fun. ive herd that during rush people try to look and act there best and i want to make sure the girls who seam cool during rush arent actually the nerds just acting cool so they can get girls. like i said, theres nothing wrong with that i just kno i wont fit in with girls like that cuz i like to go out and talk to boys and stuff. thats why im wondering if theres a way to kno if the girls are cool or not cuz i wanna make sure wherever i pledge has girls who like shopping and parties and stuff, not just school and homework!
You are asking a question that does not have a "sure fire" answer and yet you keep asking it over and over.

It's considered very taboo to ask about a chapter's partying habits during recruitment. So I hope you don't plan to ask this question during the process.

FYI: Typically a chapter has many different people in it.

Example: If a chapter has like 100 girls in it, they are not all going to enjoy doing the SAME things. Everyone has some different interests and you'd be hard pressed to find some girls that don't share yours.

I have never met a chapter full of girls who were complete hermits who hate doing anything social.

Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but it IS possible to "talk to boys and stuff" and be serious about your schoolwork at the same time.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You do realize that you need that school and homework to be in the sorority right? And you need to always put your best foot forward, because you never know who is watching.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

When you get accepted by the college of your choice, go to its site, and read what EVERYTHING that is said by the Panhellenic about Recruitment. Then, knowing which chapters are at your school, check out their websites, too. Please realize that there are no sororities which are Nerd Loser Nerd.

Register for Recruitment. Go to maximum number of parties to which you are invited, no matter what. Know what is important to you, and realize that, while you are prioritizing which sororities you like, they are doing the same. You like shopping? Ask about shopping. You like shoes, ask about shoes. They will be doing the same thing. This will go on until Pref, when you will be down to 2 or 3 sororities. After the Pref parties, rank your choices. With any luck at all, you will receive a bid to one of the sororities.

It's really not rocket science. You will know where you feel at home, and I have this feeling that you will not be confused as to which sororities would suit you, but please keep in mind that they need to feel that you will fit in, too.

Just for the sake of continuity, will you please come back in the fall and post your Recruitment Story? I, for one, would be thrilled to read it.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggirl617 View Post
Out of all the people to flame, I don't think it is this girl...
ORLY?

Quote:
Looks flame worthy to me. How can people answer a Greekdom question when the person doesn't seem ready for college, let alone Greekdom?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

Your high school sucks.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Your high school sucks.
Words out of my mouth.