GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,654
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Artisancne
» Online Users: 997
1 members and 996 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

How do sororities feel about

body modifications?

I'm going to a college quite a bit away from home, it's pretty small(1,500 people), and I don't know anyone going. I've always thought about joining a sorority, but now i've decided I definitely want to.

Now, I don't have anything serious. My lip is pierced, and I have a stud in it, I have a hoop through my nose, a belly ring, and one tattoo on my back so it's not visible.
But i'm nervous- there are only three sororities on campus, and I don't want to be cut just because I have them. But at the same time, i'm not willing to get rid of them just yet.

So, what would you say is the general feeling about body mods ?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought like a boob job is a body mod?

Oh and we don't know the culture of your campus.

If it's Bob Jones Uni, then maybe not.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erynnari View Post
body modifications?

I'm going to a college quite a bit away from home, it's pretty small(1,500 people), and I don't know anyone going. I've always thought about joining a sorority, but now i've decided I definitely want to.

Now, I don't have anything serious. My lip is pierced, and I have a stud in it, I have a hoop through my nose, a belly ring, and one tattoo on my back so it's not visible.
But i'm nervous- there are only three sororities on campus, and I don't want to be cut just because I have them. But at the same time, i'm not willing to get rid of them just yet.

So, what would you say is the general feeling about body mods ?
Look at the sorority members on campus and assess their style. If they have piercings other than ears and such, you're probably OK. But if the majority of the girls are walking around in polo shirts and pearls or other very classic/conservative dress on a daily basis, you should probably take them out for rush.

ETA: Look through some of these posts/threads.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...archid=5995908

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/se...archid=5995917

Last edited by 33girl; 05-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone remember when this story was floating around? I think it was maybe april fool's a few years back. But it's definitely what I think of when I hear "body mods."

http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showpos...5&postcount=11
Old 05-08-2010, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I thought like a boob job is a body mod?

Oh and we don't know the culture of your campus.

If it's Bob Jones Uni, then maybe not.
It's a small liberal arts college, comparable to Miami University(OH)

@33girl - Those links didn't work
Old 05-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Try these:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=94496&highlight=tame

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...light=piercing

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Like everything in life, some people will judge you based on your appearance and others won't.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you put those clear things, whatever they're called, in your facial holes for rush?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Many sorority girls on my campus have tattoos and the small button nose piercing. No one has like a tattoo of a huge dragon with fire or anything really dramatic. Everything is done in modesty and is tasteful. I would have to agree with 33girl and assess how others are.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongreek View Post
Can you put those clear things, whatever they're called, in your facial holes for rush?
Spacers. Yes, I can. I thought about it, but it almost feels like lying. If they wouldnt accept me with them in for rush, why would they accept me with them in after ?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Spacers. Yes, I can. I thought about it, but it almost feels like lying. If they wouldnt accept me with them in for rush, why would they accept me with them in after ?
Well, I don't know what recruitment is like at your school, but they may not be appropriate accessories for recruitment. Same reason you may dress differently that week than you do normally.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe as a compromise between a ring and a spacer, you could put a small stud in your nose during recruitment? Not knowing your school it's impossible to say how people will react, but if that's all here to stay you just have to give it a shot. I personally think you should keep all your piercing jewelery as subtle as possible during recruitment, especially if it's something your concerned about.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You compared your campus to Miami Ohio, where most sorority women have a conservative, preppy look. The belly ring and back tattoo aren't a big deal, because those are easily covered with clothes. I'd remove the lip ring and put in a spacer and maybe just wear a diamond stud in your nose, if not a spacer. You want your rushers to focus on YOU, not your piercings. There has to be more to who you are than your piercings. Let the sororities see that.

Last edited by violetpretty; 05-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
You want your rushers to focus on YOU, not your piercings. There has to be more to who you are than your piercings. Let the sororities see that.
Think of recruitment as a job interview and how you are basically judged on the impression that you make in a short amount of time. Would you keep in your stud and ring for a job interview? I'm not saying to be a completely different person for that week, but as Violetpretty said, show off who you are and not allow the women you talk with to see beyond your facial piercings.

Again, it also depends on your campus culture and how prevalent facial piercings are among the sorority women. The same holds true for clothing selection - might be completely different for recruitment than what you wear every other day of the week. Basically you conform so you stand out for WHO you are rather than what you are wearing - if that makes any sense.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

You know...I finally looked up these clear spacers since I've never seen one. They look ugly and cheap. I'd much rather see someone with a nice, small, gold stud any day. It's not like these disappear. You see them, and they look...well, plastic. To the OP, just be tasteful. And, BTW, where is this "hoop through" your nose? Is it where most people get pierced or through the septum?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 05-09-2010 at 11:19 AM.